Thoughts on transmission filter

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts
Question Thoughts on transmission filter

Wondering if anyone has tried this =

Amazon Amazon

Thought about putting it in the cooler line?

Old 05-06-2017, 08:55 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

I would be a little leary of it. As that is really a remote engine oil filter, using it for the transmission has me asking myself a lot of questions. Yes I know they call it a tranny filter system, but look at what it is and read what the filter says.

The big thing that you have to ask yourself is how fine of particles does the tranny make, how fine of particles does the filter supplied filter down to, and what size filters does the factory filter go to. From my reading about wear particles (granted this is relating to engine oil, but the tranny would fall into the same category), removing particles from the fluid is good, but if you are trying to eliminate parts wear due due to particles left in the fluid, then even the filter that they include will not do what you are after. Most filters like the one you picture are good down to around 1 micron in size. Particles smaller than that will normally make it through the filter. If you are trying to remove the wear particles, you need something that will filter down to atleast 0.3 micron in size (preferably smaller). The problem with these fine of filters is that they offer up too much resistance to flow. So, most of these sorts of filters for vehicles only filter about 5-10% of the fluid on any pass, but this is enough to keep the particles big enough to cause wear in check. Granted, once you do this, in theory, you would never need to change the tranny fluid (provided you never abused the tranny, resulting in the tranny fluid getting too hot). Vehicles that run the special filters for ultra filtration can run the same oil for 100K miles before the fluid needs to be changed (still need to do filter changes every 10-15K miles and have the oil tested to determine when the fluid should be changed). Then all you have to do is worry about keeping the anti-friction additives up to the needed levels. But ,that should be fairly easy with the tranny fluid. Engine oils you have to periodically add in more detergents (oil tests will tell you that).

The following users liked this post:
Dell Gailey (05-07-2017)
Old 05-07-2017, 12:45 AM
Veteran Member

Thx, Thermo. Yeah, looks like just an oil filter. What are your thoughts on this one (installed on return line, comes in 5/16", 3/8", & 1/2")?

Magnefine 3/8 Inch Magnetic Inline Transmission Filter

Old 05-07-2017, 12:52 AM
Veteran Member

Interesting results for less than 1,000 miles run on the filter.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...GdpbaFHWL_cEZg

Old 05-07-2017, 07:44 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Dell, keep in mind that because that was on an older vehicle, there will be particles left inside the tranny (only way to remove them is to drop the pan and wipe it out). So, what the guy shows in the video is not all that impressive to me. Any tranny with say 100K miles on it will end up with the same sort of results. That is all band wear material.

Sure, getting that stuff from floating around inside the tranny is good, but the bigger killer of transmissions is heat. So, if you are wanting to make your tranny last longer, a bigger cooler will be of more benefit than any filter that you can install when comparing upfront cost to repair costs. Having a filter like this added to the car is going to be of some benefit, but if money is of a concern, you would be better off getting a larger cooler and installing that.

Old 05-09-2017, 04:08 PM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

Like the Freelander guys slapping the big Hayden cooler and the Mistubishi truck remote tranny filters on...that's a 506E trans, IIRC.