Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rad fans will not turn off

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 01:46 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rad fans will not turn off

2002 x-type 2,5 manual 200K KM.

Driving on highway the other day and car started to over heat and leak coolant. Took to shop and the hose at the front by the rad had broke. There is a plastic part and it split at the seam. Also had thermostat replaced at that time.

Drove the car home and after parking and turning off the car the rad fans kept going. Took it back to mechanic and he says I need a new radiator fan control module. Sourced one out but had to drive the car as is for a few days. As I am driving after a good 30 or 40km drive start to notice the temp guage start to go up, pulled over popped hood and saw coolant was low, topped it up all is fine, temp drops.

Still have the ongoing problem of rad fans not turning off when car is turned off. They run for a extra 10 to 15 minutes then turn off.

What is wrong and how do I fix it?

Old 09-25-2013, 03:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like an air lock bubble after the parts were changed.. keep a close eye on that coolant level, i had a similar experience and now i've got a mystery leak...

Old 09-25-2013, 05:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had the same problem a couple of weeks ago. Fans were staying on after I shut the car off, pop the hood open and there was no coolant in the reservoir. Had a small hole in the coolant reservoir and got a new one. I added coolant, then turned on the car and added more as needed and then waited till the fans to come on, turn off the car and put the cap back on. * I have a spill free funnel and it screws on to the reservoir.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:54 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mechanic found a crack in the reservoir bottle, had it replaced and found a tiny leak on a t connector in the front by the passenger head light. Just had it all fixed today, new coolant added and still the fans are not turning off. Also replaced the rad fan control module. Any other ideas? If it is a bubble, how do i get rid of it?

Old 10-13-2013, 04:11 AM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I dunno if you're still dealing with this issue, but here are the instructions on filling your coolant in a X.

Engine Capacity
2.5/3.0L 8.25L

WARNING: Never remove the coolant pressure cap under any circumstances while the engine is operating. Failure to
follow this instruction may result in personal injury. To avoid having scalding hot coolant or steam blow out of the cooling
system, use extreme care when removing the coolant pressure cap from a hot cooling system. Wait until the engine has
cooled, then wrap a thick cloth around the coolant pressure cap and turn it slowly until the pressure begins to release. Step
back while the pressure is released from the system. When certain all the pressure has been released (still with a cloth) turn
and remove the coolant pressure cap from the coolant expansion tank. Failure to follow these instructions may result in
personal injury.

WARNING: To avoid the possibility of personal injury, do not operate the engine with the hood open until the fan
blades have been examined for cracks and separation. Failure to follow this instruction may result in personal injury.

CAUTION: Do not run the engine without first making sure the engine cooling fans operate. Start the engine, set air
conditioning (A/C) to maximum cold, set the blower motor to maximum and observe that the engine cooling fan operates.
Failure to follow this instruction may cause damage to the engine.

CAUTION: The engine cooling system must be maintained with the correct concentration and type of anti-freeze
solution to prevent corrosion and frost damage.

CAUTION: Do not RUN the engine with the coolant pressure cap removed. Failure to follow this instruction may cause
damage to the engine.

CAUTION: Do not RUN the engine without the correct level of coolant. Failure to follow this instruction may cause
damage to the engine.

WARNING: Relieve the cooling system pressure by unscrewing the coolant pressure cap.

1. Remove the coolant expansion tank pressure cap.
2. Remove the undertray
3. Remove the coolant drain plug.
Drain the coolant into a suitable container
4. CAUTION: Do not over tighten the drain plug. Failure to follow this instruction may cause damage to the vehicle.
Install the drain plug when all coolant has drained.
Tighten to 1 Nm.
Remove the drain tray.
5. Install the undertray.
6. Lower the vehicle.
7. Remove the engine cover.
8. Fill the cooling system up to the MAX mark on the coolant expansion tank using a 50% mixture of Jaguar Premium Cooling System Fluid or equivalent, meeting Jaguar specification ESE-M97B44-A and 50% distilled water.
9. Install the coolant expansion tank pressure cap.
10. NOTE:
During this procedure the thermostat should open.
START and RUN the engine at 2000 rpm until the cooling fan operates.
11. Stop the engine and allow to cool for two minutes.
12. Loosely install a pipe clamp to the heater inlet hose.
13. Loosely install a pipe clamp to the heater return hose.
14. START and RUN the engine at 2000 rpm.
15. With the engine at 2000 rpm, fully clamp the heater outlet hose and then fully clamp the heater inlet hose.
16. Continue to run the engine for a further two minutes.
17. Switch the engine off.
18. Remove the heater hose clamps
19. Fit the engine cover.
20. Allow the vehicle to cool to room temperature.
21. Remove the coolant expansion tank pressure cap, top up the coolant level to the MAX mark on the coolant expansion tank.
22. Install the coolant expansion tank pressure cap.

SO that’s how you fill the system… Hope this helps.