X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear parking sensors not working

Old 02-14-2019, 07:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear parking sensors not working

Hi All my X Type rear parking sensors have stopped working they were fine until about a week ago then starting working intermittently now they do not work at all when I put it in reverse however when I turn the ignition on they beep for approx 3-4 seconds then stop any ideas would be gratefully received

Old 02-14-2019, 10:34 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,822 Likes on 3,142 Posts

g4ran, the 3-4 second beeping when you start the car is telling you that there is a problem with the system. What you will want to do is turn the car on (do not start the engine), set the e-brake, and then shift the car into Reverse (chocking the wheels is not a bad idea). From there, you will want to get out of the car and put your ear next to each parking sensor (4 in the back, potentially an additional 4 on the front of our car based on the options that it has). You should hear a high pitch squeal/chirp coming from each sensor. If you find that one of them is not chirping, that is your bad sensor. It will need to be replaced. If none of them are chirping, then you will need to check the fuse for the backup sensor module.

While you are at the back of the car, you may want to do a double check that your back-up lights are lit too. They are what trigger the module to start sensing if there is something behind the car. But, based on the fact that it is beeping at you as soon as you start the car, this is 99% of the time a sensor that has failed.

Old 02-14-2019, 03:20 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If your reversing lights aren't working too or only
intermittently, it's likely to be broken reversing switch
at top of gear box.

Old 02-15-2019, 01:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Thermo, Hi JagXSE thanks for your replies weird thing last night the sensors started working as normal then this morning there was just a continues beep when I put the car in reverse, I am thinking possibly a loose wire somewhere ?

Old 02-15-2019, 11:48 AM
Veteran member

g4ran, I agree, loose wire. This is where you may want to play with your car a little bit and shift it between park and reverse a few times to see if you can make it fail. Then, in the failed state, get out and check the sensors like I mentioned. If you are getting the long tone, then that is telling me that the parking aide module is seeing your reverse lights. The question now is why it is not seeing the sensors. If all 4 are not chirping, bad parking aide module. If only 1 sensor is not chirping, bad sensor most likely, but may be a wiring issue (inspect the wiring).

Old 02-15-2019, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

And dirt on the sensors can also cause this. Clean them.

Old 02-15-2019, 04:54 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My parking sensors haven't worked since I got the car either (early november 2018). Guy before me didn't even know it had parking sensors until I told him.. So granted they had been broken for years.

Haven't gotten to the bottom of what's wrong with it yet but maybe you fellas got some clues? I've done some research but mine seem to have a rare issue.

Basicly,
- Ignition on, reverse gear in, no clicks coming from any of the sensors.
- No beeps or whatever coming from speaker whenever shifting into reverse or reversing.
- Brake light work just fine

Does this mean that module is f**cked? I have checked the parking aid module with my iCarsoft i930 J/LR obd2 reader but it sais there are no codes. Any other ideas?

Old 02-15-2019, 05:02 PM
Veteran member

JaguArvid, based on what you are saying, something in the module is fried. Find a local wrecking yard and get yourself a new module. Warning: There are 2 styles of modules, one for rear sensors only, another for a car with front and rear sensors. The module is in the trunk/boot, between the spare tire and rear bumper. Really easy to replace. Should be able to get a module for fairly cheap too.

The following users liked this post:
JaguArvid (02-17-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
JaguArvid, based on what you are saying, something in the module is fried. Find a local wrecking yard and get yourself a new module. Warning: There are 2 styles of modules, one for rear sensors only, another for a car with front and rear sensors. The module is in the trunk/boot, between the spare tire and rear bumper. Really easy to replace. Should be able to get a module for fairly cheap too.
Thanks for the quick reply, I've seen the module earlier but decided not to touch it, will look around for modules online and maybe on junkyards if I find any.

Old 02-16-2019, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

1x43-15k866-ab

JaguArvid (02-17-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 02:50 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by JaguArvid
My parking sensors haven't worked since I got the car either (early november 2018). Guy before me didn't even know it had parking sensors until I told him.. So granted they had been broken for years.

Haven't gotten to the bottom of what's wrong with it yet but maybe you fellas got some clues? I've done some research but mine seem to have a rare issue.

Basicly,
- Ignition on, reverse gear in, no clicks coming from any of the sensors.
- No beeps or whatever coming from speaker whenever shifting into reverse or reversing.
- Reverse light work just fine

Does this mean that module is f**cked? I have checked the parking aid module with my iCarsoft i930 J/LR obd2 reader but it sais there are no codes. Any other ideas?
It would seem that I have played myself.. The reversing lights don't seem to appear at all, I thought I'd checked them months ago but guessing now that the gearbox mounted reverse light switch is the issue now. Now I'm not an expert on electrics but I do own a multimeter, can someone just give me a quick recap on how I can check whether the switch itself or the wire that connects onto it is burnt out? I reckon it'll be easy enough to undo with a long oxygen sensor socket that I now own, read somewhere online that the switch also is a 22mm.

