Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   X-Type ( X400 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/)
-   -   Mercury Sable-X type (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/mercury-sable-x-type-1135/)

93xj6 02-27-2007 11:47 PM

Mercury Sable-X type

My grandmother owns a 01 mercury sable, with the 24 valve DOHC V6 engine. She was going to buy the x type, but went with the sable to save money. Let me jsut say I have spent about 15 hours driving the sable, and I love that car. How much better is the X type the the sable, cuz I have questioned that there could really be that much of a difference, besides just being able to say you own a jag.

IronCobra 02-28-2007 12:06 AM

RE: Mercury Sable-X type

When they say that the X-Type is based off of a Modeno and the Sable they also generally say it is "Loosely" based.

I have driven dozens of Sables as rental cars when I travel. There is a night and day difference between the two cars. Most noticeably in the suspension, driving characteristics, steering feel, and interior sound.

The X-Type is leaps and bounds better.

93xj6 02-28-2007 12:19 AM

I think you may be slightly confused, in 01 the mercury sable, ford taurus, and jaguar x-type were all exactly the same model of car. Same frame, same dimensions of interior and exterior. And the sable has a great suspension and handles great, so I just really find it hard to believe there could be much of a difference. i'll have to test drive an 01 or something. The acceleration on the sable is also really really good, it is liek a jack rabbit when you hit the gas.

bigdreams05 02-28-2007 12:32 AM

You are extremely mistaken sir!!! The suspension on the Mercury Sable is quite different and you need to drive an X before you judge. There is no comparison. The Taurus and Sable may have the same engine, but the X is by far and away the better car. Drive one and then come back and express how you feel.

macchiavelli 02-28-2007 12:45 AM

93xj6, I don't know what your sources are, but you are quite incorrect.

There's a lot of confusion out there about this. I have researched it for a good while, and this is what I've found:

1. The only platform (PLATFORM, let me repeat) the Jaguar X-Type and any Ford anywhere share is the European
second generation Ford Mondeo platform. No other Ford shared this platform. This platform is called "CD132," and it is a descendant of the first generation Mondeo/Contour/Mystique/Cougar, the "CDW27." So if you hear things like "the old Contour used the same platform as the X-Type," that would also be incorrect.

2. The Sable/Taurus/Continental platform is the "Ford D186" platform, an entirely different one which has no connection to either the CD132 or the CDW27.

3. Even if your scenario had been correct (and it is not, as you can see above), platform sharing means very, very little in the way a modern automobile performs, handles, and feels. From the tuning of the engine to the exhaust, to the suspension and electronics, etc, there are so many variables that it is not easy even for an expert driver to tell which platform is related to another without prior knowledge.

4. The second generation Ford Mondeo platform has received acclaim worldwide (Mondeo is a worldwide bestseller of Ford, so what do they do, they don't bring it here, of course. Just like the second-gen Focus.) on its own, and if you read Jaguar X-Type reviews (and I have read every single one available, in 4 of the 5 languages I know) you will see that even the most ill-tempered reviewers universally praise the vehicle dynamics (an indirect result of the platform, and a direct result of the tuning).

5. I am happy that you like the Sable for your grand mother, and happy that it feels like a good deal. But there's no need to take a further step to make yourself feel better just to be able to say "hah! It's the same car as the Jag, only we got a better deal!." If your information was correct, it could still be challenged on the basis of what I wrote in #3, but it is not even close. So, what is your point, now that you DO know the platform history of these cars?

bigdreams05 02-28-2007 12:58 AM

Wow, very nicely put!

macchiavelli 02-28-2007 12:58 AM

Oh, I forgot to add in my message above, about the engine:
The Duratec V6 is used in tons of different models, in literally dozens of incarnations.
The likes of Aston Martins (the V12 is a double Duratec V6, essentially) and Noble M400s (twin-turbocharged) use -admittedly vastly- modified Duratec engines, so what? As I said earlier, the differences are all in the particular tuning/secondary engineering effort.

IronCobra 02-28-2007 01:22 AM

I would LOVE to see where he got his information from. Also, the X-Type wasn't released until 2002.

Here are the facts!

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/3126/xtype1xc2.jpg
http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/2166/xtype2sj3.jpg
http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/9813/sable1vp0.jpg
http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/4669/sable2ho0.jpg

andersen06 02-28-2007 02:08 AM

Just to throw my two cents in.. Are Mercury and Jag even related??? Just because another dealer makes a vehicle similar to another doesnt make one better then the other. It means that theres a proven method thats gonna make money, which is why around 2001 - 2002 there were a few who had the same style of vehicle to catch the eye of similar people with different pocket books!!! Come on, think about it....Its called business for a reason!!!

