X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TCM Removal & Cleaning Help | 03 xtype 3.0

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 01:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TCM Removal & Cleaning Help | 03 xtype 3.0

Was doing research on why I would get irregular gearbox faults that in my case didn't seem to do much. From what I read this can be from an issues where water travels down the wiring harness leading to the TCM and causes water damage.

I'm figuring that the water is coming from the dried out weatherstripping that go vertical on each side of the windshield, water is going from the bottom end where that rubber floppy piece is and finding its way to the TCM.

With all this in mind and after watching a video on how to seal it properly as well as clean it, I took on the task and quickly found out how incredibly hard it was.

I was aware that the tcm is below another module that would need to be removed first. It's held in by 2 nuts on ether side. The right side towards the front of the vehicle was awkward but able to be done somewhat easily. However the opposing nut was just about impossible to get to. I could get my fingers on it to know it's location but that is as far as it went for me. Did some more reading and apparently removing the kick plate helps with giving just enough room to make the job possible. Ended up having some issues getting the first plastic panel leading into the floor, it is held in by friction clips and really didn't want to budge for me and I didn't want to break it.

Ended up calling it a day because the position I had to be in was really uncomfortable and I was making no progress. Hopefully one of you guys can help me out, I'm fairly new to working on vehicles and lack hands on experience but can find things out through research well enough. Any words of advice that can make this job go easier would be amazing and greatly appreciated.

Old 12-05-2017, 02:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts
Old 12-05-2017, 03:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dell Gailey
Watched that exact video, which was helpful with how to clean and waterproof but didn't really help much in terms of removal. I know where all the bolts are but can't access them