Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   X-Type ( X400 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/)
-   -   Low acceleration ping (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/low-acceleration-ping-216264/)

Jag4 04-11-2019 12:08 PM

Low acceleration ping

Hello forum,

I looked this up and found reference to low oil, low octane fuel as possible causes. My oil was a quart low but the ping was still there after I added oil. Then I pulled fuse 35 to reset the timing which seems to have resolved the pinging.

Does this mean my knock sensor is bad? I will check the sensor with a multi meter but just looking for any other know potential causes.

Thank you for your insight!

Dell Gailey 04-11-2019 03:16 PM

Couple of things to try/look at assuming you are running the proper octane fuel =

Check/change air filter.
Put in "sport" mode and see if the ping goes.
Lastly, remove fuse #32, wait a few seconds, reinstall, this causes relearning of driving pattern. Just don't drive in "sport" mode for a couple hundred miles.

BlownKitty 04-11-2019 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Dell Gailey (Post 2053853)
Couple of things to try/look at assuming you are running the proper octane fuel =

Check/change air filter.
Put in "sport" mode and see if the ping goes.
Lastly, remove fuse #32, wait a few seconds, reinstall, this causes relearning of driving pattern. Just don't drive in "sport" mode for a couple hundred miles.

Dell, I recall reading something about being able to reset the OBC's "driving pattern", Does removing and reinstalling fuse #32 affect anything else?

Dell Gailey 04-11-2019 09:40 PM

#32 is the driving pattern reset - hence do not use sport mode for a couple of hundred miles.

Jag4 04-17-2019 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Dell Gailey (Post 2053995)
#32 is the driving pattern reset - hence do not use sport mode for a couple of hundred miles.

Nailed it. Thanks.

Dell Gailey 04-17-2019 11:24 PM

Yay!!

Jeroen Gevers 11-29-2020 02:43 PM

Hi! Did this trick work for you?

I got the pinging since 2 months. Not always though. And when its there, its only under normal load between 2000 and 3000 rpm. Sounds like an intake rattle.

I pulled the fuse 32 few times, but didnt know i shouldn't use sports mode. Maube that's why it didn't work...

Jag4 11-30-2020 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Jeroen Gevers (Post 2322630)
Hi! Did this trick work for you?

I got the pinging since 2 months. Not always though. And when its there, its only under normal load between 2000 and 3000 rpm. Sounds like an intake rattle.

I pulled the fuse 32 few times, but didnt know i shouldn't use sports mode. Maube that's why it didn't work...

@Jeroen Gevers I still get the rattles. Same here, between 2-3K on acceleration. Fuel additive "Lucas" octane boost seems to help but causes O2 sensor errors. It's annoying.

Jeroen Gevers 11-30-2020 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Jag4 (Post 2322915)
@Jeroen Gevers I still get the rattles. Same here, between 2-3K on acceleration. Fuel additive "Lucas" octane boost seems to help but causes O2 sensor errors. It's annoying.

Thanks for your answer. I tried cleaning the maf sensor today and pulling f32 again. Did not help.

Seen this problem with other jags too (xj and s type) but never seen a solution for it.
Maybe changing spark plugs will help. Thats the only thing i haven't done yet.
Rest of the car is in like new condition now, just that annoying rattle....

Jeroen Gevers 12-01-2020 04:12 AM

I tried pulling fuse 32 again. Went driving and did some "italian tuning". Rattle has not appeared since. Fingers crossed....

Jeroen Gevers 12-28-2020 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Jeroen Gevers (Post 2323222)
I tried pulling fuse 32 again. Went driving and did some "italian tuning". Rattle has not appeared since. Fingers crossed....

And it's back...
Maybe new plugs will help...

RZL 07-03-2021 05:55 AM

Hey guys,
I’ve had this issue since hearing it in 2011 on v6 petrol at 1000ks and believe me, you can spend money trying but nothing will make it go away. Additives work but of course temporary.
I took on Jaguar via England and even had them send someone over at one point. Long story short, initially they kept saying it should not ping, they did flushes, sparks, Sensors, cleaned injectors, replaced injectors and the more I pushed they then started saying they all do it and it’s their characteristic. I gave up but if anyone works it out, I’d love to know.
On an xf, but I have also noticed a similar thing on my fathers s-type which again same engine.

JagV8 07-03-2021 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by RZL (Post 2412125)
I have also noticed a similar thing on my fathers s-type which again same engine.

What do you see in the S-Type forum about it?

If nothing much, have you posted there & with a sound recording?

Jag4 07-05-2021 11:05 AM

My low RPM ping issue seems to have been related to a bad thermostat which caused some sight overheating. Have not had the issue since changing the thermostat which reduced the overall engine temps by about 5-10 degrees.