Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   X-Type ( X400 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/)
-   -   Lock Nut Stuck (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/lock-nut-stuck-65589/)

irishfirepics 12-28-2011 06:33 AM

Lock Nut Stuck

Right, I need to change the ABS sensor and my lock nut is rounded, The key opens all the other wheels except one, it just slips, the nut has a dome shape on it and that spins but the fixed part behind it seems to be a bit worn so the key cannot grip it. I have no idea how to get it off, Everything i try grips the spinning dome and not the actual nut.

HELP!!!!!

Thermo 12-28-2011 12:18 PM

Irish, if you want to know how to get this off, let me know. i don't want to post it here as this process can be used to override any locking lugnut and would rather keep this on the down low if you can understand that. I know of 2 different processes to get it off.

disguay 12-28-2011 01:57 PM

I was about to reply, but respect thermo's idea. We don't want our wheels to be stolen!!!! Good catch thermo

irishfirepics 12-29-2011 05:01 AM

Hi Thermo, would be great if you could give me some advice, need to get the wheel off, I was trying to PM you but it keeps saying that i do not have permissions, dont know why??

irishfirepics 12-29-2011 06:10 AM

Hi Thermo

I sent you a PM, I am able to send them now, must have had to make a few posts before i could send them. cheers.

Thermo 12-29-2011 10:58 AM

irish, PM sent. If you have any questions, let me know. Removing it will be easier than you think. Just need the specific things I mentioned.

Inky7 12-29-2011 11:32 PM

I've had this problem on a different car..... if you don't mind trashing the locknut you can cut a slot in it with an angle grinder (picture turning it into a big slotted screw) , pound a BIG square shank screwdriver into the slot, and turn it with a big cresent wrench... Do it while the nut is still hot from grinding the slot and it works like a charm

Not a lot of finess but it will work....

gmansubfm 12-26-2012 12:47 PM

Thermo I have the same problem with my x type could you help me out please as i have lost my lock nut key .... and I have a puncture and I can not get wheel off to change, thanks a million.

watsonri 06-30-2014 06:55 PM

spinning lock nut

I need to change the rear hub on my x type but can't get the wheel off because the lock nut is spinning. I have just joined the forum and noticed that you have helped others, PLEASE let me know how to remove the lock nut.

henry k 07-01-2014 03:11 AM

Jaguar are on a very slow learning curve.

Last Thursday I visited the Jaguar stand at The Goodwood festival of speed
and the launch of the F Type project 7.

To my amazement I saw those familiar locking nuts on the latest greatest XJ model.
Perhaps Jaguar do no view the torrent of comments about these locking nuts?