X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V6 VVT Rattle on cold start

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2023, 06:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default V6 VVT Rattle on cold start

Hello, I was hoping someone can help me out.
I Have X-Type 2003 2.5 V6 AWD , had it for over 2 years and its been having short rattle that sounds like chains , but I have checked chain tension with valve covers off and it looked fine. Throughtout the years it has not changed, and it is because of oil starvation in the startup.
*It almost never rattles in winter.
*Different oil viscosity doesnt change anything
*Tried different brands of oil filters, oils
*Rattles usualy 1 to 1.5sec
*Rattles until oil pressure light goes off
*VVT solenoid seal on 1 valve cover is in poor shape, but shouldnt be the problem?
*If crank the car for 5-8seconds without fuel until oil light goes off, it wont rattle
​​​​
I believe it is VVTs fault, maybe it doesnt hold oil pressure, or does it have some kind of pin inside that should lock up? If oil.leaks out, where? Through VVT solenoid, or its housing, or Camshaft itself? Anyway I can check it to make sure? I am thinking of looking for Engine pre-lube kit if it would involve getting timing chains and etc removed.

Hoping someone has dealt with VVT or its Camshaft on these engines, would absolutely appreciate anything on that!
​​​​​

Last edited by Mantas Petrauskas; 07-17-2023 at 06:07 PM.
Old 07-17-2023, 08:18 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

I'll ask a silly question: Does your oil filter have a check valve in it? This engine requires it. That would possibly cause what you are seeing. The VVT would be loose as the oil is working its way to the chain tensioner, giving you that sound. Granted, if the Jag ones are like the ones on my Ford, they have a ratchet in them that doesn't allow them to retract. But, this would also explain a lot of other noises as the oil is moving through the engine to get to where it needs to be.

A leaky valve cover would not cause this. A VVT with a problem and is allowing the oil to drain back could. There are a lot of possibilities.

The following users liked this post:
Mantas Petrauskas (07-18-2023)
Old 07-18-2023, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by Thermo
I'll ask a silly question: Does your oil filter have a check valve in it? This engine requires it. That would possibly cause what you are seeing. The VVT would be loose as the oil is working its way to the chain tensioner, giving you that sound. Granted, if the Jag ones are like the ones on my Ford, they have a ratchet in them that doesn't allow them to retract. But, this would also explain a lot of other noises as the oil is moving through the engine to get to where it needs to be.

A leaky valve cover would not cause this. A VVT with a problem and is allowing the oil to drain back could. There are a lot of possibilities.
Thank you very much for the reply!
So far I have tried 4 different brand oil filters, and last 2 of them surely does have bypass valve. Maybe I should try Jaguar's filter?
VVT itself should hold some pressure, no? If so, where can it be leaking? And i wonder how can I make sure.
When I bought the car over 2 years ago, I was neglected on maintenance, so after changing oil only then rattle problem started acting up. Everytime I change oil on warm, it will rattle on first startup, even tho it takes 20minutes, it shouldnt lose pressure maybe in tensioners, VVT itself?

Last edited by Mantas Petrauskas; 07-18-2023 at 01:42 AM.
Old 07-18-2023, 01:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 281 Posts

And now for something completely different... :
Did you use a "mechanics stethoscope", i.e. a huge flathead screwdriver, to make 100% sure that that noise is indeed coming from the timing chains?
How to use that "special tool": Hold the flathead with the engine running onto the engine block - where ever you think the rattle is coming from - and the other end (the grip) to your ear. Obviously, someone else needs to start the engine for you, as you have to be in position and you have only 1-2 sec. (in your case) to locate the rattle.

BECAUSE - as unbelievable as it is: I did have a 5-10 sec rattle only at first startup of the day on my X308. I knew the timing chains and "their friends" (= guides & tensioners) needed to be replaced anyway - so I did that. But to my surprise that did NOT chase away that rattle. Only then I started to use that "special tool" and I correctly diagnosed the rattle to be coming from one of the catalysts! I got myself 2 new cats and swapped them (plus new O2-sensors, obviously, while I am at it). This solved the issue - the complete honeycomb-catalyst-unit inside of the housing was falling around loosely in the housing - and this incredibly caused the 5-10 sec rattle at first startup of the day....