JimC64 02-28-2007 08:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 199681

Interesting................nice replies from Machiavelli and IronCobra........very informative. Nice one!

Jim C

IronCobra 02-28-2007 11:45 AM

ORIGINAL: andersen06

Just to throw my two cents in.. Are Mercury and Jag even related??? Just because another dealer makes a vehicle similar to another doesnt make one better then the other. It means that theres a proven method thats gonna make money, which is why around 2001 - 2002 there were a few who had the same style of vehicle to catch the eye of similar people with different pocket books!!! Come on, think about it....Its called business for a reason!!!

I guess if you put it that way, then YES the two companies are pretty closely related. Ford Motor Co. owns BOTH Mercury and Jaguar. Ford is natorious for cross swapping parts in different vehicles. They are also known for cross platform vehicles that share the same basic structure and parts.

In this case they are 99.9% difference vehicles, but that is not the instance in most cases.

RudyF6 02-28-2007 01:04 PM

ALRIGHT! I'm officially pissed off - did you just call my X-Type a Sable? [:'(]

(Asked by a guy that's been parts manager at a Ford-Mercury dealership for 30 years! ;)

bigdreams05 02-28-2007 01:47 PM

It's cool though, because everyone compares my s-type to a taurus. I know, it's very offending.

somekidzenvy 02-28-2007 02:58 PM

yea, i love idiots like that. i guess an Aston martin vantage is a ford thunderbird with a body kit, and a range rover is an expedition, the LR3 is an explorer and the XJ is a damn ford 500, yea same company, same product, HOW COULD YOU GUYS NOT KNOW THAT???

people like this guy agravate the hell out of me, the mercedes E class and the dodge magnum, chrysler 300 dodge charger share the same platform and suspension components too, usuing this fools logic, i guess a $55,000 eclass is the same car as a 19,000 base charger, the dodge owner just got a WAY better deal!!!! they always compare jag to cheap fords because they've never driven one, or can't afford one. Stop hating lil man and get a better job.

modell 02-28-2007 04:46 PM

I can hardly believe this thread today...

I took my 2002 X-Type in for service yesterday. Replaceing bushings in teh sway bar if you must know. They gave me a loaner for the day... It's a Mercury Sable.

Now, I've driven lots of cars in my 43 yrs. Currently I own teh Jag, a Lexus ES300 and a GMC Yukon XL (the wife's). This is my first time driving a sable. Simply, it's the worst car I've ever driven. Maybe this particular vehicle has been abused to get to this point. But not even knowing anything about any of the above mentioned conversation this car is aweful. The drive train has clunking issues. The engine has no power and to top it off, the engine light is on. The interior is confortable, but "squishy" and the car drives a bit like a boat.

I don't know what/how/why/whatever this car was made, but it certainly is NOT anything like a Jaguar.

JimC64 02-28-2007 09:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 199670

Its true, It seems that there's nothing quicker gonna piss off a Jag owner than some neighbour/ friend/ work colleague etc saying that......."oh, but its a Mondeo really isn't it?"
I feel like saying....."NO it fuc*ing well isn't, Does it have a Ford badge?.......DUHHHH!!!!!"
However, I refrain and point out the differences etc etc etc, but deep down I know 2 things.
1 - The reason they ask that is because they're jealous! You know it, I know it, Christ they even know that I know they know it!
2 - Its only a matter of time before I end up in someones face saying "NO it Fuc*ing >>>>>>>>>..." in a really loud and aggresive manner about 2" away from their face, Staff Sergeant like.

Jim C

andersen06 02-28-2007 11:06 PM

I guess what Im really trying to say is...If Ford wants to get the most out of a certain platform then they would make a few similar vehicles to appeal to many different audiences to get the biggest return...

Not really pickin a side here, BUT, Im a jag owner and that pulls a lot of weight!!

bigdreams05 02-28-2007 11:20 PM

All of the other cars mentioned(taurus, montego, sable) are FWD cars. RWD/AWD > FWD = Always How can people even say that they are the same platform when they don't even have the same set of wheels pushing the car. The sable, montego, and taurus are all FWD. S-type is RWD and X-type is AWD. Same drivetrain my ass. Don't compare my sexy ass whip with a 2 cent over valued POS mercury or ford!

andersen06 02-28-2007 11:27 PM

Amen bro!!![sm=closed.gif]

Dunhill 03-01-2007 12:13 AM

My grandma had a bike, cause she don't know how to drive. If she did, she sure wouldn't want a sable. She would be disgusted.

I had people tell me already, Jaguar is Ford. So, lots of people don't know the fine details but only know a one liner. I call these kinds of people idiots.

I had the same issue with the Saab. Oh it is a GM. So i would say, well look the the piece of shittoyota you are driving. At least i got a European car...