Thanks as always,

Arvid

Old 02-19-2019, 03:07 PM
Veteran member

Arvid, open up the hood/bonnet and look down behind the battery. You should be looking at the top of the transmission. Sticking out the top of the tranny will be 2 wires connected to a sensor. This is the reverse light switch. Disconnect the connector going to the switch and using a paperclip, stick it into the two openings in the connector. Do you reverse lights come on? If yes, you just proved that the switch is bad. Replace. If not, then some more troubleshooting will be required. It could be an issue between the fuse box and the switch or with the wiring between the switch and the rear of the car. This is where checking for 12 VDC on the paperclip will tell you which end of the car you are looking at having to troubleshoot. If you find 12 VDC on the paperclip, then the problem is in the rear of the car. No 12 VDC, it is between the connector and the engine bay fuse box. If you need to narrow things down more than that, let me know and I will tell you what needs to happen.

JaguArvid (02-19-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Arvid, open up the hood/bonnet and look down behind the battery. You should be looking at the top of the transmission. Sticking out the top of the tranny will be 2 wires connected to a sensor. This is the reverse light switch. Disconnect the connector going to the switch and using a paperclip, stick it into the two openings in the connector. Do you reverse lights come on? If yes, you just proved that the switch is bad. Replace. If not, then some more troubleshooting will be required. It could be an issue between the fuse box and the switch or with the wiring between the switch and the rear of the car. This is where checking for 12 VDC on the paperclip will tell you which end of the car you are looking at having to troubleshoot. If you find 12 VDC on the paperclip, then the problem is in the rear of the car. No 12 VDC, it is between the connector and the engine bay fuse box. If you need to narrow things down more than that, let me know and I will tell you what needs to happen.
Not all heroes wear capes, not that I know you're not wearing one..

Thanks again Thermo, will test tomorrow in the daylight and get back with update afterwards.

Old 02-19-2019, 03:42 PM
Exclamation Reversing switch

In my case it was simply a case of swapping reversing light switch on top of gear box:
https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/search/465590010
A simple fix.

Last edited by JagXSE; 02-19-2019 at 03:43 PM. Reason: typo
JaguArvid (02-19-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 07:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JagXSE
In my case it was simply a case of swapping reversing light switch on top of gear box:
https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/search/465590010
A simple fix.
Hi JagXSE have you got any idea how to reach for the switch and the tools to loosen it up??

My 2.2D doesn't do reverse aid after I have the clutch replaced, so the switch seems to be the only problem so far.

Old 02-20-2019, 02:07 AM

Right.

Great news! Couldn't find a paperclip so took one of my gf's bobby pin and chopped off the plastic ends with a nipper, it fit perfectly into the connector and indeed, not only did the reverse lights come on but as I went to check them I could hear the reverse parking aid from the cabin. It seemed to have been working properly as I went further or closer to the car.

Not having to buy new module or sensors for fail testing or spending way too much at a repair shop thanks to this forum is just the best feeling ever.

Ordered a new reverse light switch already, thanks a lot guys n gals.

Arvid

Old 02-20-2019, 02:44 AM
Veteran member

Arvid, good to hear that you figured out what is going on. That switch seems to be the "weak link" on the manual cars. That is why I ask if your reverse lights work. Replacing the switch takes no time at all to do. Just don't applying monkey force to install the switch and all will be good.

Old 02-26-2019, 10:12 AM

Update, recieved the switch yesterday and installed it, both lights and sensors working just fine now.

Cheers

Old 02-26-2019, 10:41 AM

Good news; for the benefit of others in the future, what size socket did you need??

Old 02-26-2019, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by JagXSE
Good news; for the benefit of others in the future, what size socket did you need??
Quite interesting this, I saw someone else mentioning during the same fix on youtube that it was a 22mm socket, which I don't own one of. But a few weeks back I changed one of my oxygen sensors and I remembered that socket being 22mm too, so I used the very same breaker bar and the very same oxygen sensor tool (pictured, not the very same but similar design) that Thermo suggested I should get and the reverse light switch went off incredibly easy!

Regards,
Arvid

EDIT: I should note that it was a bit tricky to reach at first with me being very optimistic and trying without removing anything else. After failing and removing the battery and battery box I had more than enough room, though.

Attached Images  
JagXSE (02-26-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear parking sensors not working