Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   X-Type ( X400 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/)
-   -   Throttle position sensor (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/throttle-position-sensor-86984/)

alfaholic 12-22-2012 04:25 PM

Throttle position sensor

Apparently the throttle body on my wife's 2004 is failing. There is also a throttle position error code as well. Is the throttle positions sensor part of the throttle body, or is it a separate part?

Thanks is advance.
Greg

reyesl 12-23-2012 10:03 AM

Might have some info here to help.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-2004-a-81565/

disguay 12-25-2012 01:15 PM

The tps (throttle position sensor) is part of the throttle body and it needs no programming. That means that you can take your bad throttle body and simply replace it (30 minutes by yourself) with a good unit. It's a really easy swap. I've had to take my throttle body off many times.

If it were me doing the repair I would buy a used part, because it's so cheap and it's such an easy part to get at. If you want a new one, they will destroy you on the price unless you buy one of these (just make sure it fits!!!!) 4x43 9F991 AA Throttle Body for Select Jaguar x Type Models | eBay

JgaXkr 12-25-2012 02:55 PM

I may have a throttle body for your car if you are interested.

alfaholic 12-25-2012 08:58 PM

Thanks all. I had hoped that I wouldn't need a computer to complete the repair. I'm traveling without tools and I don't have a garage. A local repair shop said that they could put it on without difficultly, but didn't know if it would have to be programmed.

I paid $525 for this one Brand New Genuine Throttle Body for Jaguar s Type x Type | eBay and $40 overnight freight. $500 seemed cheap compared to the $2000 quoted by the dealer.

We have an S-Type that hasn't had any problems, but it appears that the trottle body is a weak link in the system.

Hopefully UPS will make the delivery Wednesday and I can this solved.

aCapiz 12-26-2012 12:26 AM

I had the same exact problem in my X. It got so bad to the point I couldn't drive it more than a block without my throttle completely cutting out and going into limp home mode, at which point I would try restarting 5 or more times or just push it home.

I was afraid of spending big $$$ on a Throttle Body so I followed this guide to clean the Throttle Position Sensor and the Throttle Body. GUIDE HERE (for an S Type but parts are either same or similar

It was pretty easy and my TPS didnt seem dirty at all but FIXED MY PROBLEM!! It has been 25,000 miles since I did this and has been knock on wood. Worth a try before shelling out big bucks.

alfaholic 01-03-2013 10:35 AM

Thanks for all the help. We got the car repaired and we're now back home. I kept the old throttle body, so I'll clean and keep it as a spare. Thanks for the link.

simplicity2006 01-03-2013 07:19 PM

Do you have a TB for sale? What year of vehicle is it from

alfaholic 01-04-2013 09:45 PM

It's from a 2004. By old I meant bad. I'm going to try and clean it per the instructions and hang on to it.

JgaXkr 01-05-2013 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by simplicity2006 (Post 650344)
Do you have a TB for sale? What year of vehicle is it from

I am pretty sure I have a throttle body, what year is your car?

Bsmokey8 03-04-2014 04:48 AM

I have a 2003 xtype 2.5, it threw a few codes, I was told it was TPS it goes into limp mode and cruise control comes on saying not available etc, so I bought the whole throttle body assembly. Do I have to get reprogramed from jaguar after installing the TB? Please let me know asap, thanks guys

GGG 03-04-2014 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by Bsmokey8 (Post 923624)
...... I bought the whole throttle body assembly. Do I have to get reprogramed from jaguar after installing the TB? ........

Welcome to the forum Bsmokey8,

TB's are a straightforward replacement and don't need dealer programming.

When you get a minute, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see.

