Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 X-type key broke

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 09:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 X-type key broke

Hi,

I've been having problems with unlocking the door and starting the car for a while now. I would have to gently wiggle the key for up to 15 seconds to get the doors to unlock. Then it would take a few more wiggles to get the key turning in the ignition. Well this morning the key decided to snap in 2 at the switchblade. Thankfully the key part was sticking out of the lock so now I have the fob and the broken key in my hands. The local Jaguar dealer wants $600 per key and they have no idea how much it will cost to replace the door lock cylinder and ignition cylinder (but altogether it'll be like $2k). Obviously I told the local dealer (in a nice way) to shove it. Are these keys like most new ones where there's an RF signal that gets transmitted when the key is inserted? Or can I try welding the key back to the switchblade and hope for the best? My parents lost the spare key a long time ago.

I've seen uncut keys on ebay for $100 or less. Can I have Jaguar cut those keys? On a side note, I'm only able to lock the car doors using the keyless remote. I tried reprogramming the key (got the correct "ding" sound and all) but it seems like the only button that works is that one that locks the door.

Thanks in advance for any tips! I will call another local dealer to see how much they would charge for a new key. The first dealer I called wants me to get the car towed in...except I can't get in the car! I'm going to call CAA to see if they can get in the car.

e

Old 10-19-2009, 09:34 AM

Quick update.

I looked at the broken key fob and noticed the following:

The small key part (the "blade") is actually not directly connected to the fob. It's a separate piece that's held on the fob by a pin and housing. The housing is what broke off, which resulted in the "blade" part coming out and staying in the door lock cylinder. Thankfully the blade sticks out of the door lock. I'm going to try epoxying the blade back onto the fob and/or trying to open the door using pliers and the blade. If the fob has an RFID chip then I'll try to keep it close to the door. I already woke up the neighborhood this morning when the alarm went off I might as well disturb their supper as well.

I called another dealer (Decarie Motors in Montreal) and they said it's $275 per key. They don't know how much it costs for new ignition and door lock cylinders either. It seems like this is a common problem on these cars (door lock and ignition cylinders sticking) so I'm surprised the dealers don't know what it costs to replace. Aw well.

e

Old 10-19-2009, 02:59 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

emmsys, look on e-bay for the keyfobs. You may also need to buy a new key blank too. But, you should be able to get both for under $100 easy. Then, you can take the blank keyfob into the Jag dealership and for a small charge ($80 as I recall), they will cut the key based on the VIN. From there, reprogram the new keyfob and all should be good.

As for your locks, first try using some WD-40 and giving the tumblers a good flushing. IT may be that you have some particles in there and they are causing issues. Worst case, you still end up having to change out the tumblers. But, if it works, lots of money saved. Not to mention that as long as you can take the tumblers to a locksmith, they should be able to key the tumblers to match your key for fairly cheap. Then, you can install the tumblers yourself. Not that bad of a job. Save you a lot of money in the long run.

Old 10-19-2009, 03:37 PM
Thumbs up

Thanks for the excellent information. I just checked out Ebay and saw 2 types of keys:

1) The keyless remote key fob that I have now (uncut)
2) a Ford key that works on S-type and X-types without the keyless buttons. http://cgi.ebay.ca/2002-2003-2004-20...item2c51350085

if the URL doesn't work just search for "2002 2003 2004 2005 Jaguar X Type Transponder Blank Key"

I wouldn't mind getting the much cheaper non-keyless one. But I've never seen a Jag with this. Are there for real? Or are they more for trunk/valet keys?

Thanks again for the info.

e

Old 10-19-2009, 07:29 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

emmsys, I would consider them more valet type keys unlike what the keyfobs are. Spend the extra little bit and just get the whole keyfob. I know I need to get a second key for the just in case incident. I don't want to think about how much it would cost to get the keys out from inside the car after accidentally locking them inside.

Old 10-19-2009, 11:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My ignition cylinder was sticking. They just kept relubing it while it was under warranty. Then I got fed up with it. Sometimes I'd have to wiggle key for 15 mins to get the car started. So I paid $400, had the ignition barrel reprogrammed at jaguar and then shipped over to the dealer. It took 3 days to get the barrel after I ordered it. Now it is fine.

You can't accidentally lock the jag key inside. The door will normally not lock from inside. Only from the remote once all doors are closed.

