X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transfer case/ Trans oil change question

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 08:03 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Transfer case/ Trans oil change question

I have a new to me 2002 X Type. In the morning when it is cold it makes a funny whine, just one time when taking off.

I have no service records and almost 100 percent sure the PO did almost nothing of preventative maintenance. So yesterday I bought the synthetic gear oil to change the oil in the transfer case. I looked in the "how to" section but the slideshow for the tcase oil change is not available anymore.

So do I just tilt it one way to drain and then the other way to fill and then hurry and put the cap on?

So when I drain the transmission only 3 quarts or so will come out at a time.
Also where is the transmission fluid charging pipe cap at?

I am new to these cars and comfortable working on it but I especially like pictures when I am treading into new territory.

Old 03-05-2016, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by chiefM
I have a new to me 2002 X Type. In the morning when it is cold it makes a funny whine, just one time when taking off.

I have no service records and almost 100 percent sure the PO did almost nothing of preventative maintenance. So yesterday I bought the synthetic gear oil to change the oil in the transfer case. I looked in the "how to" section but the slideshow for the tcase oil change is not available anymore.

So do I just tilt it one way to drain and then the other way to fill and then hurry and put the cap on?

So when I drain the transmission only 3 quarts or so will come out at a time.
Also where is the transmission fluid charging pipe cap at?

I am new to these cars and comfortable working on it but I especially like pictures when I am treading into new territory.
Hi, yes to both questions, and the fill pipe for the trans is under the battery, so the battery needs to be removed first, there is a black round "stopper" style plastic plug which you pull off and push on.
After draining trans just pour in 3 qts and the level will be correct.

Old 03-05-2016, 12:26 PM

Thanks for the response!!!
I am getting ready to work on her after I finish changing the oil in my Lightning. Today is maintenance day on the vehicles!!!

Old 03-05-2016, 03:51 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

chiefM, yes, you have the right idea. If you do some looking, I also have a post out there on how to make your own transfer case drain valve (costs you $10 in parts worst case). Then you can remove the drain plug, install this new valve in its place and then you can run some tubing through the engine bay to refill. Then all you do is shut the valve when done before removing the tube.

Old 03-05-2016, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Thermo
chiefM, yes, you have the right idea. If you do some looking, I also have a post out there on how to make your own transfer case drain valve (costs you $10 in parts worst case). Then you can remove the drain plug, install this new valve in its place and then you can run some tubing through the engine bay to refill. Then all you do is shut the valve when done before removing the tube.
Am i correct in saying, remembering that on my 04 the design is different to your pics which does not have the same clearances and the quick drain cannot be installed?
I vaguely remember looking on my car a couple of years ago when you posted it

Old 03-05-2016, 07:00 PM

I went ahead and gave it a shot, Turns out that it was not as bad as I thought it would be.

The transfer plug a little bit of sludge on the magnet but not that bad. The oil was a little dirty but I was more relieved that there was at least oil in there. I flushed it out and nothing really came out. Filled and now feel better about that at least.

I made a huge mess when I missed the drain pan when I drained the transmission fluid. The oil had a definite brown tint to it. Lowered the car, removed the battery and filled it with 3 qts of fluid.

Crossing my fingers I took her out for a spin, I can not tell you what a huge difference it made in drivability!!!! Sometimes when I let off the throttle it would jerk funny and not really coast, almost like the brakes were being applied.

I am glad I decided to do it. I will do the 3 qt change 2 more times over the next week to get as much new fluid in there as I can. Then I will do the rear axle next.

I had enough daylight left to do a complete buff and wax and now she shines like a new penny. A few broken more things to fix that the previous owner decided not too and she will be just about as good as new.

I am really falling in love with this car, I love the way it looks and I love the the way it drives.

Old 03-05-2016, 08:21 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 389 Posts

Steve..the rear diff uses the same lube the TC does..
You have to be real creative to suck the Differential out...I used a 1/4" copper tubing and bent it to fit to the bottom of the diff and attached a length of plastic aquarium tubing to the end of it to a hand drawn sucker tool..Kind like a huge syringe looking deal...And a hand pump to put the new lube in.

