X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sound clip of the whining noise, please listen.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 12:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sound clip of the whining noise, please listen.

Hi guys,
This whining noise has progressively been worsening, i touched on it in a prior post
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=17388
Since that post i did drain and refil my Transfer Fluid but unfortunately that did not improve the noise. Turn up the volume fairly loud and youll hear a high pitched hum, it cuts in and out becasue as i accelerate it comes on and when i lay off it goes away entirely. If anyone has a clue please let me know. thanks!

Old 07-01-2009, 06:49 PM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I think mine does the same thing. I can only hear it when accelerating, but as soon as i let off it goes away. I would think that if its the transfer case it would to it regardless of being on or off the gas since its always moving.

Old 07-02-2009, 04:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yah mine does the same thing when um accelerating or when um picken up speed up to 40 miles/hour on the freeway after that it becomes very low pitched pretty annoying however it goes away in warmer weather.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:41 AM

Really? mine started doing it a few months ago and is noticeably getting worse, its louder in person than on the vid. I can deal with the noise but i'm more worried that the transer case or tranny is a ticking time bomb...

Old 07-06-2009, 10:47 AM

anyone else?

Old 07-06-2009, 10:54 AM
Banned

Have you checked the rear differential lube..?
Have you tried greasing the Prop Shaft carrier bearing?

Old 07-06-2009, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Colt
Have you checked the rear differential lube..?
Have you tried greasing the Prop Shaft carrier bearing?
No ive done neither, the sound comes from the front of the car and seems like its more on the drivers side. I'll do a search on greasing the prop shaft, is that fairly straight forward?

Old 07-06-2009, 08:47 PM
Banned

Sounds such as these are hard to pin point..if you are relatively certain it's coming from the front, then ..

1. Does it make the sound while in park or neutral? (at a stand still while revving)

NO...then it could be a wheel bearing or transmission problem. (located on Driver's side)

YES...then it could be an idler pulley bearing or, water pump. (located on Driver's side)
Or it could be any of the idler pulleys/belt tensioners..or an alternator bearing
Also Check P/S fluid level...Problem sounds with the pump can radiate all over the car.

Remember, I'm just SWAG'ing it...

Last edited by Colt; 07-06-2009 at 08:58 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Colt
Sounds such as these are hard to pin point..if you are relatively certain it's coming from the front, then ..

1. Does it make the sound while in park or neutral? (at a stand still while revving)

NO...then it could be a wheel bearing or transmission problem. (located on Driver's side)

YES...then it could be an idler pulley bearing or, water pump. (located on Driver's side)
Or it could be any of the idler pulleys/belt tensioners..or an alternator bearing
Also Check P/S fluid level...Problem sounds with the pump can radiate all over the car.

Remember, I'm just SWAG'ing it...

The noise is very predictable, it only does it under load. If i get off the throttle or take it out of gear it goes away entirely, and the pitch increases as the speed increases. But it doesnt matter what gear im in or the RPM's it always sounds the same in relationship to the speed im going. Does that help narrow it down at all?

Old 07-07-2009, 07:30 AM
Banned

Then I'm leaning in the direction of either the Prop Shaft bearing, or Rear Differential....and of course maybe the Transfer Case.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:18 AM

Ok, i'm going to put it on stands and throw it on cruise control so i can get under there and see if i can hear where its coming from.... scary part is it doesnt do it till about 40+mph...

Old 07-07-2009, 10:48 AM

Ok i just put it on stands and tried to narrow down the noise but not only was the engine noise too excessive to hear the whine i also lost my nerve and didnt dare to get the speed up above 40 ther was a noticeable humm from the prop shaft but not the noise i hear from the cabin. I think i'm going to take it to a shop and have them lift it to get a better diagnosis. Also i have not changed the tranny fluid since ive had the car, its a manual trans, how often should that be changed? thanks

Old 07-07-2009, 12:21 PM
Banned

I changed out all the fluids and lubes in my X at 30,000 miles including P/S, coolant and Brake fluid...IMO, I would change out these fluids and lubes every 30,000 miles...It maybe over kill, but I'm old school and an ounce of preventative maintenance is a lot cheaper than major repairs..

Good luck with your problem

Old 07-11-2009, 08:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car made the same noise. The transfer case was empty. Had no oil in it whatsoever. So I had it filled when I got my clutch replaced. Noise went away, then on December 24th 2007...

The car shook violently, then the transfer case failed. Good times in that Jaguar I tell you whut.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by SpartanX
My car made the same noise. The transfer case was empty. Had no oil in it whatsoever. So I had it filled when I got my clutch replaced. Noise went away, then on December 24th 2007...

The car shook violently, then the transfer case failed. Good times in that Jaguar I tell you whut.
Ouch, nice Christmas present huh... First thing i did was flush the case. It was low on fluid, about half full but the flush didnt remedy the noise at all, I just flushed the tranny aswell and lubed the Prop shaft and no improvement either... I think its time to take it to the shop and see what is going on before i find myself stranded somewhere

Old 07-12-2009, 07:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts
Old 07-13-2009, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by JimC64

Thanks, i did lube the Prop shaft aswell as change the tranny fluid but no improvement.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:00 PM
Default Sound clip of the whining noise, please listen

Originally Posted by matl
anyone else?
Hi you can bet your boots that its the prop shaft centre bearing, i had the same fault at 32mph and at 5mph and it drove me mad ....had to take it to jag 3 times to be sure and it was the prop mine had only done 15000 at the time so took the chance and paid for a new prop the result was problem now gone and its soooooo qqquiet. Thae bad news was £450 quid.

The following users liked this post:
Boomslang (05-20-2013)

Quick Reply: Sound clip of the whining noise, please listen.