X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No click from starter motor engine wont crank

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 03:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No click from starter motor engine wont crank

have a 2004 2.0 Diesel Jaguar Xtype , car was runing fine no issues just a little hard to start on cold morning but nothing major , went to the shop came home went into the house went out an hour later to go shop again and the normal dash lights ocme on glow plug lights etc , no warning lights no warning messages nothing , turned the key to start and nothing not a sound not a click not a crank nothing at all. Battery perfect in it checked all fuses under glove box and all relays look ok , but starter motor not making any sounds at all nothing is making any noises at all just wont click or turn over any ideas ? heard it could be a problem with the key immobiliser

Old 03-19-2018, 04:49 AM

P.S the car has plenty of oil all belts are fine changed at correct times , All relays have no burn marks on them . All fuses all small ones checked one by one all ok none blown , did the key turn reset to try and reset the immobilizer on the 5 times on and off key the car beeped when I did it but still nothing wont crank or click on teh starter need urgent help as I have my Astra coupe convertible out of the garage in this weather and I dont want to have out until the summer

Old 03-19-2018, 06:06 AM
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

The quickest way to see if the problem is in the starter is to:

1) Check the voltage at the Battery supply terminal on the solenoid and
2) Check voltage the starter circuit terminal on the terminal.

No click from starter motor engine wont crank-starter_front_explained.jpg

There should be a black rubber boot covering the solenoid terminals. The solenoid sits on top of the starter itself. You can check for +12V by placing the positive (red) test pin of the volt meter on the large terminal located about 12:00 on the solenoid and the negative (black) test pin to a good ground on the engine. If you have 12V then move the red test pin to the starter circuit terminal on the solenoid (located about 4:00 on the solenoid) and have someone take the ignition switch to "Start". You should see +12V.

If you have +12V on both terminals of the solenoid, you likely have a failed solenoid. If you do not have +12V at the starter circuit terminal, you will have to start testing backwards to figure out why. Do this easy check first.....

The following users liked this post:
Rebeljag (03-19-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 06:29 AM

Greast reply mate thanks, Il get myself a volt meter tomorrow afternoon and check it as its very annoying that nothing is making any noise and engine wont start at all , I know its a fairly handy job to replace both but might aswell isolate the issue first before I go buying both im a dab hand with a wrench , as I own an astra coupe you have to be lol

Old 03-20-2018, 03:12 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Starter problem

Originally Posted by Rebeljag
have a 2004 2.0 Diesel Jaguar Xtype , car was runing fine no issues just a little hard to start on cold morning but nothing major , went to the shop came home went into the house went out an hour later to go shop again and the normal dash lights ocme on glow plug lights etc , no warning lights no warning messages nothing , turned the key to start and nothing not a sound not a click not a crank nothing at all. Battery perfect in it checked all fuses under glove box and all relays look ok , but starter motor not making any sounds at all nothing is making any noises at all just wont click or turn over any ideas ? heard it could be a problem with the key immobiliser
Name please.
I had a problem with my 2002 when I bought it, It would not make
contact with the solonoid all the time.

Suspected the solonoid on the starter, bought a new starter from Bosh,
fixed it.
With some miles on the car like 65K its easy to figure out.

Walter

Old 03-24-2018, 12:24 PM
Default How to get the starter motor out

Ok lads im good with a wrench and can find my way round most engine bays bit jesus this think is cramped.is there no way to get the starter motor o without taking half the parts off the front of it the water pump and all has to come off from what i can see

Old 03-24-2018, 12:26 PM
Default Starter location

The starter is on the front of the car and is buried behind pipes and hoses

Starter motor looks impossoble to get to need help

Old 03-24-2018, 12:28 PM
Default Starter

Old 03-24-2018, 12:30 PM
Default This is a mammoth job

Like this has to go in here has anyone a walk through guide so i dont disconnect the entire engine bay

Old 03-24-2018, 03:29 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebeljag
It looks like it was in there 20 years.
That's called regular service

There is not much room to remove it, carefully move it and rotate it.

Walter

Old 03-24-2018, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

@NewMexico = unfortunately I believe that is the REPLACEMENT, lmfao!!

Here is a mondeo Diesel starter replacement. It should be nearly identical. If it were a petrol (gas), there are numerous posts in this forum by doing a search......

Old 03-24-2018, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts
Old 03-24-2018, 05:28 PM
Default Starter

Well lads i needed the car on the road so bought a second hand one so dont appreciate the snotty remarks about servicing when i only have the car about 3 months and its a 2004. Neither of u answered my question tho and that video is for the ford same engine but mine has a differernt water pump and loads of pipes in the way hence why i asked does it have ti be taken out a different way from underneath as from what i can see space is so tight the entire water pump and its belt need ti come off surely someone on here knows how this starter motor comes out

Old 03-24-2018, 05:34 PM
Default Full guide

Ive clicked all the links most are broken and are bad domains none have a comprehensive walk through if this so i might just do one myself and start from the underneath remove underbody plastics and take pics as i go as nowhere ive searched has anything in this for this model

Old 03-29-2018, 10:13 AM
Default Fixed gertrude

Well lads due to the weather and car parked outside the house and wudnt start it took me all week to fix it. Ive had loads of cars this is my first jag and removing that starter motor was the worst thing i e ever had to do no space to work on it no way to take it out without coming at it from 5 different angles. Anyway . I cleaned out the 2nd hand one

1st step remove all the plastic rocker covers and air box intakes once on the front have 2 connectors take care with all the air flow sensor connectors .
I also got under the car and removed 6 screws and 3 bolts holding on skid plates plastic one better to remove it and get more light in and better in case u drop anything.

next take out the battery and the plastic box the battery sits in.

remove the large water wipe thats beside the battery i covered it with a surgical glove to stop it leaking out

once u do this u shud be able to see the side of the start motor down on the front of the engine.

next undo the 2 small bolts on the big metal bar leading to the turbo think its the intercooler pipe as itl be in ur way no need to remove it fully just remove the 2 bolts off it and bend it up out of ur way

Next remove the bolt from the cable running from the engine down to the starter cable leads ul see it . Then u can begin on taking out the starter mine had a metal protector over it so had to remove that first the 2 bolts on the starter motor are 13 sockets .

once u remove them then ul be able to wiggle it around in order to take off the bolts holding the leads onto the solenoid dont try remove them with the starter bolted in as ul need minature hands to do it better to maneuver it around then remove them . This job needs patience and a calm approach as its so tight and so hard to get at everything i dropped the same bolt 13 times before i got it on.

up also need a good led light so see the bolts but just be careful and dont force anything it will come out eventually. Soon as i put it all back together i tested it and bam firered straight away quicker and better than it ever had before since ive had it . Hooe this helps anyone with their car not starting any questiobs please ask.

total spent

60 euro on 2.2 2nd hand mondeo startee
20 euro halford deep socket set
time if the weather hadnt of been so bad 8hrs

Old 06-16-2023, 05:57 PM
Received 352 Likes on 206 Posts

Oops, I sent this post to the wrong forum so I have deleted it. It applied to the X305 V12

Last edited by watto700; 06-16-2023 at 08:18 PM.