X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MPG seems really low. What do you think???

Old 12-01-2010, 01:27 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default MPG seems really low. What do you think???

Prior to my engine swap i believe i was gettin around 300 miles out of a tank and thats when the light comes on. I know its a 16 gal tank but when light hitrs you are at 14 so how do you guys rate your fuel?!

Since the newer engine im seein like 260 miles to the tank and i drive 33 miles one way to work. 31 miles being highway. I do not dog my car but im not starin at the MPH either. Even if i did 260 divided by 16...thats 16.25!!!!????? WTF?

I recently did fuel filter, air filter, and plugs. Anybody else experiencing crappy milage? What are you guys getting?

My X is a 3.0 Auto by the way.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got my X-Type and I'm still getting used to it and I get 18.4 mostly city miles on my '02 3.0 5-speed. This is with mixed driving styles, sometimes conscious of the MPGs and sometimes pretty "spirited". Even with that I'm still wanting better gas mileage.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:37 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Now that I've switched to 4 dedicated winter tread tires,my mileage has dropped a couple MPGs to around 22-23. With the summer tires, it normally got 25-26.

That's also with a 40 mile commute (one way) - 30 of which are freeway.

I also keep my tires inflated a bit over (3-4 PSI) the recommended pressure as it tends to wear the outer edges when I go with the recommended pressure. This way they wear evenly and it probably does improve the mileage a tad.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:55 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I get 23-25 HWY (30 if I try ), city is around 17.

there are a lot of variable when it comes to MPG..... hard to say if the engine swap is the cause....

also you will use considerable more fuel in a cold weather climate.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:39 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I wonder if your mileage is due to winter blend at the gas station? Unless, of course, you developed a heavier foot with the new engine.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

I don't really drive highway miles too much because my school is in town, but I get around 19.3 MPG according to my computer system in the car. But lately I've been having some fun with the car and have dropped to 18.5 MPG Also, is the computer system on our cars accurate cause I have literally watched the "Miles Left to drive" counter go down in no time.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:12 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

X-types get rather 'poor' gas mileage. I would say 16-17mpg. I drive like an imbecile any time traffic is light or others aren't around and I can watch the needle dive.
Even with the 3.0 we have an inimical power-to-weight ratio.
We all know that AWD cars in general already possess poor gas mileage due to the nature of the drivetrain and corpulence, but add to that luxury-interior amenities such as sound- dampening, thicker glass, moonroof assembly and a 50lbs battery! (I use a 23lbs battery in mine because I find that ridiculous)
I also find drag coefficient to be high on the X-Type. The fine gap between the headlight assemblies is one overlooked space I feel creates drag on the highway. I used to zip-tie it down TIGHT when road racing my prior X-Type. Also, my Lexus SC430 has a heavily modified V8, and the computer claims 18mpg, and I fill it up much less than the X-Type!

Last edited by j_bond; 12-01-2010 at 10:15 PM.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:14 PM

Thanks for your responses guys. Man some of you are gettin 22+??!!! Jealous!!! LOL

Well honestly prior to the swap i wasnt really impressed with the milage. I know it wouldnt be great due to a lot of weight and AWD but man. I guess i am pretty free spirited with the car cuz as you guys know its just fun to drive. I guess im much like you J-Bond...any open road and im lettin this cat pounce! Ive been drivin modded mustangs since i was 16 and varius other Sport related drivers. My overall crush and long lost love was my 04 Lightning F-150 and my X is comparible to that as far as gas milage and using PREMIUM.

When researching the Lincoln LS engine, it did however state it had slightly more HP and TQ and a few more MPG. Im not sure whats goin on but im confident my spirited driving would bring it down to the 16's mpg. On a tank of gas i maybe jump on it 8-10 times where i pull the gears to anywhere in the ball park of 90-115. If your wondering, here in Michigan on I94 between 10 mile and Metro Airport its pretty much every man for himself. LOL. I dont know guys, ill have to do a fair test when i go up north or a steady long trip i guess.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by exrub
I wonder if your mileage is due to winter blend at the gas station? Unless, of course, you developed a heavier foot with the new engine.
Winner.

