X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old Smokey 2.0D

Old 02-25-2016, 09:47 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Old Smokey 2.0D

Hi folks. Just bought another 06 x type non starter. Anyway after some minor bleeding work and battery recharge and a small squirt of easy start I got this lump running. It idles ok for a few mins and then starts to smoke from exhaust. If I switch it off and leave it for some time and restart it again it idles for a few mins and starts to smoke again. I have tried disconnecting each injector individually to see if it is an injector issue but it makes no difference to the smoke output. I put diagnostics on it but only fault code is for coolant preheat and the reversing sensors being shorted to ground. I have not looked underneath to see if this model has a DPF or not. I think the smoke is fuel related as it doesn't smell like oil burning. I had a volvo with a chocked DPF which caused the smoking issue but not sure if this model has one. Anybody got any ideas where to start looking.
Thanks in advance.

Old 02-25-2016, 12:45 PM

Fuel will usually be a blueish tint, Oil will be black. I would check the PCV valve, If the engine has a lot of blow up the cylinders and the PCV valve is clogged then it will push oil past the rings and make it smoke after it builds up pressure.
I have seen bad valve seals also do this on other vehicles, not sure on a Jaguar.

How long was it sitting before you bought it?

Old 02-25-2016, 01:18 PM

Thanks. What is the PCV valve and where do I find it? I think its best I do a compression test on it first. I have found a receipt for work where a new injector was fitted and I wonder if this has not been coded into the ECU? Not sure how long its been sitting but its test ran out 11 months ago so I am thinking that long at least.

Old 02-25-2016, 01:25 PM

It is under the plastic covering the valve cover, It has a vacuum line going to it and it either has a green or grey base.

Old 02-25-2016, 01:39 PM

Thanks for that. I take it both the petrol and diesel x types has this PCV valve on them. My one doesn't smoke to begin with only after a few mins does it start.

Old 02-25-2016, 01:42 PM

I have no knowledge of the diesel variants. Sorry

Old 02-25-2016, 01:44 PM

ok thanks. Mine is the 2.0 diesel.

Old 02-26-2016, 08:30 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

X-Type diesel doesnt have a PCV valve and it doesnt have a DPF filter either. It has a catalytic converter sitting behind the engine and a simple breather hose to vent oil fumes into the intake. What color is your smoke? If its black, you want to check the split on EGR hose. Its a common problem on these engines and most likely be the problem on your engine too. You have to take the hose out to see. If its ok, then you want to check the intake hose on the turbo. It deteriorates over time. It might look ok sitting on your engine but you have to undo the jubilee clip on the turbo and try to pull the hose off to see it correctly.

If the smoke is white-blue(ish), then most likely the turbo oil seals have gone south and it needs a turbo rebuild.

Old 02-26-2016, 09:43 AM

Thanks. The plot thickens. I removed the injectors and did a compression test on all 4 cylinders they were at 300psi. I replaced injectors with a known good set I had and still same issue. I removed injectors and fitted the original ones and tried to start it and it was very difficult to turn over even on a jump and noticed that the water had disappeared from header tank which wasn't good. I removed the injectors again and sucked water out the cylinders, refitted injectors but it now turns over ok but won't start so looks like it is the cylinder head gasket that has gone. I am not sure it is worth repairing as it looks a difficult gasket to replace. Might just break it up and keep most parts for my own Jag.

Thanks

Old 03-02-2016, 12:25 PM

Well upon further investigation the water in cylinders had damaged the injectors. I replaced injectors and now it starts again. I decided to look into where the water is going as the compression has never dropped so if water was getting into cylinders then compression would be getting in water. I disconnected the Egr pipe and started it up and a torrent of water came out the silver Egr pipe from Egr cooler so now wonder if the Egr cooler has failed and allowing water to get into the inlet manifold and causing problems.

Old 03-12-2016, 12:00 PM

ok so the egr cooler had failed and was allowing water into the cylinders. I have replaced the egr cooler and it has cured that problem. I replaced the injectors and coded them in and car starts right off the key but it has a slight uneven idle and still smokes and smells of diesel fumes. Does anybody have any idea at all what would cause this 2 litre diesel to smoke the way it does?
All help greatly appreciated

Old 01-10-2017, 06:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to bump an old thread, hopefully you've got the problem sorted by now.

I recently had a similar situation ie a smokey 2.0D and it turned out to be a build up of carbon in the inlet pipe just after where the EGR connects. Apparently if you overfill the oil even slightly the crank vents the extra hot, oily air into the inlet which mixes with sooty deposits from the exhaust (via the EGR) to make a kind of black cake mix that gooes up the inlet restricting the airflow and causing excess back pressure in the intercooler - turbo hose.

I drained my oil down to the right level, blanked off the EGR, scraped all the kak out of the inlet and replaced the slightly split turbo hose. She runs a lot better now.