X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tint the Tails?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 10:20 AM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Tint the Tails?

I am thinking about doing something with my tail lights because the gigantic size of the reverse lights always struck me as less than aesthetically ideal.

I have seen X's with blacked out taillights, and liked them, sort of. I also saw someone paint all around the lights.

I'm thinking of doing a dark film cover over the reverse lights like what is shown below, which I mocked up using gaffers tape. For the light on the right I only covered the reverse light, leaving the red around the edge. I like the one on the left better - covered all the way out to the metal. It gives the lights a V configuration, which i kinda like.

Anyone already done this and have photos?

ALso, the trim at the bottom of the bumper is going gray (like me) - and I'm thinking of re-painting it black - sensors and all - anyone done that? Or do I need to cover the little round inner dots?

Attached Thumbnails Tint the Tails?-2014-09-21-mask-tails-3.jpg  
Old 09-21-2014, 03:35 PM
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

As for the tail lights, you could always do the tint on the left and if it's too much then just trim around and make it like the picture on the right.

If you are using regular or black trim paint then you can just paint over the whole thing. It's only when using thick stuff like plasti dip or clear coat that you have to worry about taping up the sensors.

I chose to remove the piece altogether and then use filler primer to fill in the plastic and make it smooth. Then I sanded to make get the smoothest finish and then proceeded to paint it with 3 coats of black and 4 of clear coat and now it looks like an extension of the rear bumper instead of a cheap black plastic.

The following users liked this post:
Five Speed (09-21-2014)
Old 09-21-2014, 05:18 PM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

I decided to have a try at putting on the tint that has been sitting here for 4 years. On the first try I covered the entire rear light including the red part. Since it weas the first time I ever tried doing this, i ended up with some small but noticeable wrinkles around the edge.

After looking at it for a while, I pulled it off and tried again. Its harder than it looks, and I realized one person just doesn't have enough hands to be pulling, heating, spraying, and squeegeeing all at once. Having someone else heating and spraying would have made it a lot faster.

After Pulling it off, I tried again, this time just covering the outer clear part where the reverse lamps are, and it came out a lot better. Not perfect - but pretty good. I figure I'll leave it for a few weeks, and if I still like it, I may take it to a shop down the street and have a professional do it so that its more perfecter.

Then I taped around the gray plastic and put a few coats of black rustoleum spray laquer on it.

Here's the result. I think I like it.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Lower bumper trim / valance turning grey...

Why not try this product or similar......http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...,d.ZGU&cad=rja

I used it on some trim for my daughters vauxhall corsa some time ago and it worked a treat, revitalising back to black.

If desired you can give it a generous coating, then buff off, then re apply.....it works great and lasts for ages

Old 09-21-2014, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

I painted my tails, AND the lower rear valence body color. Worked for my titanium. Took the valence off and popped out the sensors to paint it.

Go with the left side example

Old 09-25-2014, 09:28 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

just use a vinyl tint film. tint all of it, not just the reverse light section.