X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrade Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 05:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Upgrade Pictures

Although I love my 2004, I am definitely going to upgrade the rims as I think the originals look like stuck on hub caps. I was wondering if anyone had any pictures of any other type of upgrades, cosmetic or not so I can get an idea what can be done to this already beautiful car.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:34 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

You might want to consider not just the rims, but the spokes and center hubs as well. It's easier to change the whole wheel instead of just the rim.

Seriously though, I know Jaguar made a factory rear spoiler. That would be a great add on, easy to install and still retain the lines of the car. Other than that, I don't know what to tell you. It's your car, do as you wish. Everybody has their own ideas as to what looks good or what "needs" doing. Anything is possible, with enough money thrown at it.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts

Rossy......In the thread wheel type is a chart of the factory alloy wheels. Mine are #6, and worked out well, with ceramic coated calipers. I chose red, but the big thing I saw at the Chicago auto show last night were gold and yellow calipers, behind black alloy wheels. I am not much for black wheels or matte paint, but that seems to be the trend at the moment.

On Ebay there is a spoiler lip, that comes painted in your paint code. It only costs $38 I think, and I am going to give it a try. If I don't like it when it comes, I have plenty of tuners around me that might. Other than a real cool burl wood shift knob, I think those are going to be my only changes, at least until tire time comes......Have fun.....Mike

Old 02-21-2015, 09:09 PM
Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

black wheels and flat black paint...

Haha I had to.

Looks killer to me (most important since it is MY car) and to most other folks.

Other mods are h&r springs, bilstein struts and shocks, adjustable upper arms and toe arms. I port matched the upper plenum to the lower, optimized the factory air box and went with a k&n panel filter. Mina Gallery grill update, 8000k HID fog lights and low beams and complete interior lighting led conversion and 35% tint all around.

A custom full exhaust from msds headers back is going in around late March or early June. I need to move soon so it's being pushed back a little.

Attached Thumbnails Upgrade Pictures-img_20150129_093424.jpg   Upgrade Pictures-20140902_201235.jpg   Upgrade Pictures-20140902_200951.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Nickzulu (02-22-2015)
Old 02-21-2015, 09:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

X-TypeMentality, that is gorgeous

Old 02-22-2015, 08:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts
Cool

The black wheels look very nice with your car's colour. I just think they would look like big black holes on my white car. I would paint the calipers for a little contrast, but to each his own. Did you remove or paint the chrome on the bumpers? It looks good monochromatic. Did the port matching help the engine pull better enough to warrant the labor?

How did you optimize the air box? I was going to go with a tuner chrome tube and red elbow out to an air filter inside the wheel well for some cooler air, but Jaguar put the engine in the way on the right side, and the fuse box and battery in the way on the left side. If I used too many elbows, it would disrupt air flow.

I had a thought of removing the rear mufflers on my 07, but after putting a long prybar into the ends, I found out they were probably just resonators, because it went straight through to the inlet pipe.

How much do the springs lower the car? I already have Bilsteins all around.

Let me know how much the headers improve things. I'm in Kalamazoo a few times a year going to the air zoo with my grandsons. They like war planes, and the museum seems to move the displays around a few times a year. Maybe we could get together for lunch? I am putting off taking them to the Air Force museum, because that would be an over nighter, and sleeping with 3 extremely active boys between 10 and 6 doesn't seem to be my idea of fun at the moment, even though our trunks are large enough for them all to fit inside.......Nice cruiser......Be cool......Mike

Old 02-22-2015, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by mrplow58
The black wheels look very nice with your car's colour. I just think they would look like big black holes on my white car. I would paint the calipers for a little contrast, but to each his own. Did you remove or paint the chrome on the bumpers? It looks good monochromatic. Did the port matching help the engine pull better enough to warrant the labor?

How did you optimize the air box? I was going to go with a tuner chrome tube and red elbow out to an air filter inside the wheel well for some cooler air, but Jaguar put the engine in the way on the right side, and the fuse box and battery in the way on the left side. If I used too many elbows, it would disrupt air flow.

I had a thought of removing the rear mufflers on my 07, but after putting a long prybar into the ends, I found out they were probably just resonators, because it went straight through to the inlet pipe.

How much do the springs lower the car? I already have Bilsteins all around.

Let me know how much the headers improve things. I'm in Kalamazoo a few times a year going to the air zoo with my grandsons. They like war planes, and the museum seems to move the displays around a few times a year. Maybe we could get together for lunch? I am putting off taking them to the Air Force museum, because that would be an over nighter, and sleeping with 3 extremely active boys between 10 and 6 doesn't seem to be my idea of fun at the moment, even though our trunks are large enough for them all to fit inside.......Nice cruiser......Be cool......Mike
Jaguar Motor Project: Motor Project # 12 - Deep Breathing Exercise!

That is the optimization link. If you haven't come across this blog in its entirety yet, you should check it out, it is very interesting.

I love the black on white look I think it looks so clean! Yes, I painted the bumper blades body color like the X type sports but I also painted the signal lens as well since in Michigan you only need 1 visible side indicator.

I have the tuner style tubing and filter you are talking about but in my case the filter always ended up pressed against the coils on the front bank no matter what configuration of brackets I came up with lol so I scraped that idea and went back to the factory set up with the optimization. Besides, it's sucking in hot *** air anyways...

The port match wasn't difficult at all and If you like to tinker, it won't be labor, it'll be fun and yes it was worth it, the car is still slow but I feel like I did it a favor by allowing it to breath the way it should. It may have added 5hp but absolutely no way to know for sure. I thought I felt a difference though. You'd have to send the battery to the trunk in order to run a true CAI but that would be very simple and so worth it.

