X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ride Improvement?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 05:12 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Ride Improvement?

I've never heard anyone complain about the handling of an X Type but there have been plenty gripes about the ride quality. Over the past few days in trying to resolve an excesive front camber condition that just ate another set of tires in record breaking time, I've read all sorts of guesses as to what the cause may be and often it seems to involve replacing the springs, struts or both.

Forgeting the camber issue for a moment, has anyone ever replaced comparatively low mileage struts for whatever reason and experienced a vastly improved ride quality? I'm just curious if this has ever occurred.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ckeck your struts and shocks. Then have a good alignment done, using the recently-posted-here (in this forum) new alignment numbers. And what brand of tires do you use? I was sold a set of Dunlops for my wife's XJ8 and they were horrible-wore fast and were loud. I usually go with Continentals-they last longer and are just all around better. And check the tire inflation numbers. Those might help.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guarantee you it is not the camber. You have too much toe out. I had the exact problem. Did my own alignment (not hard, trust me) Set toe to as close to 0 as you can. A very very little toe in is OK. Will give a less jittery steering response.
Toe out is wonderful if you track your car.
Google toe in/out to learn more.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:53 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JagXtype2002sport
I guarantee you it is not the camber. You have too much toe out. I had the exact problem. Did my own alignment (not hard, trust me) Set toe to as close to 0 as you can. A very very little toe in is OK. Will give a less jittery steering response.
Toe out is wonderful if you track your car.
Google toe in/out to learn more.
I'll agree with you about being toed out but I don't think that's 100% of my problem. I was following my wife yesterday and couldn't believe the way the tire rolled over on the inside edge when taking a corner. I discussed this at length with the alignment shop along with the current settings to come up with a course of action. I'm taking it in tomorrow armed with the new specs and knowledge to get it properly sorted.