X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Most Frustrating Bolt | 03 xtype 3.0

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 05:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Most Frustrating Bolt | 03 xtype 3.0

Was doing a full coil&plug change due to a misfire on cylinder 4, was doing well. Drained the coolant, got every bolt/vacuum line/hose to come off easily. Overall it was going super well. Besides 2 issues.

One of the main bolts that circle around the inlets going into the engine was obviously torque'd down way more then needed and it ended up pulling the brass insert. I have plans on putting some jbweld in or something to refix the insert in place to allow the bolt to function again. Thank god all the other bolts came out alright

The other issue is that one bolt that is used to hold that back bracket in, is literally so hard to get to. You have like maybe 3 inches of space and I haven't even seen the thing yet I just know the general area. I have a messed up knee and bending over the fender gets painful pretty fast.

If anyone has any help especially for that bracket bolt please help me because I've gotten so close and I don't want this to make it all fail. Thanks

Old 11-17-2017, 06:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

That bolt is a PITA. You need to spray it down good and let it soak. Then a 10mm wrench is needed for the head of the bolt. You may have to double wrench it to get it loose but make sure you have gloves on. When it lets go the back of your hand strikes the sheet metal facia and can be ruthless sharp. Guess how I know.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts

i never has a problem with those "hidden"bolts... but i have had an intake bolt refuse to come out due to a slipping insert!

Old 11-18-2017, 10:10 AM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I believe there is an upper and lower bolt on the rear, one on each end of the support bracket. I have always taken out the top using an offset 10mm box end wrench from the passenger side of the car, slipping hand in near the IMT valves. Try to wiggle the intake a bit when breaking the bolt loose.

I would LKQ the damaged intake part, it is only 4 bolts, the fuel line and a couple wire connectors(typically the intake is already pulled off at the breaker yard). Very easy to replace the entire fuel rail setup, find a lower mileage car in the yard. Or just buy the black part with the inserts, it is 2 pieces even tho it looks like one piece. Just alot of work to replace the black part alone.