Have fun.

Old 03-05-2016, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by chiefM
I went ahead and gave it a shot, Turns out that it was not as bad as I thought it would be.

The transfer plug a little bit of sludge on the magnet but not that bad. The oil was a little dirty but I was more relieved that there was at least oil in there. I flushed it out and nothing really came out. Filled and now feel better about that at least.

I made a huge mess when I missed the drain pan when I drained the transmission fluid. The oil had a definite brown tint to it. Lowered the car, removed the battery and filled it with 3 qts of fluid.

Crossing my fingers I took her out for a spin, I can not tell you what a huge difference it made in drivability!!!! Sometimes when I let off the throttle it would jerk funny and not really coast, almost like the brakes were being applied.

I am glad I decided to do it. I will do the 3 qt change 2 more times over the next week to get as much new fluid in there as I can. Then I will do the rear axle next.

I had enough daylight left to do a complete buff and wax and now she shines like a new penny. A few broken more things to fix that the previous owner decided not too and she will be just about as good as new.

I am really falling in love with this car, I love the way it looks and I love the the way it drives.
Been a while since i did trans oil, but you said you lowered the car after draining trans oil... I think the car should be level when draining the trans oil

Old 03-05-2016, 10:53 PM
Received 316 Likes on 243 Posts

Also remember that the transfer case on the x type only holds about 600ml......... The output shaft nut is prone to leaking, where the driveshaft connects. If you see oil leaking from this area, have it fixed. Otherwise you'll cutting off your arm and leg to fix it. Just remember to keep an eye on it.

Old 03-06-2016, 02:54 AM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

When I did the fluid change on my V6 auto, I used a pair of long nosed pliers to remove the rubber cap on the gearbox fill port and then fitted a length of tubing with a funnel, this way I could avoid removing the battery and therefore start the engine to run through the gears before checking the level. And being a boat mechanic I found that the oil pump sold by Mercury which fits on the top of 1 lt bottles was perfect for filling the transfer box as it has a flexible tube which easily goes up into the box while allowing you to pump oil from the bottle, it also works for the diff too, and only costs a few pounds.
OUTBOARD - STERNDRIVE GEAR LUBE PUMP: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors OUTBOARD - STERNDRIVE GEAR LUBE PUMP: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

The following users liked this post:
Lcgi (03-16-2016)
Old 03-06-2016, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by iownme
Been a while since i did trans oil, but you said you lowered the car after draining trans oil... I think the car should be level when draining the trans oil
I have a sloped driveway so with the front end off the ground it was basically level. I don't think there is a level spot in my yard.

I did notice some wetness from the driveshaft area so I will have to replace that seal.

Last edited by chiefM; 03-06-2016 at 04:23 AM.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:17 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

iownme, you should still be able to do the drain valve. There isn't a lot of room either way. Things are fairly tight, but you should be able to do it. I seem to remember doing it to one of the newer cars and it all worked out fine. But, you need to make sure that you can make things as short as possible to give yourself as much clearance later as you can.

Old 03-06-2016, 05:53 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Thermo
iownme, you should still be able to do the drain valve. There isn't a lot of room either way. Things are fairly tight, but you should be able to do it. I seem to remember doing it to one of the newer cars and it all worked out fine. But, you need to make sure that you can make things as short as possible to give yourself as much clearance later as you can.
Its supposed to warm up this week so i'll snap a pic

Old 03-06-2016, 06:04 AM

The weather was perfect in North Georgia yesterday and suppose to be even better over the next few days. Extended forcast is rain next weekend. We have had so much rain I should be working on a boat not a Jaguar !!!!

Old 03-09-2016, 10:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,056 Likes on 2,031 Posts

There is still about 200ml of oil left in the transfer case when the oil has drained to the level of the plug. I used some small 1/8 nylon tubing ( common air line for aquariums) on a large vet syringe to suck out the remaining oil.

Then tipped the car to fill and and I was able to get an almost complete fresh batch of oil in the transfer case.