Winter gas always lowered my mpg, city and highway. Might rebound a little once the ECU makes some adjustments over time.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:23 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by exrub
I have done some research on this in the past, while the winter blend has more additives to raise the RVP. However the burn rate does not change significantly.

I was reading an article that is has more to do with the colder denser air, and the car having to burn more fuel to keep proper fuel/air ratio. The car can compensate slightly..... but why, winter driving with another 10-15hp is way more fun

Also consider the fluids are colder, so it take more to run the engine, and the AWD system.

Last edited by Jaguardoc504; 12-02-2010 at 08:32 AM.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:47 AM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

Earlier this year, in the heat of summer, I made a run of about 700 miles with our 2002 2.5 AWD and averaged 24.56 miles-per-gallon, driving like the elderly have intercourse (easy, easy, easy).

Last week I did a similar run through snow and ice, strong winds and a snowstorm with an average of 24.64 miles-per-gallon! Temps averaged -8f (-22c) and I drove the car like I had just stolen it.

The difference in mileage was hardly enough to qualify as being a difference.

Possibly the extra speed I drove at actually increased the mileage? (it was considerable - I put the studded tires and AWD through its paces and was truly awed with the performance of both).

The three constants that changed were:

1) 5w20 oil now vs 10w20 oil then,
2) "Real", non-catalytic-cracked gasoline from Wyoming on the return trip, and
3) the Oil Level was NOT 1/2 quart high this run.

All things being equal, it appears the oil level had as much to do with the mileage as anything.

If you are getting lousy milage, I would suspect a slight over-filling of the the crankcase oil. I have read here in a couple of threads on this forum that it can have a considerable negative effect on mileage, and I believe I might have proved it out.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:00 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I must say, a lot of you are getting an average on gas mileage. I have had my cat for a year now, and it's my first one. I have an 02, 2.5. Which, is a little different from the 3.0, but I would think the mileage should be pretty close. I was getting what you guys are getting before I started putting in a fuel cleaner and booster. I was getting anywhere from 19 to 21 around town, and 23 to 25 on the highway. Now I live in the mountains of Pa. too. But once I started putting in the STP cleaner/booster the best mileage on the highway I get now has been 34 MPG and around town 22 to 25 MPG, depending if I'm going up a lot of hills. All of this I'm going by what the car computer is telling me, and it seems right on the money, I get 100 miles out of a quarter tank of gas. Try putting in some cleaner, maybe the injectors from the new motor are a little dirty, a little cleanning can't hurt and maybe it will help your mileage.

Last edited by vai1953; 12-02-2010 at 09:03 AM.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:50 AM
Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

I haven't calculated my fuel economy lately, but I generally get about 400 miles out of a tank sometimes more, sometimes less.

I think the manual trans probably helps some, and I generally don't drive like a maniac, at least not in the X.

What tire pressures are you guys running? That can make a huge difference. I've got mine at about 34 PSI to help fuel economy.

Old 12-02-2010, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy94SC
I haven't calculated my fuel economy lately, but I generally get about 400 miles out of a tank sometimes more, sometimes less.

I think the manual trans probably helps some, and I generally don't drive like a maniac, at least not in the X.

What tire pressures are you guys running? That can make a huge difference. I've got mine at about 34 PSI to help fuel economy.
400 miles? I get 500KM on a good week if I'm driving downhill with a strong backwind! I think I average 22 MPG.

Old 12-02-2010, 06:10 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by I <3 X-Type

When researching the Lincoln LS engine, it did however state it had slightly more HP and TQ and a few more MPG. Im not sure whats goin on but im confident my spirited driving would bring it down to the 16's mpg. On a tank of gas i maybe jump on it 8-10 times where i pull the gears to anywhere in the ball park of 90-115. If your wondering, here in Michigan on I94 between 10 mile and Metro Airport its pretty much every man for himself. LOL. I dont know guys, ill have to do a fair test when i go up north or a steady long trip i guess.
ahhhh.... yes, I remember now.... Ford's are known in the tuning world for having LOWER stated horsepower numbers than dyno'd. I can attest to this. I owned a Lincoln Aviator years back, and it had the 4.6L DOHC 4V from the Mach1 in it. Our stock dyno numbers were MUCH higher than stated on paper. My friend who owns a custom auto shop says he sees this often with Fords. This may be it, You might now possess the highest horsepower X-Type out there! Keep an eye on your Transfer Case!!!!

