Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   X-Type ( X400 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/)
-   -   P0302, p0303, p1313 (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/p0302-p0303-p1313-72998/)

mcduvall 05-09-2012 07:18 PM

P0302, p0303, p1313

Ok about a month ago, my car started running rough, I had the codes pulled and it showed a misfire on 2, 5, 6, and P1314. I replaced the the back 3 coils and switched one of the known good ones to the #2 spot and it ran fine, I also replaced the plugs, upper intake gaskets, valve cover gaskets, and the fuel tank cap. It ran fine after that, then today it started again, had the codes pulled and misfire on 2, 3, and the P1313 which seems to be a catalyst fault. at a stop on the way home I could see a little smoke on the passenger side and when I got home, the rear exhaust manifold was glowing slightly near the top O2 sensor in the middle. Could a misfire cause this? I have already ordered 3 more coils to replace on the front and will update when that is complete.

Thermo 05-09-2012 07:40 PM

mcduvall, if you are dumping fuel into the cat, yes, it can burn hot enough to make the metal glow red. That is telling me that you have a true misfire condition. Now the question is what is causing it. Because other cylinders are firing normally, we can rule out the time aspect. So, that really only leaves either a bad coil, bad plug, or bad fuel injector. It sounds like you have had a history with the coils, so, I would go after the coils first. But, I would also try running a thing of fuel injector cleaner through the car just to see if it might help things. It kinda sounds like the fuel injector is stuck open (have you seen a significant drop in your mileage? If so, bad injector).

mcduvall 05-13-2012 10:05 PM

I replaced the 3 coils on the front of the engine and it is still misfiring on 2 & 3. It now has 6 new coils and one of the coils I just replaced was on cylinder 2. I checked all three plugs on the front side and they seemed fine. My mech friend says that I need to replace my catalytic converter on the back side between the firewall and engine. I really hope I dont have to do this. I will try injector cleaner and then if that doesnr work, I will switch around some coils on the back, but shouldnt #2 at least be working since I replaced the coil? Oh and I'd like to add how all this happened a few days ago. I went to lunch and when I was getting ready to head back to work. I went to start my car and didnt quite hold the key in the start position long enough and the engine halfway started but didnt stay running. I let it sit for a few seconds and then tryed again, it started right up like normal but was instantly running bad like when it initially was misfiring about a month and a half ago.

mcduvall 05-14-2012 02:35 PM

I figured I'd share this info that a Jag Tech gave me:

Me:
I have a 2002 Jaguar X-Type 3.0L A/T w/ 108k miles. About a month and a half ago it started misfiring and it was really noticable in high gears at lower rpm's. The codes were P0302, P0305, P0306, and P1316. I replaced all plugs w/ NGK Platinum, upper intake gasket, valve cover gaskets (because there was a slight leak around the plugs), the 3 back coils and the fuel filler cap, then it was just a P0302, I replaced the #2 coil with one of the coils that wasnt misfiring from the back side and everything ran fine, no codes, CEL turned off after a few miles. Then last week, I went to start it and i didnt hold the key in the "start" position quite long enough and the engine didnt quite start. I waited a few seconds and tried again, started right up but I could tell was running rough, before getting out of the parking lot the CEL started flashing and was acting the same way it was a month ago. On the way home from work, after about 9 miles, I noticed a little smoke coming from the fron passenger side, when I arrived home about another mile. I popped the hood and found that the exhaust manifold between the engine and firewall was glowing slightly where the O2 sensor was. I let it cool, had codes pulled and it was P0302, P0303, and P1313. I replaced the other 3 coils on the front side of the engine and it is still pulling those codes and the after a few miles the manifold starts to glow. One of my mech friends thinks its the Catalytic converter on the firewall side. Could this just suddenly happen or could be something other than the converter?

Tech:
The converter is glowing as a result of the missfire. We either have a vacuum leak or failing injector causing this and the cat is damaged as a result. In order to check for a vacuum leak we use a smoke tater but you can try listening for a hissing noise when the engine is running after starting cold. For the injectors this will be hard to tell but if you were to remove the manifold and look into each runner you may be able to see if one cylinder is perfectly clean with no carbon or deposits inside the lower manifold. I would also recommend replacing the lower intake seals as well as the imt seals on the passenger side of the intake.

Me:
Ok, my friend had already talked me into buying the converter (should this be replaced as well? If so, is it really as much of a process as some suggest? removing the front sub-frame?), I also purchased the (2) IMT seals and a new pcv hose because it has the old style that just collapses. I will purchase the lower intake seals, try to check for a vaccum leak. Can I check the injectors by seeing how/if they spray with the intake off?

Tech:
Yes I think the cat will need to be replaced but we want to make sure we can find out if some factors led to the cat failing. Yes I lower the sub frame to remove the cat. The other way would be to remove the transfer case but either way it can be difficult.

Yes once you have the intake off you can cycle the key to watch the spray pattern on them. Just be cautious when doing this.

Let me know how you make out.

Me:
I have one more question, you put "smoke tater" did you mean tester? If so how much are they? and where can I aqquire one of these tools?

Tech:
Sorry. Yes a smoke tester. Most shops will have this but will charge you a small fee to check your engine. Basically the tool has pressurized smoke which will fill the intake then you can see if and where you have a leak from.

RenegadeRose 12-29-2012 11:54 AM

Mcduvalle. Sorry I cant offer any advice. I do not know what it is due to me having same problem. Any updates or what did you do to get things working right?