Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   X-Type ( X400 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/)
-   -   Topping Antifreeze (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/topping-antifreeze-72949/)

maikal_0011 05-09-2012 02:15 AM

Topping Antifreeze

Hi
I wanna apologize for igniting debate about antifreeze.

I barely have any coolant/antifreeze in my car, it's little over the pipe/hose that goes out of white reservoir.

I read all the debates about correct antifreeze, how to flush, the price and all that and but to be honest it made me more confused.

I had it flushed and refilled two years ago.FYI

I have 1 Liter of official jaguar antifreeze left So is it alright to just mix liter of antifreeze + liter of distilled water to top it off? Or Should I flush it and refill? What do you recommended?

Thanks in advance

plums 05-09-2012 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by maikal_0011 (Post 510375)
Hi
I wanna apologize for igniting debate about antifreeze.

I barely have any coolant/antifreeze in my car, it's little over the pipe/hose that goes out of white reservoir.

I read all the debates about correct antifreeze, how to flush, the price and all that and but to be honest it made me more confused.

I had it flushed and refilled two years ago.FYI

I have 1 Liter of official jaguar antifreeze left So is it alright to just mix liter of antifreeze + liter of distilled water to top it off? Or Should I flush it and refill? What do you recommended?

Thanks in advance

No problem. The opening post never starts the debate. It's the followups.

You should be good to go if you just want to top off. Just make sure that the coolant you have is the same as what is in the engine.

Nardoswiss 05-09-2012 12:58 PM

I would say - just add antifreeze and don't bother yourself about mixing with distill water.

maikal_0011 05-15-2012 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by plums (Post 510386)
No problem. The opening post never starts the debate. It's the followups.

You should be good to go if you just want to top off. Just make sure that the coolant you have is the same as what is in the engine.

In case I don't remember, what are the consequences of putting jaguar antifreeze if (hope not) some other brand is in there?

From outside by the color antifreeze looks like pink( I also see some greenish, or i think it's green)

Thanks again

plums 05-15-2012 10:45 PM

It's not the brand you have to worry about. It is the type. And color is not a reliable indicator of type.

The original answer was predicated on your statement that you had antifreeze leftover from the original flush.

There are multiple threads out there debating type and the consequences of mixing, flushing, changing etc. Only the very knowledgable should contemplate changing types of antifreeze because that is an individual assessment.

tarheel72 05-18-2012 09:12 PM

I confess I did not know that was a difference in antifreeze/coolant. I topped off my wife's Lexus RX350 with some Prestone I had. It was green but she had orange in the tank. Did I mess something up? It has been a month or so ago and I haven't noticed any problem. Exactly what is the difference in antifreeze/coolents and what can it damage?