X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sound clip of the whining noise, please listen.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 10:18 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Geez Calico....wake up on the wrong side of the steering wheel? As I pointed out; You don't buy a Jag to save money. If you don't have money to put into these cars i.e. Jag, Alfa etc....then yes, buy a Honda or something "reliable"; I've had 2, a CRX and Civic...but that was when Honda was still cool.

Sounds like you bit off more than you could chew; sorry about your luck, really.

My first car was a 1967 Ford Mustang Coupe with a 289 bored out to a 302. I had a Chiltons manual that allowed me to hit pick a part (the junk yard) for parts and fix every last thing on the car but you, of course, had to stay on top of it's repairs/maintenance; so I guess I'm a little nostalgic for being nickled and dimed by my ride. This is the whole reason I'm on these forums i.e. not so much that I will be able to fix the Jag myself but rather that I understand what my mechanic is saying to me (and whether that's bollox so that I can make informed decisions on what to fix and when to fix it.

BTW...what are you driving 0.o?

Old 04-03-2012, 09:57 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i had same noise on my jag and it was on the same side

Took it to the garage and they said it was a wheel bearing , I got it done and the noise went ,

Hope this helps
Sean

Old 04-11-2012, 03:29 PM

Whew...not too bad. Turns out that it is an idler pulley. My Jag guy says that, in fact, I could go another 5k-10k miles before it "fell apart"....provided I don't mind the noise...which I do

To be specific:

New Serpinteen Drive Belt (old one was so worn it had begun to impregnate itself on the pulley) $61.75
Idler Pulley Upper $76.25
Light bulb wedge (LF marker light) $1.35
Labor (diagnose, replace parts, clear ECM for tranny so it can "learn" how I drive, set tire pressure to 38 front 32 rear) $212.50
Total incl tax $362.65

Quiet growl of Jag and serene feeling of car being "sound".....Priceless!

Last edited by SBJAG; 04-13-2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jaguar 2002 X Type Automatic 100k

This is brand new issue. a small whining noice happens only when car has run for about 40min and only when pressing the accelerator. No noise at idle or if I drop to nuetral. A soft pitched whinning sound as I accelerate, but never loud. Once it starts seems to happen at 5mph or 55mph I have read that it might be start of xfer case symptoms and to keep an ear on it. Besides that transmission sifts well, and no other symptoms. If I drive to work with no traffic, about 30 minutes I don't seem to ever hear this, only when I sit in traffic a while, then pretty consistant last 5 minutes of drive and gets drowned out if I accelerate.

Very close to the sound in the video left by opening poster, except doesn't happen when car is cold. Also temperature gadge, which I know works fine, shows normal

Old 04-19-2012, 07:33 PM

Oh bother....

I have another low whine that I think was happening at the same time my other one was. This one only happens under load though and gets substantially quieter after driving around for a little while.

I just called my Jag guy and he said something about the tranny fluid moving through a small pipe..or something..and that he could put an additive in it that should shut it up.

Anybody know what he's talking about...before I drag it back in there tomorrow?

Old 04-21-2012, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by SBJAG
Oh bother....

I have another low whine that I think was happening at the same time my other one was. This one only happens under load though and gets substantially quieter after driving around for a little while.

I just called my Jag guy and he said something about the tranny fluid moving through a small pipe..or something..and that he could put an additive in it that should shut it up.

Anybody know what he's talking about...before I drag it back in there tomorrow?

LOLZ, i keep telling people, if theres one thing your going to get used to owning a jag is the never ending rotation of problems and no money in your pockets...lolz im very happy with my ugly 5 series wagon.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:34 PM
Talking

well I know that parts for Jags can be expensive, and they do cause probs, but so do all cars after a few thousand miles. I have had to sort a few things on mine over the last 3 years, but its drove every day and I do about 25-30 k a year. But I still love the beast.

as for whinning noises, the reason they stand out is because when a jag is right it is a sweet drive so when something goes wrong it really stands out.
I have had to change the bearings on three of my wheels, and the back shocks, but thats still not bad for the miles i do.
dont forget that some of the running gear is ford (which aren't to bad).

I LOVE MY JAG despite some of the minor irritations.
but the cheapest fix and prob sorted re a whinning noise was the intake pipe for the air breather, it had dozed a bit in the middle and was forming an ad hoc whistle that sounded very like a bearing, a small peace of copper tube inside the pipe to keep the pipe clear and right as rain

Old 04-15-2013, 12:26 PM

This is SBJAG - something happened with my old account not sure what but....

Anyways, here is a sound clip of the noise...please help:

Old 04-15-2013, 12:32 PM
The following users liked this post:
UKnFor-dluv-expat (02-22-2014)
Old 04-15-2013, 12:46 PM

Should've mentioned what was already tried = Replaced all pulley wheels and belt. Mechanic (JAG certified) still isn't sure what it is but says he can put some fluid in the TC that might make it quieter. My concern is that that either the fluid may hurt the TC or just mask a bigger problem.

I saw mention of this fluid in the Jag Manual but it obviously didn't come with a sound clip of what the fluid is for (ie sound type). It did say not to use it if unnecessary.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:13 PM

Anyone?

Old 04-16-2013, 10:18 AM

No ideas on what the sound is....?

Old 10-25-2013, 04:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SBJAG2
No ideas on what the sound is....?
I noticed a whining sound on my S Type today, and when turning a corner the steering tried to straighten itself.
When I got home, I checked my Power Steering oil pot and it is nearly empty. I will top it up tomorrow and see if it stops the noise.

I'll be back.

Old 10-27-2013, 06:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. Me again.
Saturday: Topped up with oil. Whining stopped.
Sunday: Empty again. :-(
Now booking into garage to have it repaired under warranty.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:54 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SBJAG2

Okay, I just changed my tranny oil idumitsu k17 and that noise started after I did the test run following the change. What was the problem?

Old 03-21-2015, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by matl
Hi guys,
This whining noise has progressively been worsening, i touched on it in a prior post
humming noise at higher speeds, is it the TC? - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
Since that post i did drain and refil my Transfer Fluid but unfortunately that did not improve the noise. Turn up the volume fairly loud and youll hear a high pitched hum, it cuts in and out becasue as i accelerate it comes on and when i lay off it goes away entirely. If anyone has a clue please let me know. thanks!

Those this ummmm, sounds like a Motorcycle engine? when accelerating lightly. I think my buddy has the same problem with his X 2.2D 6 Speed Manual, but he does not have the 4x4 system what could be this due to?

Thank You,
John