X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost my corner marker behind my dash?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts
Wink Lost my corner marker behind my dash?!?!?!

So I need to replace the lights in my corner markers, but have been delaying the repair because I have smoked vinyl over the side markers and turn signals on the sides. I got a gift card to the auto store so I tried to pull the corner marker and the plastic lens came off without the housing. I was a little pissed that I just screwed up my corner markers so I set the lens on my dash and pull away to the auto store. The first stop sign I pull up to I brake and the lens moves to the front of the dash and then disappears into the dashboard! I have tried EVERYTHING to try to find out where this thing is, but have no idea... I have even had the thought that Jaguar may have built these cars to secretly smuggle cocaine in the dashboard because it is IMPOSSIBLE to find this thing ... It isn't in the vents, but the area between the dash and the windshield. I cant even see the darn thing either!

Should I give up and buy a new corner marker or is there an easier way to get into the cocaine storage point at the front of the dash?

I wonder how much s*** of substantial monetary value is hiding in the dashboard of our cars

Old 11-10-2011, 09:22 PM
Veteran Member

I know someone has to have had this happen to them before! I really want to figure out how to get my corner marker, old credit cards, expired coupons, half dollars, and anything else that's hanging out back there back :P

Old 11-10-2011, 09:51 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

it could have went in the vent and fell to the bottom of the line running up to the vent. turn air on and see if you hear a rattle. my dash if you look closely where it meets the glass of the windsheild it is actually a yellow color of something under the dash. i figure it is some type of foam backing but dont know if you could lose somthing up there.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member

yeah, I see the yellow foam stuff too. I even tried to get to it from going up to the dash from where the pedals are and I can see the defroster vents, but not the slot that it fell in. I will go try the vent idea just to see if it is possibly stuck in there, but I think it's just in some sort of cranny that I can't get to... Looks like I might need to smoke another corner marker

Old 11-11-2011, 09:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Huh? I have no such space and no way anything could drop between the fore part of the dash and the windscreen on mine.

Old 11-12-2011, 04:39 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

foam stuff is kinda hard to notice or was for me. i had car for about a year before i seen it

Old 11-12-2011, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member

mohrd, on my car I can literally see the back of the dashboard which is what the yellow foam stuff is... And I really have no idea why there would be a space between the dash and windshield. Maybe gragner and I have had out windshields replaced with something not exactly to oem specs... That might the problem for me. I just want to know if I can get back there to resurrect everything I have lost.

Trending Topics

Old 11-15-2011, 12:01 AM
Veteran Member

Sorry to keep bumping this thread, but I really don't want to pay $50 for a new corner marker lens if I have one hiding behind my dashboard. Does anyone know if there is a hole to access this little nook from the underside of the dash? I have looked but haven't found anything

Old 11-15-2011, 09:18 AM
Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts
Default tight spots

I bought a inspection camera for this reason. It has a 9mm dia. w/ a 36" flex shaft, great color display w/ a bright LED.. It has saved me a few times. It's small enough to fit in most every where and if I have to drill a hole it;s easy to fill/cover/patch. enough on board memory for a good look and can down-load to a lap top or put on a TV screen.It's not cheaper than a new lens though. Just a thought. Good luck!!

Old 11-15-2011, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member

I might have to invest in one of those. Could you throw your camera down there real quick to check if there is anywhere for it to fall out?

Old 12-16-2011, 12:04 PM
Received 198 Likes on 106 Posts

Ok, for those that have lost something in the dash as i have (the black dome bezel that fits over the solar sensor to the left of the steering wheel just in back of the speaker grill) there is a wide and narrow piece with two slits in it to allow air to flow on windshield that fits over the air opening for the defrost to the windshield , there are two such baffles one on each side. The baffle can be removed by slipping a screw driver or something similar and prying it up and then pull forward. This will expose the internal air tunnel, you should be able to see whatever's inside from outside the car looking in , maybe use a flashlight, you still most likely cannot reach in a pull it oput because of the angle of the windshiel, ok now pull the small grill or baffle that would point the hot defrost air to the side or towards the driversside main window at that point you can take a wire hanger , bend it to make a hockey stick and use that to push whatever you are looking for and slide that towards the front of the baffle towards the windshield, if you still cannot reach whatever then turn the defrost on high so as to give a little boost of air to help push item out and then use vacuum to suck the item out of air tunnel, make sure you can either stop the small item from going into the vacuum bag or you can get into bag it goes thru, a shop vac with no bag will give you the best suction power and you can get to the inside to retrieve your item. This worked perfect for me, took about 10 minutes, took more time to get the dash baffle back in but it all worked perfect and now i have my black dome cover back in place. Good luck , hope this works for you. Mitchell

The following 2 users liked this post by vettegood:
billbjork (12-17-2011), disguay (12-16-2011)
Old 12-16-2011, 01:44 PM
Veteran Member

thanks!!!