Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   X-Type ( X400 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/)
-   -   Throttle position sensor probs (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/throttle-position-sensor-probs-806/)

12-28-2006 01:50 PM

Throttle position sensor probs

My 2002 X-Type 3 liter has just gone over the manufacturerwarranty and I don't have extended warranty coverage. Last week the vehicle went into limp mode with an indication of a gear box fault. I had it diagnosed by a local dealer and he informed me that faul codes P0121 and P1573 were found and that the throttle position indicatorwas bad. He also informed me the PI was integral with the throttle body so the only remedy available from Jag was to replace the entire assemby. Part cost alone is $1665. I'm looking for a rebuild alternative. Any leads?

I've already tried toget consideration underthe warranty based on earlier complaints about shifting performance, but the dealer and Jag USA will not cover the repair.

Thx

BuckMR2 12-28-2006 03:45 PM

RE: Throttle position sensor probs

If it were mine I would be checking the connector and if thats OK getting aused throttle body from a scrap yard.

X2 Jag 12-29-2006 05:10 AM

Im having the same issue with my 02 2.5. A Jag tech told me the same...that I need to replace the entire TB assembly. I stopped driving the jag because it kept going into Limp mode more often and leave me hi and dry when I need it the most. I had doubts that it was a TB issue but since you are mentioning the same incident now I believe it more.

X2 Jag 01-24-2007 04:36 AM

I know this thread is old but just wanted to post an update on this issue. I replace my TB with a brand new one about a week ago...it resolved the Limp Mode issue.

bojangles 01-24-2007 10:29 AM

Dont ya hate it when the ******* is right? hehe

X2 Jag 01-24-2007 05:22 PM

HA...Id rather they be correct about replacing a part that will resolve my problem..luckily i didn't have to go to a dealer. I found this Jag tech on the outside, he checked my codes and when he told me to replace the TB I wasn't convinced by his expression...so I researched to make sure i was going to dump money on the right part. So im good...except now i have to change the yellow parking light on the drivers side since one of the clips broke off. [&o]

JimC64 01-24-2007 09:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Attachment 200121http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JAGUAR-X-TYPE-...em200069111741

Saw this on Ebay for £19.99

Jim C

aquill1 01-29-2007 08:53 PM

How much did the guy get outta you for the part?

X2 Jag 02-02-2007 03:31 AM

He got $650.[/align]

04-13-2007 01:08 AM

My apologies for not following up on my problem and reporting the solution I found. Got way distracted with other items in my life and with the car now running fine........ lame, I know.

Anyway my story goes something like this. I had the TB pulled by my local mechanic, limited Jag experience but can pull parts and mark wires. I found a TB rebuilder in the San Francisco area and FedEx'd the part to them for diagnostics and replacement, if possible. The rebuilder had never done a Jag TB before, but were game for checking it out. They're gear heads and really like working on the unusual stuff. They offered to look at the TB, diagnose and advise.... for no charge! Going with an unknown entity was a bit of a gamble, but with more than $1600 on the line, I figured it was worth the chance.

They tested the position sensor and checked the TB clearances and throttle play, etc.Found nothing wrong! Cleaned the TB for $40 and sent it back. I had my local mechanic reinstall the TB and hook it up. GULP........ It's run fine since. The whole ordeal cost me under $250 bucks for pulling the TB, cleaning, shipping and reinstallation. Sure beats about 2 grand the "*******" wanted.

I suppose the root problem was either dirt and such in the TB/throttle or a connection problem as suggested by Buck MR2. Either way, the course I took worked, and saved a bundle.

Again, sorry for holding out for so long to give you all the skinny.

Cheers

bigdreams05 04-13-2007 02:51 PM

Thanks for coming back and posting! Most people never come back to share their experience. It took you a while, but thanks a lot. You might save others a lot of money. What's the TB rebuild place's name and number so that others can get in touch with them in the event of the same problem?

racerx82 04-14-2007 12:38 AM

Rebuild the TB....yikes...that's like asking for trouble.....no?

bigdreams05 04-15-2007 04:23 AM

I wouldn't know, but I think it beats buying a new one for 1600 bucks!

racerx82 04-15-2007 05:01 PM

I suppose, but what do they rebuild on it?

bigdreams05 04-16-2007 12:59 PM

I'm guessing something with the throttle. I don't know about the X, but my S doesn't work with a cable like most other cars. Instead it's electronically responsive to the depth that my gas pedal is to the floor.

racerx82 04-16-2007 04:24 PM

Drive by wire...most new cars have the electronic version now....

bigdreams05 04-17-2007 12:04 PM

I meant to say most of the cars I've worked on. Either way, couldn't that part of the throttle body be rebuilt?

altownsend 05-02-2007 02:25 AM

jimmyfrank mentioned his solution and I have a question for him. I have the same problem with my car, 2002 2.5 X-Type Automatic.

Sometimes, the limp mode happens four or five times during a trip to a destination, even on the highway. I checked the wiring and cleaned the throttle body tonight. I will drive tomorrow and see if the lim mode kicks in.

I am sorry but I simply cannot believe that a throttle position sensor problem solution is replacing the entire throttle body. That is crazy. The engineers had to either do that on purpose to sell parts, or they were ignorant. I tell everyone that I come into contact with that this is happening.

Any way, is there a reason that the signal is lost that causes the limp mode? Let's look at that to see if there is a more reasonable/less expensive solution. Comments please.

ivanonavi 12-04-2013 05:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I have the same problem and I was told is my TPS but I haven't replaced it in almost 2 years. In order for me to prevent my car to go on limp mode I always drive with both my feet and yes the car is automatic, when i'm fully stop I keep the RPM between 750-1000 while stepping on the brake with my left foot and if i'm slowing down I step on the brake with my left foot while I keep stepping gently on the gas pedal at the same time. I know I shouldn't do that but it works and going to keep doing it until I fix the problem.

Hope this little trick help someone out there

Originally Posted by altownsend (Post 10533)
jimmyfrank mentioned his solution and I have a question for him. I have the same problem with my car, 2002 2.5 X-Type Automatic.

Sometimes, the limp mode happens four or five times during a trip to a destination, even on the highway. I checked the wiring and cleaned the throttle body tonight. I will drive tomorrow and see if the lim mode kicks in.

I am sorry but I simply cannot believe that a throttle position sensor problem solution is replacing the entire throttle body. That is crazy. The engineers had to either do that on purpose to sell parts, or they were ignorant. I tell everyone that I come into contact with that this is happening.

Any way, is there a reason that the signal is lost that causes the limp mode? Let's look at that to see if there is a more reasonable/less expensive solution. Comments please.

rf69 03-04-2016 03:56 PM

TPS sensor

Originally Posted by ;3050
My 2002 X-Type 3 liter has just gone over the manufacturerwarranty and I don't have extended warranty coverage. Last week the vehicle went into limp mode with an indication of a gear box fault. I had it diagnosed by a local dealer and he informed me that faul codes P0121 and P1573 were found and that the throttle position indicatorwas bad. He also informed me the PI was integral with the throttle body so the only remedy available from Jag was to replace the entire assemby. Part cost alone is $1665. I'm looking for a rebuild alternative. Any leads?

I've already tried toget consideration underthe warranty based on earlier complaints about shifting performance, but the dealer and Jag USA will not cover the repair.

Thx

Check EBay there are a lot of sales from salvage junk yards there that sometimes have used parts from Jaguars , for my 2004 XJ8 I got my used TPS sensor from eBay $39.99 plus shipping $6.00 and also got my Navigation DVD Player to replace the one from the trunk for a used one for $125 free shipping