Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   X-Type ( X400 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/)
-   -   Update and thanks (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/update-thanks-199162/)

Vic Douse 03-30-2018 07:11 AM

Update and thanks

I have had my current X-Type (2007) for almost a year now. It's my daily driver to work. So put a normal amount of miles on it....about 20 thousand kilometers.

I was a disappointed when I purchased the car that on the 1000 K trip home, the air bag light came on and a familiar whirling sound can from underneath the car.

As this was not my first X-Type was knew many of the issues I would in encounter when buying is used car. After I got home I stared and reading up the issues in the forums and did what most of us, Ask Thermo want he thought.

The familiar whirling was the carrier bearing in the driveshaft. I had it replaced before but Chris told me to just buy a grease gun needle and that there is a place you grease in the boot (Not trunk, rubber protector around bearing, for my British Cousins). It took a couple of applications, but the noise is gone and I do it every time I have the car up on a hoist. Changing tires, oil, etc.

It maybe of interest to other searching forums, that the noise usually occurred under certain conditions.
Gas tank was full(ish), trunk / boot had stuff in it and someone is the back seat. Weight in the rear of must twist the car enough to change the aliment of the drivestaft.

Anyway purchasing a grease gun needle was a very cheap fix! Thank you Thermo.

The second issue of air bag light was solved by reading the forums and asking Thermo questions again.

So, I was getting 16 flashing on starting the car. Air Bag. I bought a code scanner has reads Jag codes, but not the extended information. I posted about code reader in the forums. It returned B2290 code but not the 3 bit information that would exactly point point the error.

All the forums stay it's almost always the Airbag ECU 4x43-14b422-bb module. So I looked under the seat and there were too many wire and too tight for me. So I took it to a repair shop specializing in car electrics. Surprise, Surprise it was the ECU. However he couldn't not order one itself because it now is part of a whole airbag replacement kit. I would have to order a used one online.

So I ordered one from ebay out the the UK. Anyone buy and thing using Global Shipping.....
I got 20 emails regarding the shipping of the parcel, everytime someone stopped to piss, I was notified.

An aside story, I order something, can't remember want from the US lately, I am on the East coast in Canada, it it when through Global Shipping. It was from New Jersey, so it should have got to me in 2 to 4 days. It was like 10 days, because they shipped it to Kentucky, put a it in another box and 2 or 3 more barcodes, and charged me duty. This Global Shipping is way better then to putting a parcel in the mail with my address on it!!!

Anyway the ECU worked, airbag light issue gone.

The only disappointment I had with car was the bluetooth. When I was looking for a new X-Type I had bunch of must haves.

1) Black with Black leather, the wife did not like the cream in the previous model.
2) Heated seats
3) bluetooth
4) Sunroof, I don't know what a moonroof is, I am middle aged man....

So, I got all of those things, excellent.

I listen to Radio Drama, old radio show, podcast whatever you want to call them and stored music I my drive work each day.

The blue tooth does not support streaming in these cars, and the line in adapter seamed to be more work then installing a new head.

So that is what I did.
I will create a separate post that project.

Again thanks to everyone that takes the time to post all the forums, so we call all learn from each other.

Vic

Thermo 03-30-2018 07:18 AM

Vic, a sunroof has glass in it so you can look out it and the sun can come in. A moonroof is a solid piece of metal that will open like a sunroof, but does not allow sun in.

DUNKS 03-30-2018 09:09 AM

Thanks Thermo. I never knew that. I always thought a moonroof was you folk across the water calling a sunroof a different name. "as you do"

Vic Douse 03-30-2018 09:20 AM

LOL, is there nothing Chris doesn't know...
Thanks again
Vic

PS
Oh, I remember what I ordered from New Jersey, it was a new knock of Leaper. The wife and i went to diner and concert with friends a couple of months ago and my friend noticed it was missed when we drop them back at their place.

I ordered and installed the replacemetn, but its not as nice as the original.
However, my folks spend winter in Florida and got back yesterday. Dad has a buddy with a junk yard down there, so be brought me back 2 off them.

I will replace the cheap one some night next week, I will need to get a sticker made up for it first.

Vic

Steve M 03-30-2018 09:20 AM

If it is half glass, half steel it is a partial eclipse roof.
I thought early 'sun roofs' were steel anyway?

Thermo 03-30-2018 01:21 PM

OK all, I guess I have to call BS on myself. Take a look at the following link and it describes the difference. In short, a sunroof is any opening (glass or metal) that can be opened and closed to allow air and/or sun in. Where a moonroof is simply a sunroof that has a decorative panel on the inside of it to block out the sun and hide the visual of the opening.

https://blog.allstate.com/moonroof-v...e-differences/

So, our X-Types have by definition a moonroof since it has a panel that slides in place to "hide" the glass opening.

wa3ra 03-30-2018 02:27 PM

I though you could hang your butt out of the moonroof to taunt passers-by!

That Global Shipment is a plague...except that you can tell just where your item disappeared! 20 days to get some items...if the mailer just pops it in the Royal Mail sig service, it costs less, and I usually have my item in 3 or 4 days, depending on Customs here.

dennis black 03-30-2018 05:18 PM

read this if you want bluetooth streaming

Android upgrade to Jaguar Touchscreen for XJ X350/X358, S-Type and X-Type - HOWTO