X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vehicle Stalls when accelerator pressed

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 07:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vehicle Stalls when accelerator pressed

Hey guys. My car bogs down and dies whenever i press the accelerator. Its a 02 X type 3.0

I tried replacing the tps sensor with one from a junkyard along with the APP assembly. Dont really know what else i can do. Please help

Old 09-01-2014, 08:27 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Russia, first off, welcome to the Forums. Lots of good information here and tons of people willing to help you fix your problems and in general talk about Jags. But, we do ask a simple favor of you. We pride ourselves in being a better car group and as part of this, we like to get to know one another. So, please stop by the New Member section and tell us a little bit about yourself and your car. This will also give you a chance to meet those that make this place what it is.

As for your problem. I would first start with measuring the fuel supply pressure (there is a port for you to attach a gauge on top of the motor, to the left side as you are looking at the motor). With the engine running, it should be up around 40 PSI (30-40 PSI is good, but normally runs up near 40 PSI). When you step on the gas, does it stay up near 40 PSI, or does it drop of significantly? If it drops off, then odds are, you are looking at a bad fuel pump. If the pressure remains high as the motor starts to die, then most likely you problem is not fuel related.

The next thing I would do is to get a can of throttle body cleaner (not carb cleaner) and clean the inside of the throttlebody (the silver piece you put the TPS on to). Make sure to get the edge of the butterfly valve disc. Strange things tend to happen when there gets a build up of gunk here. The car may be flooded after doing this, so, if the car doesn't start right off the bat, then depress the gas pedal to the floor and hold it there as you start the car (don't worry, this is a safety feature of the car that it actually turns off the fuel injectors and allows the motor to clear the flooded condition). Once the motor starts to catch, ease off the gas pedal to bring it to idle.

Just to ask the silly question, but is your check engine light on? If so, what codes does the car have stored in the ECU? This may help narrow down where the problem is.

Lets see what you have at this point and then we can take things from here.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you but i realized the 3rd cat was clogged so i unbolted the the exhaust before the cat and it finally stopped stalling. I have to either cut the cat out and put a new one in or just put an exhaust sleeve on in its place.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:45 AM
Veteran member

Sleeve it. Get the few extra ponies out of the car. The 2 that are left will more than meet any emissions testing that you may have to do.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:18 AM
Received 286 Likes on 234 Posts

Thermo: Just curious..... Would a clogged fuel filter also cause the rail pressure to drop significantly when you step on the gas? Since the filter is easier and cheaper to replace than the pump, I'm curious why you flagged potential pump issues without suggesting possible filter issues for Russia797's symptoms? What did I miss?

I learn a lot from your posts, and my 2002 X-Type now runs smoother & reliably as a result - THANKS!

Old 09-02-2014, 01:07 PM
Veteran member

dwclapp, you are correct. But, normally a clogged filter will also relate to a hard start which he never mentioned. Probably should have asked, but I was taking what was given and going from there. Besides, some times I trust my gut and in this case, it was telling me that this was more of a pump problem than a filter problem.

Old 09-02-2014, 01:29 PM
Received 286 Likes on 234 Posts

Thermo: Thanks for clarifying. Gut feel is hard to teach, or capture in a flow diagram. It's intuition grounded in experience. Which is why I leverage your and other veteran's posts. Thanks again for taking the time to share it.