X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

x type oil change

Old 03-20-2008, 04:00 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default x type oil change

Just called the dealer to get a quote on an oil change for an 02 x 2.5 and the dealer quoted me $111 +tax for a regular and $199.99 for a synthetic. Does this sound right to you guys? I used to get regular oil changes for about $25 on my old car and I know its not Jag but $200 for a oil change? This was quoted to me by Coventry North jaguar in Woodbridge (Canada) I am thinking of getting it done my self but Canadian tire does not sell the oil filter does anyone know of where I can get the oil filter and for around what price?

Also I was on ebay and found this deal. Do you guys reccomend buying this?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Jaguar-X-Type-...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 03-20-2008, 04:48 PM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: x type oil change

1.) I wouldn't go to the dealership w/that cost...that's excessive. Are you sure it was just an oil change? I asked my dealership and it was somewhere around $80 for semi-synthetic as specified in manual.

2.) Can you do it yourself? May want to consider that. Invest in a pair of rhino ramps or jack stands...it'll pay for itself in no time.

3.) If not, then go to your local oil shop and just monitor that they perform the oil change properly. There's nothing special about this car in comparison to any other car...plug...filter...and top back up.

I've heard some bad things about Canadian Tire (I'm from MI, so a lot of my Canadian car buddies have only horrible words about them).

4.) As for oil filter you can either buy it directly from the dealership and then take it to a lube shop or use another manufacturer's filter ( I use motorcraft myself-- I want to say FL-400S, but don't quote me on that).

Personally, I wouldn't purchase that thing...it's too expensive, plus you're going to be shipping it from the UK.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:44 PM
Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

That is steep. We have basic oil change for something like $69.00 and Full service inspection, fluids, tire pressure etc for I think $120

Old 03-21-2008, 05:57 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ouch that is steep!

I do all my own oil changes for engine and every other component (t-case, trans, differential).

I would say for half that price of $199you go with a full synthetic oil plus a good filter (Mobil-1, etc) and do it yourself. I spent $60 for 8 quarts of Amsoil 5w-30 and another ~$8 on a Mobil-1 filter.

Regarding the ebay kit, it is advised you replace the cabin and pollen filters every 20k milesper Jaguar Service specs.

Personally, I am not sure why Jag says to replace the drain plug every time, the sealing washer is a rubber washer. I reused mine and is leak free!

Old 03-21-2008, 11:16 AM

Bo, how is CanadianTire for car work, though? Is all the hype I hear from my buddy about them being awful, really true?

Sounds like Jiffy lube around these parts.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

i would call the dealer back and ask what the price was again. it does not sound even close to correct.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There probably charging an hour labor on top of the cost of the oil, filter and drain plug instead of a half hour like they should be. $108-$130hr + $12 for drain plug + $50 for synthetic oil + $15 for filter = $185 - $207 for synthetic oil change. If there using regular oil it shouldnt cost anywhere near $100. Most dealers get a really good deal on regular oil becuase they buy it in bulk, so they dont charge very much for it. Synthetic on the otherhand cancost almost 300% more and dealers dont usualy buy it in bulk so they charge alot more for it.

My prices are only estimates, When I buy my oil filter from jaguar in NYI get it for $9 and when I get it from Jaguar in Florida its $25 (big difference)

Old 03-22-2008, 12:50 AM

For some of you who may not know, Canadian tire is a large home hardwear store kinda like a wal mart but with less variety and they have a larger selection of automotive accessories. They also feature a full service auto repair shop on the store premises. THe store it self is a great store with decent prices but as far as the automotive shop goes I would never take my car there. Most of the employees in the shop are apprentice mechanics and they do some pretty shoddy work. I guess kinda like your Jiffy lube in the states.

This week they have Penzoil synthetic oil jugs for sale at a price of $35 each which I will grab 2 jugs for about $70 then I plan on going to jag to get a $11 oil filter (providing BO is correct on the pricing) so im at roughly $80 my mechanic says he will do the oil change provided I have the parts for $20 so in total I can do my oil change for about $100

I coudl do the oil change my self but I would need to buy the stands and then worry about disposing of the oil (cant pour it down the sewer)

Bo where did you find 6 litres of synthetic oil for $35 and what brand? B/c Canadian Tire has a 3.XX Litre jug of synthetic penzoil for $35 on sale in this weeks flyer reg is $40 something. Also where are you located b/c I wouldnt mind driving to you and paying you to do my diff and transfer case oil change than after I learn I can do it my self.

Old 03-22-2008, 04:45 PM

Richr-

I would refrain from using FRAM oil filters as filtration tests have proven it to be a poor filter. For all these oil-based questions go to BITOG (Bob is the oil guy), the forums are solely based on oil and lubrication. You'll find everything you every wanted to know about oil!

