Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   X-Type ( X400 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/)
-   -   Steel sump pan resonating (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/steel-sump-pan-resonating-203270/)

Man on the hill 06-13-2018 12:34 PM

Steel sump pan resonating

When I bought the car last year the "mechanic" replaced the clutch components due to a screeching clutch release bearing.

Because of his shoddy work, and cutting corners, I have slowly been sorting out issues with the car.

As the engine was lifted with a jack, the sump pan underside was pushed upwards, the car has been used like this until now.

I welded a link of a chain on the underside, and managed to lever the pan centre down approx 1/2" or so.
This was done because the oil pickup was touching the sump.

Now the sump is resonating at certain engine rpm's, if I press the pan underside it stops.
The oil pickup is not now touching the pan.
I assume the steel has stretched and causing this problem ?

I have welded a flat bar on the underside to add some mass to it, this has moved the resonant frequency down slightly, but has otherwise not cured the problem.
As I will need to refit the undertray, space under the pan is limited.

Any good ideas without replacing the sump pan ?

Paul.

Alfadude 06-13-2018 01:49 PM

Why not just bite the bullet and fix it properly by fitting a new pan instead of trying so many different things to compensate for it? Plus, are you sure there wasn't any damage done to the sump or pickup?

I have to ask, why didn't you take it back to the mechanic that did the damage in the first place?

Man on the hill 06-13-2018 02:40 PM

I did try to remove the pan, but they are bonded on too well, they are known for this.
It became obvious that removing the pan would destroy it beyond repair, so I then decided to pull it back out, hence the welding and pulling.

After straightening it, I did not expect the resonance problem, so this is where I am at now.

It was many months after the clutch was sorted that I saw the damage on the sump pan.

With the oil pan damaged, the car otherwise ran ok, so I don't suspect damage of the oil pickup.

Paul.

Alfadude 06-13-2018 03:38 PM

I see you have a diesel. Not sure how the pan is on those engines compared to a gasoline engine.

dwclapp 06-13-2018 06:44 PM

The oil pan is cast aluminum on Petrol X-Type 2.5L and 3.0L's. I didn't realize Diesel X-Types have steel oil pans. Learn something new every day.

Man on the hill 06-13-2018 07:54 PM

Yes the diesel uses the ford duratorq tdci engine.
The steel pan is bonded to the lower flange with a tough sealant with no gasket.

As the 4 pot diesel engine produces far more vibration than the petrol (gasoline) models, jag spent some effort in reducing noise and vibration.
Even so, resonances of dash and fittings is more challenging !

Paul.