X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Filter System

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 03:13 PM
Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Oil Filter System

Have these to install, any and all clues as to what goes where will be appreciated.

AutoEngineLube Engine Oil Pre Lube System Order Now

Ultimate Oil Catch Can - 42 Draft Designs

Battery moved to make room

Old 01-26-2016, 03:43 PM
Received 219 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Sounds good in theory.

Originally Posted by santer
Have these to install, any and all clues as to what goes where will be appreciated.

AutoEngineLube Engine Oil Pre Lube System Order Now

Ultimate Oil Catch Can - 42 Draft Designs

Kleenoil Bypass Filter System Demonstration - YouTube

Battery moved to make room
I suspect this is really an add, but in case you are really asking this would be a complete waste. I hold a joint Patent with Siemens for an electric motor driven oil pump for internal combustion engines. The main purpose was to reduce anything driven by engine power, and it seamed the pre oiling by starting oil pressure just before combustion may enhance engine life. Interest was expressed by Ford but very early testing showed that the normal viscosity of oil was sufficient to provide lubrication at startup and they did not persue it. US Patent number 5,884,601.
I have prototype electric oil pump and water pumps which are much simpler to retrofit then this.

Old 01-26-2016, 04:01 PM
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Generally speaking there is an adapter (Summit Racing) that replaces the stock oil filter that has two fittings for lines. An in and an out. You would plumb the external filter in there.

Things they did not talk about that would concern me. Restriction, adding lines are going to cause some restriction. As the filter clogs up how much will it restrict oil flow? Many filters (not sure if ours does) have a bypass built into them for when the oil is very very cold, or should the filter clog up.

I am not an expert on this motor and do not know how well the oiling system works.

If I was designing this system for my car I would use an external electric pump (Summit Racing) and tap the oil pan for lines in and out. This way you are cleaning the oil without putting any strain on the stock oiling system. I would first see how the oil temps run and then think about using an oil cooler, if needed.

I am very interestedin your project, please keep me informed. I like this stuff!

Last edited by Larry-Cleveland; 01-26-2016 at 04:14 PM.
Old 01-26-2016, 04:05 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

The filtration capabilities of the stock filter allow the engines to live long and happy lives. X-type engine failures due to lubrication problems are unheard of.

This device, even if all the potential drawbacks and side effects were taken care of, would achieve nothing.

Old 01-26-2016, 04:10 PM
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

I have used the per-lub systems on some motors and like them. Not very costly and gives you full oil pressure on start up. Now if you are road racing they also act as a pressure supply should your sump, in the pan, suck up some air on a hard turn. I use them on trucks and tractors that may sit for a very long time between starts.

The catch can is for you PCV line.

Old 01-26-2016, 04:30 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,824 Likes on 3,143 Posts

The catch can is a waste of money as I see it. If the PCV valve is working like it should, you should be getting minimal oil down that line. If you are getting lots of oil down the line, replace the PCV valve. How many PCV valves can you buy for the price of the filter? More than you can probably use in the life of the car.

As for the pre-lube system, if you are starting your car every few days, the amount of additional wear from starting is going to be insignificant over the life of the car. If you are after something that will reduce engine wear, then you want to find one of the micro-filtration system for a vehicle. See https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...?code=BMK23-EA. This is just one example of many out there. This system installs a second oil filter that takes a small amount (normally around 10%) and sends it through a special filter that will filter down to a micro or two in size. This gets rid of all the carbon chunks and super fine metal pieces that cause most of the engine wear. With this system, you install a quality full synthetic oil and then you simply have to change the filters (still uses a standard oil filter to get the "big" chunks) and this special fine filter. They also recommend get the oil analyzed every say 10,000 miles (15,000 KM) to make sure that the oil contains sufficient detergents and is not breaking down excessively due to age/being over heated. With this setup, you can go 50,000 plus miles between true oil changes (still change the filters ever 5,000-7,500 miles). All you are doing is watching the oil parameters and changing out the oil once you start hitting a level that is deemed "outside of normal".

Old 01-26-2016, 05:19 PM
Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts

Will keep you updated Larry, though it will be March most likely.

Thanks for the other comments, I was looking for advice on connecting it up rather than its merits.

The Kleenoil is micro-filtration unless I misunderstood the product

Old 01-26-2016, 05:45 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by santer

The Kleenoil is micro-filtration unless I misunderstood the product

Yes it is.

People are trying to help you understand that there is no benefit with using one of these but some potential serious drawbacks.

The following users liked this post:
santer (01-26-2016)