X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing on a 3.0L X-Type! Is this correct?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 07:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing on a 3.0L X-Type! Is this correct?

Name:  timming-30L-Question.jpg
Views: 15296
Size:  49.0 KB

Last edited by GGG; 08-08-2019 at 06:03 AM. Reason: Edit typo in thread title
Old 01-23-2010, 07:32 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Huntshome, at what point was the picture taken? I say that because when you are assembling the engine, when installing the chain for the even cylinders (right chain in the picture, but referred to as the left chain in the JTIS), you first set the intake cam to the 12 o'clock position and the exhaust cam to the 5 o'clock position with the crankshaft at the 11 o'clock position. Once you install the chain, it has you rotate the engine (clockwise direction only) until the crankshaft marker for the inner crankshaft gear is now at the 3 o'clock position. At this point, you install the other chain (left chain in the picture, but JTIS calls it the right hand chain).

If you want me to get more into detail about what all needs to occur during this, let me know. You need to make sure that the odd cylinder cams are in the correct position prior to rotating the crank else you can cause damage to the engine after assembling the even number cylinder chain.

Last edited by Thermo; 01-23-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Huntshome, at what point was the picture taken? I say that because when you are assembling the engine, when installing the chain for the even cylinders (right chain in the picture, but referred to as the left chain in the JTIS), you first set the intake cam to the 12 o'clock position and the exhaust cam to the 5 o'clock position with the crankshaft at the 12

ok i still dont get this, I was looking in the FAQ's section and i came across the 3.0 rebuilt..(photo was taken from there)

Im trying to put a 3.0L xtype together and i want to get the timming chain correct.. so what is the easyest way to do it? the JTIS is for rocket scientist, ive tried this and i cant get it correct.

Ive looked at many photos on here as well as other postings, there not very clear on what to do, one show'ssomething and the other person shows something else .....

where does the crank key has to be?? at 3 or at 12??( this is for the first chain installed )

Old 01-23-2010, 07:49 PM

Huntshome, at what point was the picture taken? I say that because when you are assembling the engine, when installing the chain for the even cylinders (right chain in the picture, but referred to as the left chain in the JTIS), you first set the intake cam to the 12 o'clock position and the exhaust cam to the 5 o'clock position with the crankshaft at the 11 o'clock position. Once you install the chain, it has you rotate the engine (clockwise direction only) until the crankshaft marker for the inner crankshaft gear is now at the 3 o'clock position. At this point, you install the other chain (left chain in the picture, but JTIS calls it the right hand chain).

If you want me to get more into detail about what all needs to occur during this, let me know. You need to make sure that the odd cylinder cams are in the correct position prior to rotating the crank else you can cause damage to the engine after assembling the even number cylinder chain.
Hey Thermo,any pointer's would help...it seems you have done this before.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:04 PM
Veteran member

Huntshome, I am going to cut out the JTIS confusion and when I say right, I am talking about what you would see when you are looking at the motor with it in front of you as if you are assembling the motor. When I say the intake cam, that is the one towards the center of the engine and the exhaust cam is the one on the outside edge of the motor. Clock positions for the intake/exhaust cam will be referenced to the 12 o'clock position being perpendicular to the block/head joint (so, you will have to rotate your head slightly to look at the gears correctly). The crankshaft will be referenced with the 12 O'clock position being the top of the crankshaft (key groove) pointing straight up with the oil pan surface parallel to the floor.

First, position the motor (with the heads removed preferably) such that the #2 cylinder (nearest cylinder on the right side) is at top dead center (TDC). The crankshaft should have the key in the 11 o'clock position. Now, install the head and position the left exhaust cam to the 12 o'clock position and the left intake cam to the 5 o'clock position. Position the right hand intake gear to the 9 o'clock position and the right exhaust gear to the 2 o'clock position. Install the right timing chain such that the colored keys are located on the timing marks at the 11 o'clock (crankshaft), 9 o'clock (right intake) and 2 o'clock (right exhaust). Install the chain and tensioner as your instructions say. Ensure the slack is on the portion of the chain located near the center of the block. Once tight, verify all marks are where they need to be.

Now, you will need to rotate the motor in the clockwise direction till the crankshaft key way is at the 3 o'clock position (ie, cylinder #1 is now at TDC). Install the outer chain gear sprocket and verify that the left side intake gear is at the 5 o'clock position and the left exhaust valve is at the 12 o'clock position. Now, install the outer chain such that the colored links on the outer chain match up to the marks at the 3 o'clock, 5 o'clock and 12 o'clock marks. Install the tensioner stuff per your directions.

That should have the timing set as you need it to be. If you have more questions, just ask. It isn't that I have done it on this motor, but I have dealt with Ford's way of setting timing and I can look at the diagrams and sort through the hodpodge of information and simplify it so others can understand it.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:21 PM

First, position the motor (with the heads removed preferably) such that the #2 cylinder (nearest cylinder on the right side) is at top dead center (TDC). The crankshaft should have the key in the 11 o'clock position. Now, install the head and position the left exhaust cam to the 12 o'clock position and the left intake cam to the 5 o'clock position. Position the right hand intake gear to the 9 o'clock position and the right exhaust gear to the 2 o'clock position. Install the right timing chain such that the colored keys are located on the timing marks at the 11 o'clock (crankshaft), 9 o'clock (right intake) and 2 o'clock (right exhaust). Install the chain and tensioner as your instructions say. Ensure the slack is on the portion of the chain located near the center of the block. Once tight, verify all marks are where they need to be.
Thermo, how do you get the #2 cylinder and the crank key at 11 o'clock.. its impossible .

my # 2 and # 5 cylinders are at TDC and the crank key is at 3 or 4 o'clock position not at 11? what am i doing wrong here?

Old 01-23-2010, 11:21 PM
Veteran member

Huntshome, take a look on the gear itself for the crankshaft, is there a scribe mark on the gear that is pointing towards the 11 o'clock position? if there isn't, then I would go with the key in the 3 o'clock position and install the chains at that point. Just as a quick check, look at the exhaust and intake valves. They should all be shut for cylinder #2. That will let you know that you have the timing marks for the cam shafts correct.

Another thing I will ask about just to make sure that things don't differ between years, what year is your X-Type. I pulled this info from a 2003 X-Type 3.0L motor. If you have a different year, there may be slight mechanical differences (ie, the location of the keyway in the crank). This is another one of those things that Ford is notorious for doing. They love to tweak things to make them a little bit easier for someone on the assembly line but ends up making it hell for the backyard mechanic to figure out the differences between various years.

Old 05-06-2019, 02:12 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to resurrect old thread but having the same problem, and finding inconclusive answers.
from JTIS thread and haynes manual, right (looking at the engine) inlet camshaft should be at 9 o'clock, and exhaust cam on 2 o'clock, left inlet camshaft should be at 5 o'clock, and exhaust cam on 12 o'clock, this part is simple, so no problem there.
But then we come to crankshaft, keyway should be at 11 o'clock position, and that means that groove for timing should be at 3 o'clock. and if i put chain marks to align with cam and crank marks that means that my yellow link is at 3o'clock not 11 as thermo and FAQ rebuild thread said? and I have pistons 1 & 4 at TDC.

Old 08-08-2019, 04:06 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

After 1500 miles i can confirm that haynes manual is correct with timing instructions.
One year of engine, TC and wiring rebuild, and I'm finally happy with my x.

The following users liked this post:
motorcarman (08-08-2019)