(I just could not - for the life of me - remember that term for that thing, which promotes chemical reaction - but GIYF (google is your friend)...: It's catalyst! Only then I could write the above word "honeycomb-catalyst-unit"... ) Thus, who would have thought: There is a catalyst inside of a catalyst/catalytic converter! Kind of like "Russian dolls"...

Last edited by Peter_of_Australia; 07-18-2023 at 03:42 AM.
Mantas Petrauskas (07-18-2023)
Old 07-18-2023, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by Peter_of_Australia
) Thus, who would have thought: There is a catalyst inside of a catalyst/catalytic converter! Kind of like "Russian dolls"...
Thank you for your suggestion, I would have never thought the cat could be such a liar. On mine, It really do sound coming from chains with oil cap removed, and rattles until oil pressure light goes off precisely. But I will follow your tip

Old 07-20-2023, 12:07 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Mantas,
I have this same rattling noise on my 2004 2.5, only on cold start. It lasts for about 1 second after start and then disappears.
Like you, I've used multiple brands of engine oil, and multiple filters, without difference.
Firstly, I suspected chains and tensioners, like you, but after changing them (PITA, but doable without removing engine), the rattle still remains.
Then I suspected the cat or exhaust heat shields, but those are not to blame; rattle only happens after car has been sitting long enough for oil pressure to drop, and oil drain away from the VVT.
If it was the cat or heatshield, or the chains, the sound would be there again if you start the car, then shut it down right after it starts, and start again. There is not enough time for the cat or the heat shields to get warm enough and expand, to prevent them from rattling if you shut the engine off right away.
Since the rattle only happens on cold start, when there is no oil pressure on VVT solenoid, and not on the second start when there is oil pressure, I've concluded that its the solenoid, that is on its way out.

The rattling noise on cold start sounds annoyingly just like a chain would hit on to something. But when I replaced the chains, guides and tensioners, I inspected both valve covers and chain cover VERY carefully. There were no signs of contact and chain guides were in good condition too.
I see that you are from Lithuania? SNG Barratt Nederlands seems to have aftermarket VVT solenoid on stock (part #AJ810570) for 143 euros.. Genuine Jaguar part is 242 euros (special order)

Mantas Petrauskas (07-20-2023)
Old 07-20-2023, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mp-x
Hi Mantas,
I have this same rattling noise on my 2004 2.5, only on cold start. It lasts for about 1 second after start and then disappears...)
Thank you for taking your time to share your experience and thoughts. Appreciate it!
Have you ended up changing VVT solenoid/both?
Maybe trying to use stetoscope to figure out the sound difference of each bank, and then cleaning/switching up both solenoids places would point out single one defective.

Old 07-24-2023, 10:05 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't yet changed them. I will be changing both of them, when I start working on it. I figured that if one has gone, other will soon follow.
After all, it's +200k km's and 20 years old component.

For now, it's my daughter's daily driver, and it will be sitting for a while after this fall, since she won't be needing due to school..
Perhaps during the winter months, garage is the best hideout from wife and kids

If you manage to tell which solenoid one makes the rattle by using a stetoscope, let us know!

Mantas Petrauskas (07-28-2023)
Old 08-23-2023, 11:43 AM

Hello, it's been a while since I haven't had the time to work with the car.
In regards of VVT Solenoid problem, I used stetoscope and both of my hands on valve covers and asked wife to start the car, through couple of times I was sure which bank the rattle was coming from.
To check the solenoid, you need to remove it and plug the connector back on / ask someone to turn ignition to 2nd position and it should move couple of times.
Cleaned it properly, with it closed and open positions.
The problem with my unit was , it had slight sludge built up and the gasket was basically non existent, so how can it build oil pressure when its going straight out.
Its been only couple of days, but its looking promising.

P.S. Rattle came back. Maybe the sludge is at fault , at next oil change I will remove oil pan and clean out pickup. Scared of doing engine flush, seems too drastic when engine works very well otherwise.

Last edited by Mantas Petrauskas; 08-24-2023 at 11:05 AM.
h2o2steam (08-23-2023)