Old 12-02-2010, 07:28 PM
ud
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by j_bond
X-types get rather 'poor' gas mileage. I would say 16-17mpg. I drive like an imbecile any time traffic is light or others aren't around and I can watch the needle dive.
Still averaging above 25mpg in our X type in 95% city driving (3 mile round trips during rush hour). I hardly call that poor, at least when I compare it to the XJR which is getting 11.5-13mpg is my 3 mile round trip commute long before traffic gets bad or the solid 11mpg the TVR offers. Gives me plenty of reasons to take the bike and savor in my 65-80mpgs

Old 12-02-2010, 10:40 PM

Wow some of you are killin me with your mpg!! LOL. As high as 400 miles on a tank??!! Congrats!!!

J-Bond...my cat does seem a little faster actually. lol. And yes in deed Ford does lower their stats sometimes and i also can atest to this. A good friend of mine owns and operates Alternative Auto Performance in Chesterfield, MI. He used to tune all my mustangs and is a great guy. The 03-04 Mustang Cobra, the 4.6 supercharged stated it had 390 hp when it came out. On the dyno i have never seen one hit such low numbers!!! Those terminators were pushing 430-445 to the wheels!!!! With a simple pulley change and exhaust they were creepin up on 500!! Some say its for insurance perposes and what not but hey, do what ya gotta do Ford

As far as some of the guesses, i would say the guys with the 2.5 manual should be pushin the numbers provided. Us guys with the 3.0 auto's, i dont know man, i wish i could hit those numbers. One of you stated no real change between babying and drivin like ya stole it does have something to do with rpm's and more efficient fuel burn. Like the old 5.0 mustangs, you put a 3.73 gear in over the 2.73 and you actually get the same mpg and sometimes more due to the rpm range and the efficiency. Cold weather does provide more dense air and would probably call for more fuel and the few other guesses but man, im gettin like 10-15 mpg less than some of you, maybe more. Just odd. Ill throw some fuel cleaner in and due my early oil change from the engine swap so i some of the BS out and see what happens.

Old 12-03-2010, 04:55 PM
ud
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

And yes in deed Ford does lower their stats sometimes and i also can atest to this. A good friend of mine owns and operates Alternative Auto Performance in Chesterfield, MI. He used to tune all my mustangs and is a great guy. The 03-04 Mustang Cobra, the 4.6 supercharged stated it had 390 hp when it came out. On the dyno i have never seen one hit such low numbers!!! Those terminators were pushing 430-445 to the wheels!!!! With a simple pulley change and exhaust they were creepin up on 500!! Some say its for insurance perposes and what not but hey, do what ya gotta do Ford
Didn't Ford have a big lawsuit back in the mid 90s for overstating the hp on one of the "special" rustangs? That could play into their logic on understating now. It is much cheaper to not make a claim that might not be the case once production gets rolling.

Old 12-04-2010, 05:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah even though the computer on my 2002 2.5 says 400km to the empty tank...It'll really be closer to 300. Thats with 80%city/20%highway driving. So same poor mileage, around 13L/100km or 18mpg. Thats with 235 tires though, not 225s.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Thanks for your responses guys. Man some of you are gettin 22+??!!! Jealous!!! LOL

If you are running it close to 100mph for stretches I bet that drops your MPG like a rock. Doing that 8-10 times a tankful would do it, especially with the winter weather. Next time you are driving that high speed reset your trip computer and see what the stated MPG is at that time. I bet it's REALLY low. That and a heavy foot here or there at traffic lights and such may not seem like much at the time, but it adds up very quickly. It may not be practical for you, but might be interesting to be as conservative as you can be for one tankful just to see what the MPG would be by altering your driving style.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MPG seems really low. What do you think???