X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Right-hand dipped beam out – replaced bulb, still not working

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 08:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Right-hand dipped beam out – replaced bulb, still not working

I have a 2004 X-Type. The right-hand (US passenger side) dipped beam went out recently; I replaced the bulb, but it is still not working. I also checked the fuse, and the fuse is fine. The wires inside the housing appear to be okay as well.

Any idea what else could be causing just this one light not to work and how to fix it?

Thanks

Old 07-30-2009, 10:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you sure that connection at the bulb is not burned? I bet it is. In which case the dealer sells a new lead you'd have to solder in if you want it done correctly. If you don't solder it in, use butt connectors, but it will fail again. Good luck.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:35 PM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

I ordered the leads for an X Type, which is a foreign car to me. I was sent:

41841176 connector $7.52
41841177 connector $7.37
XR851816 bulb $11.75

If you can't get these items easily through your local dealer, PM me and I can mail them out, free shipping. Apparently as Po indicates, this is a very common problem.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:19 AM

All the wires look like they're in good shape to me. I did notice that the wiring is not the same on the driver's and passenger's sides of the car. I'll follow up with pictures in a few minutes.

The good news is, I'm getting very good at replacing the bulbs—I have to say, once you know what to do, it's a five-minute job.

Thanks,
Doug

Last edited by CarLuva; 07-31-2009 at 09:29 AM.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:38 AM

Okay, so the wiring on the driver's side of the car (the headlight that is working) looks like this:

The wiring on the passenger's side (the headlight that is not working) looks completely different:

To explain: On the driver's side, there are a yellow wire attached directly to the lead on the bulb and a brown wire attached to the ground lead on the headlamp casing. On the passenger's side, both the yellow wire and the brown wire are plugged into a harness; the harness clips to the lead on the bulb and nothing attaches to the ground lead. Is this the factory configuration for this car, or did the previous owner jerry-rig it already to fix a problem? I don't see any reason it should be a problem, but hopefully this info and the pictures will be helpful.

Unfortunately, my multimeter is in storage and I can't get to it, so I can't test connections, but all of the wires look like they're in great shape. I see nothing on the wires themselves to indicate any problems; the harness looks fine externally, as well, but my guess is that's the weak link, if anything.

Does anyone know if this car uses a single solenoid for both headlights or if there are two separate solenoids? That's the only other idea I have.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Carluva, the passenger side looks like an original connector and is likely melted inside. The Drivers side has been replaced and is wired correctly as a replacement. Do to your passenger side what's been done on the driver's side and you should be all good.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:03 AM

Thanks, mohrd. I'll see if I can come up with a couple of those connectors and the necessary tools! If I am able to get this fixed without having to pay a mechanic a couple of hundred dollars I will be very grateful to everyone here!

Old 08-03-2009, 10:23 AM

Thanks to everyone for your help! I replaced the connector yesterday afternoon (it took me about an hour) and the headlight now works! At a grand total cost of $22 (including replacement bulbs for both headlights), I consider that a great success! Thanks again for everyone's help; I am very much indebted to you all.

Doug

Old 08-05-2009, 02:45 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Was this harness to a hid headlight balast??
I have the same issue with a 02..I thought it was the balast, but now looks like its a different headache...but cheaper lol

Old 08-05-2009, 03:35 PM

No, this was on a standard halogen light setup.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Pictures please

CarLuva, you track back to this thread promising pix of how you fixed it and what it looked like after fixing. I realize I'm only now coming to this thread and you may no longer have the pix or the car for that matter, but, if you or anyone else has photos of how to do this conversion from the melted connector to two separate spliced connectors, with one attaching to the back of something or another (with a female spade, whatever that is), I would be most grateful. Also, does one need a soldering iron to splice? Or is that just done with wire strippers and electrical tape? Thanks!

Old 01-12-2014, 04:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Example Pictures

I'm glad I came across this thread, my drivers side bulb went out and I went to replace it and it was a pain to get out, it was carodded and factory connector, I am going to post both pictures. The passenger side was already fixed so as soon as I am able to go to the autopart store to get some nice connectors. Once I get them I will attempt to make the drivers like the passenger side. The ground on the passenger was plugged into the little part where the clips from the bulb are secured. The other wire of course plugged into the bulb.

Old 01-11-2019, 10:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CarLuva
All the wires look like they're in good shape to me. I did notice that the wiring is not the same on the driver's and passenger's sides of the car. I'll follow up with pictures in a few minutes.

The good news is, I'm getting very good at replacing the bulbs—I have to say, once you know what to do, it's a five-minute job.

Thanks,
Doug
Originally Posted by JagtechOhio
I ordered the leads for an X Type, which is a foreign car to me. I was sent:

41841176 connector $7.52
41841177 connector $7.37
XR851816 bulb $11.75

If you can't get these items easily through your local dealer, PM me and I can mail them out, free shipping. Apparently as Po indicates, this is a very common problem.
I could use those items

Old 01-11-2019, 11:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

Ummmm.... 11 year old thread post.....