X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new X-type owner, proud owner :)

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 02:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new X-type owner, proud owner :)

i have just bought my first Jaguar, after owning Audi's, Bmw's, Ford's and others, anyway, i bought it despite the fact that everybody was warning me about being not such good cars, expensive to maintain, bla bla...anyway, my Jag is 2001, X-type, 2.5 V6 AWD automatic gearbox, british racing green with brown leather interior, i am not yet sure what is the code for the leather as i will need it to buy some conditioner. So far, so good, i really like, it's comfortable, quick and it seems to be working ok, it has a service history but the car hasn't been driven for the last year, i have changed so far the oil, and two tires.

What else should i change, besides coolant(what type?)?
What are the main problems with this car?
What products should i use for the interior, i have heard many opinions, is it true that only some products are good for the Jag's leather?
The armrest is in a bad shape, broken, i need to change it, have any idea where could i buy a SH one?
As far as i know the engine uses a chain for timing, is that correct?

i still have lots of questions and doing researches on the forum but i would appreciate any answer from you guys.

Thank you!

Old 02-01-2011, 06:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mik15
The armrest is in a bad shape, broken, i need to change it, have any idea where could i buy a SH one?
My armrest used to make alot of knocking noise, I just removed it.
I believe all x-types uses timing chain instead of belt, there is no need for replacement for that.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:58 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

welcome and congrats on the new ride.
i keep reading people changing 1,or 2 tires... problem is its AWD and you need to keep all 4 tires the same tread pattern preferred but the same tread depth is a must. by putting 1 or 2 new tires on with a couple older ones at lower tread you are putting strain on your transfer case. not saying its going to blow right away, but its going to wear out a lot faster.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Suggest you change probably the most often overlooked maintenance fluid on all cars: the brake fluid. Yours, if still original, is about a decade old. Even though your weather there is pretty easy on things, you could still have moisture in the fluid accumulated over time.

Most leather cleaners/conditioners are fine to use - nothing special about the leather in the X type. I prefer Lexol for cleaning, and Zymol for conditioning. Blue Coral is decent as well.

Welcome to the forum and congrat's on the new ride.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:13 PM
Banned
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

better check if your air scoop is still attached. You need it to cool the transfer case in your hot climate.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:45 AM

thank you for your answers.
now, i know it's best to change all 4 tyres on AWD but when i bought the car i went straight to a service near the Vehicle Reg. Dep., which was in Dubai and i had to drove it back to Abu Dhabi, and they didn't have 4 tyres on stock and couldn't wait as it was already late.

air scoop?? where is that and what does it do?
Also, i think here they're using a different type of coolant with a higher boiling point, is there a DIY about changing the coolant as ii would like to do it myself.

Yesterday i detailed a little bit the interior, anyway it wasn't at all in a bad shape, but now really looks improved, i used for leather Mr. Leather, it was i think the most expensive one i was able to find in a supermarket, btw, how is ArmorAll? if you've heard of it...made in Uk i think.

I still need to do something about the armrest, it's bugging me, it's not very solid, the Jaguar gave me a price near to 1000$ for that, wayyyyy to much..

I will laso have to polsih the headlamps, any ideas?

Old 02-02-2011, 06:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mik15
I will laso have to polsih the headlamps, any ideas?
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=2281

Old 02-02-2011, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

THe air scoop refers to the transfer case air scoop. It should be under your car and inducts air up to cool your transfer case. I have yet to actually see one since they have all been torn off. Here it likely makes no difference but there it would likely be the first thing to replace. It is a 40.00 US part so get it. Search on this forum and you'll find some pictures.

For your arm rest, search online for one, you will probably only find a black one but you might get lucky, then just get some interior leather / vinyl paint and you're good to go. By arm rest are you talking armrest on the door or center console lid? Armorall is bad for leather, and should not be used, you are looking for a leather cleaner and a leather conditioner that will keep the leather soft. Armorall is like a silicone and will make it slippery. AND KEEP IT OFF YOUR DASH, it will reflect so bad against the windscreen you will have trouble seeing out. Armorall is OK on tires, vinyl too.

The following 2 users liked this post by sidewalkman:
Greenhornet (02-03-2011), mik15 (02-03-2011)
Old 02-02-2011, 09:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

Congrats on the new car, let the modding begin!