I'm pretty sure the exhaust is going to free the beast And really utilize the port match and intake mod. I'll post up my results when done. The shop doing the work has an awd dyno but I have no idea what it costs to use it. They might just as well be curious to before and after numbers as I am and do it anyways.

The springs lowered the car a little over 1.5" after settling and, I should have clarified that I went with the Bilstein HD dampeners as all x types come with Bilsteins from the factory.

Pm if you're ever in kzoo and I'm available, we could probably do lunch.

Last edited by X-TypeMentality; 02-22-2015 at 09:50 AM.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Rossy
X-TypeMentality, that is gorgeous
Ain't it, though? Haha thank you.

Old 02-23-2015, 03:14 AM
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by X-TypeMentality
black wheels and flat black paint...

Haha I had to.

Looks killer to me (most important since it is MY car) and to most other folks.

Other mods are h&r springs, bilstein struts and shocks, adjustable upper arms and toe arms. I port matched the upper plenum to the lower, optimized the factory air box and went with a k&n panel filter. Mina Gallery grill update, 8000k HID fog lights and low beams and complete interior lighting led conversion and 35% tint all around.

A custom full exhaust from msds headers back is going in around late March or early June. I need to move soon so it's being pushed back a little.
Nice work! Good to see other fellow 02 X Types getting the love and attention they deserve.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:00 PM
Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

My take on the sport model. Just got her back today from the body shop for a small dent. They painted they took all the chrome off the car except the leaper.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by bracester

My take on the sport model. Just got her back today from the body shop for a small dent. They painted they took all the chrome off the car except the leaper.
I like it! I need to paint the chrome window trim black and the chrome on the trunk body color still...

Did you do away with the 20's?

Old 02-24-2015, 06:55 AM
Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

I like it! I need to paint the chrome window trim black and the chrome on the trunk body color still...

Did you do away with the 20's?

Yes I did

I was having wheel well travel issues and did not want to do all the body work to make it stop. Do I miss them? Of Course. Do I miss taking turns and bumps at 8mph, nope.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:27 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bracester

Bracester,

Your X looks Gorgeous! I'm doing a similar paint with my '04. The paint shop I'm talking to said the chrome above each door had to be replaced, rather than removed, painted and reinstalled. Was that your experience?

Old 12-16-2015, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

I recently replaced the left rear window chrome piece on mine. It is very thin and 100% glued down. You pry and it distorts, bends and breaks. Brake cleaner and a scrubbing pad is the only thing that gets the adhesive off of the rubber. The body shop isn't leading you astray. The very rear small piece was about $38.00 from Jagbits.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by avern1
I recently replaced the left rear window chrome piece on mine. It is very thin and 100% glued down. You pry and it distorts, bends and breaks. Brake cleaner and a scrubbing pad is the only thing that gets the adhesive off of the rubber. The body shop isn't leading you astray. The very rear small piece was about $38.00 from Jagbits.
avern1,

Thanks for the info. After he told me they needed replacing he said those four chrome parts would cost me north of $700. I'll check out Jagbits and rethink masking off and painting without removing.

Old 12-17-2015, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by hobbs
avern1,

Thanks for the info. After he told me they needed replacing he said those four chrome parts would cost me north of $700. I'll check out Jagbits and rethink masking off and painting without removing.
Yeah man just mask everything off and do it yourself! A days work and $15 in paint and supplies...

I did mine with plasti dip and it's holding up pretty well but I wish I would have painted them instead.

Here's a teaser pic of my latest upgrade going on currently ❤😈

Old 12-17-2015, 06:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts

Yeah man just mask everything off and do it yourself! A days work and $15 in paint and supplies...

I did mine with plasti dip and it's holding up pretty well but I wish I would have painted them instead.

Oh thats gonna get some replies!
Impressive!

Old 12-18-2015, 09:26 AM

Your car is so bitchin' dude! You did your whole car in Plasti-Dip didn't you? I looked at that option, but came away with the impression it was designed for short term application. it seemed like a lot of money for a short term solution. Is it holding up?

I love the "Red Demon" theme you seem to be exploring. I'm a wee bit more conservative and would probably keep your wheel rims Red and do the Spokes in a different color. Black is obvious, but Lemon Yellow would look cool also, but that would also be a different theme.

Did you finish your headers exhaust? Does the "growl" you get from the Aero's fit the red eyed demon?

Old 12-18-2015, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by hobbs
Your car is so bitchin' dude! You did your whole car in Plasti-Dip didn't you? I looked at that option, but came away with the impression it was designed for short term application. it seemed like a lot of money for a short term solution. Is it holding up?

I love the "Red Demon" theme you seem to be exploring. I'm a wee bit more conservative and would probably keep your wheel rims Red and do the Spokes in a different color. Black is obvious, but Lemon Yellow would look cool also, but that would also be a different theme.

Did you finish your headers exhaust? Does the "growl" you get from the Aero's fit the red eyed demon?
Thanks buddy. The car is still factory quartz metallic color code but I'm actually impressed with the plasti dip, or held up really well on the wheels.

My car is completely torn apart right now and I never did get the headers on yet but they will be used for the turbo project. I only made it as far as 2.5" pipe from flex pipe back to the mufflers. Here's a couple pictures...

When the car goes back together it'll be totally different but still using the same color scheme. New wheels, over fenders, custom splitters and totally aggressive! Lots of things in the works 😆😈

Old 12-18-2015, 08:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Be careful. If those lights are really red in the headlamps you could get a ticket.

Quick Reply: Upgrade Pictures