In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Thermo 03-04-2014 03:28 PM

Bsmokey8, myself and one other member have been playing with failed throttle bodies. Atleast the ones we have played with, the problem is not the TPS unit, but the control motor for the throttlebody. This is where you will need to make a decision. You have 3 options as I see it. You can spend the $1600 roughly to get a new throttle body from the dealership and install it yourself (very easy to do, 2 plugs, a snap band, 4 bolts, and 2 hoses), you can spend $400 on a rebuilt throttlebody, but now you are going to be without a car for a few days as the throttlebody goes back and forth, or finally you can remove the throttlebody yourself and get into the control motor and tighten up the springs a little bit. If you tear into the throttlebody, you will need a set of pentalobe bits to access the motor.

In short, what is happening is the brushes that feed power to the motor are not providing sufficient contact to maintain the control motor. So, the car sees the throttle as not responding and therefore it assumes it is a TPS issue.

If you want more info, please let me know.

Bsmokey8 03-04-2014 03:54 PM

Thank you for the reply, I am picking up the throttle body assembly tomorrow and I will try it, if I have issues I will contact you. Thank you once again

Cambo 04-16-2014 03:21 AM

Seems like someone has finally made an aftermarket TPS to replace the unavailable Denso 198500-3300

New Jaguar 02 04 x Type Denso Throttle Position Sensor 198500 3300 | eBay

cujet 04-16-2014 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Cambo351 (Post 955676)
Seems like someone has finally made an aftermarket TPS to replace the unavailable Denso 198500-3300

New Jaguar 02 04 x Type Denso Throttle Position Sensor 198500 3300 | eBay

It's about time!!!

John khamis hesar 01-07-2018 07:28 PM

Good question.As you say throttle position sensor then must be part of the throttle . This part is a black color plastic with two screws connected to front head of the throttle body with a large hornes wire .to replace first determinate gas timing line on the housing where upper screw is located or is two fix hole . Then disconnect the horned wire by pull back the red part and push the lock behind the red part ,then pull the Horne’s out .If has timing position you will see a line and screw housin is oval shape to time the sensor .with a pen or scratch on throttle body mark that position ,then replace with new one. Notice first you must disconnect the battery heads in order to after installation computer read the new information .After replacing turn on the car and let run in normal idol 750RPM for at least 1 minute ,then push the pedal and check if change appear .this will be recognize by feeling engine has no hazitatiin a It get gas as you pushing the pedal .Give a test drive and check your RPM during gear shifting If gears are change on 2.7 till 2.9 “under the 3000RPM then engine is operate correctly and problem is fixed.

JagV8 01-08-2018 02:26 AM

Nearly 4 yrs old...

Patterson 06-02-2018 08:44 PM

Are you saying to create a hatch mark along the black plastic body of the old TPS and extend the mark to the aluminum of the TB? This would help you remove and reinstall the same TPS, but how do you clock a new TPS to an old throttle body?

Originally Posted by John khamis hesar (Post 1821402)
This part is a black color plastic with two screws connected to front head of the throttle body with a large hornes wire .to replace first determinate gas timing line on the housing where upper screw is located or is two fix hole . Then disconnect the horned wire by pull back the red part and push the lock behind the red part ,then pull the Horne’s out .If has timing position you will see a line and screw housin is oval shape to time the sensor .with a pen or scratch on throttle body mark that position ,then replace with new one.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...7e84163697.jpg

dwclapp 06-03-2018 06:07 AM

Patterson: Those elongated holes in the TPS are to position it at the proper angle for correct output / signal voltage from the pink and yellow wires. With the ignition key in the run position and engine off, here are the DC voltages specified by Jaguar:

orange / yellow wire: 5 V reference input from the ECM
black / green wire: ground
pink wire: 0.74 V at idle, 3.97 V at full throttle
yellow wire: 1.65 V at idle, 4.20 V at full throttle

As Thermo notes earlier in this thread, sometimes when you suspect a bad TPS, the real issue is worn brushes in the servomotor controlling the throttle plate. Both can cause erratic air / fuel ratio. After installing the TPS to the correct output / signal voltage, it would be good to check the fuel trims at idle and ~2.5K rpm to see if the ECM is adjusting your fuel trims properly.