Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   X-Type ( X400 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/)
-   -   At a loss (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/loss-171641/)

dasnyder70 10-28-2016 05:46 PM

At a loss

Ok we had some exhaust work done on our X Type to pass state inspection. The garage that did the work had to do some welding. Growing up with a welder for a father he would always disconnect the battery before welding, so not to cause problems in the fuse compartment, and I don't think these guys did.

When we took the car to the garage everything worked perfectly but when we picked it up my wife said there was no music playing in the radio (it was on with a station tuned in and would spin a cd but no music came from the speakers).

She then called me on my cell and said the drivers side air bag light was on in the instrument panel. When we arrived at the garage doing the state inspection the drivers side windows worked but the passenger side did not.

After we got the car back from being inspected the following day my wife said the passenger side butt warmer didn't work so I'm thinking blown fuses.

I checked all the fuses in both the cabin and under the hood and the only fuse I found that was blown was for the passenger windows, they work now.

So I guess my question is:
1 is there a fuse for the amplifier and if so where is the amp located?
2 could the passenger side butt warmer button have some how been compromised.
3 is there a way to reset the air bag pressure light, it is supposed to go out when someone sits in the seat but it stays on as well as the passenger side air bag pressure light.

Any advice is greatly appreciated and welcomed.

Thermo 10-29-2016 05:40 AM

dasnyder, what year X-Type are we talking about here? If it is a 2004, I will also need the build date of the vehicle (written in the driver's door jam). From the sounds of things, the power to the passenger seat has been interupted.

dasnyder70 10-29-2016 08:25 AM

She is a 2003. This by far is my wife's pride and joy, I think she likes it more than me:)

Thermo 10-29-2016 09:10 PM

dasnyder, I would first start with checking fuse F2 in the engine bay fuse box. Granted, I would think that if this fuse was bad, you would have a lot of other issues that would be present (engine not running, etc). Fuse F2 controls a lot of stuff that is switched on and off with the key via relay R18.

The only thing that seems to be truely common to all this stuff is the ground point. What I would say is to open the front passenger door and remove the sill plate. This will allow you to pull the carpetting back. You will also want to remove the plastic kick panel to expose the inertia switch (the ground point is located behind this plastic plate). You will then need to find the stud that has the ground wires attached to it and then hand over hand the wiring back to see if when they did the welding, they heated up the body of the car and damaged some wiring.

Granted, I have to ask the question of why aren't they fixing/paying for this? You took them a perfectly good car that needed a fairly simple repair. They gave you back a big pile of steamy ........