Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   X-Type ( X400 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/)
-   -   Throttle position sensor (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/throttle-position-sensor-86984/)

Spikepaga 07-31-2018 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Patterson (Post 1936400)
Is the TPS different for 2.5L vs 3.0 L engines?

its only different in the 2005 + models

Patterson 07-31-2018 08:53 PM

A telling question here: Are the throttle bodies the same for the 2.5L and 3.0L?

Dell Gailey 07-31-2018 09:41 PM

I can find difference pre 2004+ and after 2004+ but no difference in engine

dwclapp 07-31-2018 09:48 PM

Yes, the throttle body is the same part # for 2.5L and 3.0L petrol engines according to Jaguar's EPC.

Patterson 08-02-2018 10:25 PM

I'll spare you the recent background antics, but I ended up buying a new throttle body for $280. Looks good on first inspection, but then I noticed something is loose, and I can hear a rattle inside the TB motor that opens the butterfly valve, opposite the TPS. Should I put this in my car and see what happens, or should I return it?

jaguarman01 05-08-2019 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by disguay (Post 645055)
The tps (throttle position sensor) is part of the throttle body and it needs no programming. That means that you can take your bad throttle body and simply replace it (30 minutes by yourself) with a good unit. It's a really easy swap. I've had to take my throttle body off many times.

If it were me doing the repair I would buy a used part, because it's so cheap and it's such an easy part to get at. If you want a new one, they will destroy you on the price unless you buy one of these (just make sure it fits!!!!) 4x43 9F991 AA Throttle Body for Select Jaguar x Type Models | eBay

just wondering if you have had any trouble with misfires or limp mode my x type is currently doing this with only 146K and i need help thats in advance :)

Alfadude 05-08-2019 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by jaguarman01 (Post 2067419)
just wondering if you have had any trouble with misfires or limp mode my x type is currently doing this with only 146K and i need help thats in advance :)

That member has not posted anything in about 5 years, so I don't know if you will get a reply back. For your issue, get the codes read and post them here. That will give you the best way to start getting to the bottom of your issues. Otherwise, you will just be replacing random parts.

Dell Gailey 05-08-2019 02:07 PM

Here being, start a new thread with codes and symptoms :-) :-) :-)

cujet 08-21-2020 02:57 PM

Thought I'd bump this thread for an update. My 2004 2.5L manual transmission X-Type experienced a constant series of problems with the TPS when the car was newer. After a few throttle body changes, I got fed up and cleaned up the TPS myself. It's been working fairly well ever since. The one thing it has problems with is cold start when well below freezing, but once warm, seems to run well. I purchased an Ebay TPS and kept it in the trunk for years. Finally, today I installed it and the thing was useless. Not only could I not adjust it to get any of the voltages correct, but it instantly went into limp home mode, shaking, coughing, 3000RPM limit, etc. Adjusting it made no difference, and upon removal, it was gritchy and sticky. Clearly it was no good.

Put back on the one I fixed up and it runs fine.

cujet 08-27-2020 07:55 AM

Here is that cheap Chinese TPS. Look carefully at the screwdriver indicating the plastic post that should have held on the wipers. They were really inadequate. This thing failed at installation. It never worked. One of the wipers is broken too. The quality was incredibly poor. Don't recall what I paid for it. I may try to purchase another brand...

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...11e7e2d831.jpg

전병택 01-12-2024 09:59 PM

철 지난 답변입니다. 드로틀 바디는 어셈블리 형태로 공급 되는것 같습니다. tps 일부 제품은 이베이. 알리익스프레스 에서 개별 구매가 가능한 걸로 알고있습니다

cujet 01-13-2024 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by 전병택 (Post 2711819)
철 지난 답변입니다. 드로틀 바디는 어셈블리 형태로 공급 되는것 같습니다. tps 일부 제품은 이베이. 알리익스프레스 에서 개별 구매가 가능한 걸로 알고있습니다This is an outdated answer. The throttle body appears to be supplied in assembly form. Some tps products are available on ebay. I understand that individual purchases can be made on AliExpress.

I've tried at least 4 times now to purchase imported TPS sensors. 100% useless.

I have so far, been able to repair my original unit, adjust the position while running, so the idle is correct, and keep driving.