P.S. It is possible to lock the car using the inside lock. You have to lock it and slam the door in like 2 seconds before it decides to unlock again. But now you risk smashing your hand inside the door. If you normally tried to lock the door from inside, it just unlocks again.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:22 AM

Hi,

I will try WD40 tonight. Here are some things I learned in case others need information about the keys (I apologize if some things are obvious, I just want to consolidate all the information):

1) The X-type key has a transponder that is separate from the keyless fob.

2) The transponder is used during the security check

3) The keyless fob does not need to be programmed at the dealer. You can do it yourself from inside the car.

4) There are many key programmer's on line (Automam T300, AD900 etc.) that are supposedly capable of programming Texas 4D transponders.

I'm going to call the local dealers to see which one is willing to cut/program a key I buy online. Technically my broken key should still have a working transponder. I'm guessing the transponder is located near the button for the switchblade, making it independent of the cut key above it...in which case I would just need to have the new key cut.

e

Old 10-20-2009, 07:50 AM

Hi,

Another update:

I called the a couple of Jaguar dealers in Montreal and the only thing they will do is program the key. None of them cut it. One dealer recommended Gran Touring in Toronto. I called them up and they can replace just the key part for $73 plus 1/2 hour labor for programming (approx $60). BUT I would have to bring them the car. I asked if they can cut a key that I have and he asked "you have a blank key???" I said they're all over the Internet and Ebay. He angrily responded with "Nope. We will do the work if we supply the key only." I'm amazed at how clueless dealers and mechanics are.

My next option is to find a locksmith that can cut a blank key locally. If anyone knows any locksmiths in Montreal, Laval or even Toronto/Ottawa that can do it please let me know!

e

Old 10-20-2009, 08:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dealer told me its about $275 for a full new key. Including cutting a new key and a programming a new transponder.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:06 AM

Hi Guys,

I managed to get the doors unlocked! My coworker used some industrial strength glue to put the blade back in the key fob. I attached 2 pictures to show you where my key broke, and how worn out the key is. It's like the key was made of clay. Anyway, I'm probably going to reinforce the key by gluing it opened permanently. The action of opening and closing the switchblade puts a lot of pressure at the joint where the key and fob meet anyway. This won't solve all the problems but it gives me more time to find a locksmith, get a new key etc.

e

Attached Thumbnails 2002 X-type key broke-jagkey1.jpg   2002 X-type key broke-jagkey2.jpg  
Old 10-22-2009, 02:12 PM

Hi,

I decided to use more glue (Loctite 444) to permanently keep the switchblade opened. I don't care about folding the key in (which itself puts stress on the housing for the blade). The car started without any security issues since the transponder is obviously not in the blade. The ignition does not stick nearly as much as the doors so I'll try not to lock the doors to often for now.

I read on another post that someone had to replace their ignition tumblers on a 2004 model. Honestly, between the X-type and my 740i, I've experienced many issues of poor quality that are absolutely unacceptable. Just look up "e38 cupholders" or "e38 glove box latch" to see what I mean. The 740i was originally almost $90000 CDN and it has cupholders that can fail within a couple of months, and a glove box latch that explodes into a thousand pieces. Anyway, sorry for venting... At least I feel better!

e

Old 05-19-2010, 03:03 PM

I hope your key problems turned out ok. I have been worried for a while that mine would break or get lost so I ordered a new one from Triple-C. They are guaranteeing the key will work for me, my key is a little strange I had to email them a close up photo so they could get the code. Anyway go to their website triple-c.com my new key with the cut was $40, my local dealership wants 6 times that and 15 times that for the flip key fob. Shop around to your local locksmiths as well, anyone is cheaper than the dealerships!

Old 05-30-2010, 07:00 AM

Hi Flitter54,

I found a few websites like triple-c and it's good to hear that you have had success with them. Your key did not come with a chip right? Do you just keep your original key with you so you can still start the engine?

emmsys

Old 05-26-2011, 02:17 PM
Red face Graphite

I agree about using the graphite. In winter here the lock get even a tiny bit of moisture in them and they freeze up, which is inconvenient at 5:30am on a snowy Utah morn. A drop of graphite in them keeps them happy. WD40 dribbled on paint can be bad for your paint (it's too 'wet') unless you can manage to get it off quickly.