Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tried to change a/c filter now water leaking in from both footwells

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts
Default Tried to change a/c filter now water leaking in from both footwells

Quick question guys, I was getting a small leak on my passanger side footwell, so I loked for the filter and cleaned out a ton of leaves from there and reset the cover until my new filter comes in...now I have wate rleaking on both sides...As far as I can tell I have reset the cover that goes across the windshield correctly...what did I do wrong here?

Old 09-27-2013, 12:39 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Spike, did you pull the filter out? It may be possible that you didn't get the filter back fully into the housing and this is allowing water to build up around the filter and drip straight into the downcomer region of the dash, allowing the water to then get splashed into the footwell area. Granted, this may be somewhat compounded by the fact that the drain for the downcomer area is plugged and not allowing the water to drain away as fast as it should. Or, you can try opening the windows of your car and then spraying a bunch of Lysol down the hole where the filter is blocking. Then after about 5 minutes, fire up the car and let the blower run on full blast until the smell is tolerable. The Lysol should help get rid of anything that is built up, blocking the drain hole.

Old 09-27-2013, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
Spike, did you pull the filter out? It may be possible that you didn't get the filter back fully into the housing and this is allowing water to build up around the filter and drip straight into the downcomer region of the dash, allowing the water to then get splashed into the footwell area. Granted, this may be somewhat compounded by the fact that the drain for the downcomer area is plugged and not allowing the water to drain away as fast as it should. Or, you can try opening the windows of your car and then spraying a bunch of Lysol down the hole where the filter is blocking. Then after about 5 minutes, fire up the car and let the blower run on full blast until the smell is tolerable. The Lysol should help get rid of anything that is built up, blocking the drain hole.
Thermo this is like carwash water getting in, still do the lysol ??

Old 09-27-2013, 05:45 PM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

Lord forgive me.

Attached Thumbnails Tried to change a/c filter now water leaking in from both footwells-lysol-douche2.jpg  
Old 09-28-2013, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Bruce, I guess there would be others that would call you a douche for posting that......however, I'm not one of them.

Hilarious.

Old 09-29-2013, 10:30 AM
Veteran member

Spike, yes. What is happening is the drain line for your car is partially clogged and when a large amount of water comes in, it can't drain it away fast enough. By running the Lysol through, it will kill the muck that is building up there and allow the water to push out the bad stuff.

I have also been known to take my air compressor with a copper tube device that I made and feed it into the A/C system. Then you can put the end of the copper tube on the drain and with a quick blast of air, blow out that drain line. It was a common problem with the 99 MIstubishi Galant that I had.

Old 09-29-2013, 12:09 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo

I have also been known to take my air compressor with a copper tube device that I made and feed it into the A/C system. Then you can put the end of the copper tube on the drain and with a quick blast of air, blow out that drain line. It was a common problem with the 99 MIstubishi Galant that I had.
That is an excellent idea Thermo..Can you post a picture or a diagram to illustrate exactly where the drain tube can be accessed?..I'm sure it will be real helpful to others in the future...

Caution: I was thinking about some bleach and water for killing the sludge and mold..but second thought tells me if any spills on the carpet it would bleach a spot or more..never mind that Idea..

Last edited by DPK; 09-29-2013 at 12:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Wicket (04-09-2019)
Old 09-29-2013, 07:38 PM
Veteran member

DPK, I know the hole is over near the driver's side (US version) and it is down near the bottom. You would have to get in at the passenger foot well area. But, I don't know the intake area all that well to be able to go off the top of my head with where to go in at. I guess you could drop the blower motor and go in there as that would leave you a nice big opening to play with.

As for the tool, all that I used was some 1/4" copper tubing that I bent the last 2" over 90 degrees and then had a straight length of tubing about 15" long with a compression to NPT fitting on the end which just happens to match up to a blow off tool (just a quick release handle that plugs into the end of an air hose so you can blow off the dust and whatnot). From there, you put the tubing on the end of the blow-off tool, feed it into the vent duct (bending the copper tubing as needed to reach where you need) and once you get the end on the opening, you give the blow-off tool a quick push and it will blow the slug of junk out.

I use a modified version of this for the sun roof drain lines. But, in this case, I use a can of compressed air and some masking tape. I tape up the end of the straw so it is slightly bigger than the opening for the drain. Then I pour a little bit of water down the drain line to make a "hammer". I then push the straw up against the drain opening and give a quick squirt. The water slug will get pushed down the tubing and will slam into the clog. This will normally dislodge the clog. You can then give a little bit more of a squirt to blow out the rest of the big chunks. I then normally follow this up with flushing 2 quarts/liters of water through each drain tube to make sure that anything that can get flushed out, is.