Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedo problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 09:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Speedo problems

Hey guys,

Just want to say thanks ahead of time for any help you can provide. I have an 04 xtype awd stick shift petrol with around 94k on it. I have been having some speedometer issues and have been unsuccessful at finding an answer as to what it could be. So I guess to describe the problem is where to start. When I first turn on my car my speedometer will work briefly but after driving a block or two and having to make a stop at a stop sign my speedo falls to zero. If I continue to drive in town it will not start working at anytime either. Now once I get to the highway and up to speed i can turn the car on and whole coasting pop the clutch to start the car and the speedo will start to come back to life it will pause for a brief moment around 30 mph or 50 mph and then shoot up to the correct speed. Now if I continue to drive on the highway and don't have to do any severe shifting or hitting any bumps it for the most part stays on working correctly until I get off the highway and come in to another town with numerous stopping and going which it then falls to zero if shut it off and restart while in town it works again but only till the next stop or bump. My tach works fine and I believe the odometer is reading true as well. My abs light is on and the last time I had it for codes there were two wheel sensors throwing codes. I just had a wheel bearing fixed and haven't got my car back but when it was in they were saying it wasn't showing codes at all so I am not sure if there was something they did to fix these or not when I get it back I will have the codes run again. I hope you guys have a least some guidance and not to bad of news I m hoping it has to do with the wheel sensors but when they said the codes weren't there it through me off. Any help is more than appreciated thank you!!

Old 08-24-2014, 09:33 PM
Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

Hi,
It could be a bad abs modular. It could be starting to go out. Or a bad ground point where the abs unit is located. Also could be they put the bearing in wrong and the sensor is not reading correct. Let us know what you find. I have a few abs units if you need one.

Good luck,
The DR!

Old 08-25-2014, 06:54 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Hannold, first start off by getting the codes read. I am placing money that you are going to get 2 of the following codes: C1145, C1155, C1165, and/or C1175. If you are getting 2 of these codes at the same time, the car doesn't know what to believe, so, it goes into a "safe mode" and puts the speedo at 0. Hence why you are seeing what you are seeing. Now, based on what you are seeing, odds are, you are looking at a wiring issue and most likely it will be in the last 3 feet of wire running from the body to the spindle.

Lets see what the codes are, then we can give you a bit more detailed info.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:39 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Changing the cv joints was my fix. reluctor ring was a bit rusted.

Old 08-25-2014, 04:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the help so far guys! I got the codes checked today and they p1000 (which is just a general code correct?) and then c1155 c1165 and c1175. Hope this info gives you a little more detail to help me out! Thanks again!

Old 08-26-2014, 06:38 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Hannold, yes, P1000 is simply stating that the computer has not/cannot complete the checking of error codes without finding something or hasn't had the time to.

Based on your codes, you are more than likely looking at a mix of wiring and sensor issues. I would do a visual of the 3 wheels in question and see if you can spot anything with the wiring and then atleast on the rear wheels, look down in the hole after removing the sensor to see if you can spot the geared wheel (reluctance ring) inside the hole. It is most likely that you have bad rings in the rear end and a wiring issue on the front wheel.