Old 02-03-2011, 02:43 AM

yesterday i bought the other 2 tyres so i have now all 4 tyres brand new, i have also tinted the windows and refilled the AC system as the level was low and it wasn't cooling enough the interior. Hopefully today i will take some pictures so i can show it to you guys .
Still need to replace the coolant and polish the headlamps. I checked the power steering and brakes fluid and the color and smell seem to be in order so i have decided no to change them, at least not yet, maybe within the next couple of months.

I was talking about the armrest on the central console, between the front seats, i need one that slides and black color.

What about the oil in the gear box?? I know, the manufacturer says it's lifetime, but i don't really believe that based on others experiences...any help on that???

Once again thank you for your warm welcoming and for your advises!

Old 02-03-2011, 02:46 AM

i know this link but it doesn't work, at least not on my machine...

Old 02-03-2011, 07:54 AM
Veteran Member

That link works fine for me.

Have you visited the FAQ section of the forum? There are a lot of threads in there with tons of good reading about the maintenance on the X type.

I don't care for the Armor All leather products, but that's just my opinion.

Many companies offer DIY headlight restore kits. About all of them use the same technique. They are available in auto parts stores here in the US...not sure what you have over there that is comperable.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:13 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I remember that issue also, spoke to many big shops in area, That fluid can be replaced, little expensive, but usually not needed. Unless your car is giving you shifting and driving issues, don't worry about that. You can go by a dealer and ask them if you feel that car is driving funny, they will probably tell you not to worry about Tranny Oil.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:45 AM

the gearbox is actually working very well, very smooth, i was just thinking of doing the oil change as a precaution measure, i have looked under the car and i saw no oil leakes coming from the gearbox or the engine. Something attracted my attention, the cooling fan, after i stop the engine and park the car i can hear it working for another about 2 maybe 3 minutes, is that how it supposed to be? I've red in owner's book that's normal....

i didn't have time today for the pictures but certainly i will have them taken tomorrow .

thx.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:59 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

3m makes a good headlight restoration kit. it comes with a drill attachment that has velcrow on it to attach different grit sandpaper disks, a final sand sponge disk and a polishing 1" foam disk.
it tells you the steps to do it in. works amazing, and after you do it you should consider putting on clear chipguard so it doesnt happen all ver again, and when the chipguard gets ruined just peel it off and stick a new sheet on. the x-type housings are small and easy to wrap in the clear vynal chipguard...also 3m makes that.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:39 AM
Question Tranny & ENG. Fan

MIK15, I would not worry about the Tranny Oil, sounds fine, I understand what you mean about just taking precaution, but not needed. As far as the cooling Fan, yes they are automatic, on and off when they are needed, I did not look at where you are living or if you have mountains where you live, any of those could cause your fan to do an off and on regularly, check and make sure you have "coolant" in your radiator and it's the right volumn, if so then you should be good. Is the car feeling very, very hot when you finish driving?

Old 02-07-2011, 11:56 PM

according to the info on my cluster is not overheating, everyhting seems to be in order, the coolant is at the right level, a friend of mine kept telling me that it's unusual for the cooling fan to start after you stop the engine, i've been talking to another x-type owner and also red in the book the it's normal, i am living in Abu Dhabi so for more than 6 months/year it's very hot here, now we have about 25C.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:38 AM
Veteran Member

Your friend is incorrect.

Part of the appeal of an electric fan is that it can run after the engine is shut off to continue cooling.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:08 AM
Default Cooling

Mik15, I agree with ChrisX, Based on what you have said about your levels of liquid, I'd say you are O.K. and based on where you live, thats probably the reason why your Auto fan comes on and off at those times. Again, I think there is nothing to worry about. Reason why your car is doing things that regular cars don't and the reason people think it's unusual is because it's a "Jaguar". People wish their cars did these extra things.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:45 AM

thanks a lot guys!
I think yours does the same thing??? Miami has a hot climate as well .
As promised, here are a few pictures with the car.
Please have a look on the next page for more pictures. Any remarks, positive and negatives, are more than welcomed .

Attached Thumbnails new X-type owner, proud owner :)-img_7925.jpg   new X-type owner, proud owner :)-img_7928.jpg  

Last edited by mik15; 02-08-2011 at 07:58 AM.

Quick Reply: new X-type owner, proud owner :)