Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   X-Type ( X400 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/)
-   -   long way to go to find out the store is closed - brakes (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/long-way-go-find-out-store-closed-brakes-6029/)

bojangles 05-11-2008 12:07 PM

long way to go to find out the store is closed - brakes

Actually I dont know if that expression is suitable or not.. but I have been chasing crappy brakes for almost 18 months and 50k kmnow.

I got the car with shakey, and crappybrakes.. and sticky handbrake cables.
I read up here and decided to order RED STUFF pads.. and then got some el-cheapo rotors here locally.
The brakes were smooth for a while, but never stopped with any "bite" certainly no hope of locking up the summer tires.
THe pedal was low more times than not.. and I tinkered around off and on trying to improve them. I did find that the low pedal was due to the parking brake cables not working well. Once that was fixed the pedal was consistantly good. But the stopping was never any good.

Finally I drove another X-type a couple of weeks ago.. with stock brakes.. and it was very good.
So I spoke to Jag Genius and ordered a set of front OEM discs and pads.

WELL..... drum roll please.............. they work - Finally they work!!

I find it hard to believe that the Red stuff pads were crappy, and also hard to believe that the cheap discs could make the car stop so poorly.

At least the car is better. I suppose I should do the rears now.
Jag Genius.. wait a week for another pay cheque..

BuckMR2 05-11-2008 01:27 PM

RE: long way to go to find out the store is closed - brakes

I had the opposite experience...crap stock brakes which were taken directly (exactly same discs and pads up to 2004) from the UKs Ford Mondeo and expected to stop an AWD drive X type with a lot more weight!
They couldnt stop the car with foot down as far as it would go from 70mph on our UK motorways,very quicklygot worse until they werent stopping from 30mph around town.They were barely half worn too!!
Changed to the Redstuff but went the full hog with the EBC grooved and dimpled drilled discs which people said were just for show but the combination stops my car on a sixpence at any speed.Seems if your redstuff didnt stop your car the discs are the only other difference??
The redstuff was the best mod I have done to mine and safety is paramount to me especially with new(ish) baby in the family.
The main thing is we are both happy with our cars stopping now.For one thing my pads are expected to last a lot longer than stock and have virtually no brake dust and what little there is easily wipes off.They are still looking as good as new after around 18 months use.

[Edited BuckMR2 Spelling!]

bojangles 05-11-2008 02:21 PM

I thought the red stuffs were going to be great, for sure there was little if any dust.

my pads were really worn down after 50k km... (30k miles) almost to the wear limit.
I attribute this to the amount of pedal force I had to put on them to slow the car.

I wish that trouble shooting brake to disc friction was easier.. it is way to subjective for my engineer's mind.

paul11117606 06-24-2008 08:28 PM

Hi buckmr2, i'm wondering if those rotors and redstuff pads are still working out for you ok, i'm getting ready for pads and rotors on my 02 x sport.