You can get Motorcraft for the same price as FRAM, and it has been proven to be a much better filter. Just throwing that out there.

lol, I, too, thought the X-type was low when I did my first oil change (and I own a 1.5" lowered suspension vehicle that clears it no problem), but it clears rhino ramps quite easily (including the sport suspension).

Mr. Xtype, sorry I didn't follow. So you have to pay him $20 for the drain and fill as long as you provide your own oil and filter? Plus, the jugs are usually 5qts each, so you'll have surplus for the next change, so it's really not $100.

If you just want to do small maintenance, rhino ramps are pretty cost-effective. They'll pay for themselves in no time.

In regards to disposal, here in the US you can take it to any auto parts store and they'll dispose of it for free. I'm not sure of the rules and regulations in Canada but I can ask my buddy. I wouldn't be too surprised if CT does it for free as well. Might want ot ask when you pick up the jugs of oil at your next visit.

Old 03-22-2008, 08:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get a 5qt jug of Mobil 1 extended for about $26 at walmart or royal purple for about $7 a quart. I heard the jag filters were wix filters but I dont remember where I heard it from.

Old 03-23-2008, 01:48 AM

Went to Canadian Tire today and got 2 jugs of 4.44 lites of Penzoil platinum fully synthetic for $50.63 taxes in and now I need to source an oil filter. I will be waiting till my car hits 40k KM to do the oil change, right now I am at 38,543KM. My mechanic said if I bring him the stuff he will do the drain/ re fill and rotate my tires for $20 which I think is good enough conscidering I do not have to get dirty, buy ramps/ stands (though they will pay for them selves in time) or worry about disposal.

Here in Canada no one does any type of disposal for free. If you do an oil change at home the only option you have is to put the dirty oil in a sealed container or jug and to take it to the recycling depot (same place where you would take empty cans of paint/ us unsed house wall paint) and they will dispose of it for free or maybe a couple of bucks not sure.

I remember when I had my sunfire and every time I took it to GM for anything, even a diagnostic they always charged me a $3 disposal fee. I once asked what kind of disposal fee is needed for a diagnostic and I was told it is added to every bill regardless. I think she made a mistake but was too lazy to fix it. Oh well its only $3 not worth the effort.

So in the next week I was goign to go to jag and buy a filter and plug but there parts counter is only open while I am at work and never on weekends so I gotta try going down on my lunch hour to get a filter and plug.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know if an X-Type oil change pictorial exists? I've googled this a couple of times but haven't come up with anything.

Here's a link to what I am looking for, this is for a 2009 VW Jetta

Old 04-08-2011, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by mr.xtype
For some of you who may not know, Canadian tire is a large home hardwear store kinda like a wal mart but with less variety and they have a larger selection of automotive accessories. They also feature a full service auto repair shop on the store premises. THe store it self is a great store with decent prices but as far as the automotive shop goes I would never take my car there. Most of the employees in the shop are apprentice mechanics and they do some pretty shoddy work. I guess kinda like your Jiffy lube in the states.

This week they have Penzoil synthetic oil jugs for sale at a price of $35 each which I will grab 2 jugs for about $70 then I plan on going to jag to get a $11 oil filter (providing BO is correct on the pricing) so im at roughly $80 my mechanic says he will do the oil change provided I have the parts for $20 so in total I can do my oil change for about $100

I coudl do the oil change my self but I would need to buy the stands and then worry about disposing of the oil (cant pour it down the sewer)

Bo where did you find 6 litres of synthetic oil for $35 and what brand? B/c Canadian Tire has a 3.XX Litre jug of synthetic penzoil for $35 on sale in this weeks flyer reg is $40 something. Also where are you located b/c I wouldnt mind driving to you and paying you to do my diff and transfer case oil change than after I learn I can do it my self.
I'm on the west coast of Canada, I go to Mr Lube and get synthetic change for about 60-70. I had them flush and change the transfer case and some other stuff and came away with a bill of 200.00 all in.

Personally I wouldn't get any work done at Canadian Tire if my life depended on it. I'll buy their stuff and do it myself, but wouldn't get their oil filter, I prefer a Lordco or Napa for that.

On the disposal part, here in BC it's all free. I can take my used fluids to any place that sells it and give it to them to dispose of. I pay an enviro fee on all oil products just for that reason.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

I pay $50 for full synthetic at wheel works. So they are really over priced! I would go to an independant shop to get it done.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:40 AM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Do you guys realize your are replying to a post that is THREE YEARS old??? Hopefully he has gotten his oil changed by now!

Old 04-15-2011, 09:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JagXV6
Do you guys realize your are replying to a post that is THREE YEARS old??? Hopefully he has gotten his oil changed by now!
lmao.

I guess people here care.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by JagXV6
Hahaha, OK from now on I'll look. But if you factor in inflation that oil change is now about 1000.00!