X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wanna listen to my Sirius satallite radio

Old 04-23-2010, 12:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wanna listen to my Sirius satallite radio

So, what's the easiest way to hard wire my sirius into my stock head unit? Don't have the touch screen/nav set up, just the regular H/U and CD player. Don't have a changer in the back either. I haven't had the time to really gut this thing and look for myself, but I will... or, I will ask you fine fellows if it's even feasible before I pull out the hack saw and plasma cutter.

See, this is just what I think, but what do I know... is the CD changer connected with a set of regular old RCA cables, or is there some Euro style new fangled technology that prohibits the simple from making their own mods? I'm guessing the latter but if i'm wrong then that makes it way too easy, but like i said, what do i know???

Old 04-23-2010, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

No RCA's.

Two options without too much work:

1) tape cassette adapter, if your stock unit is so equipped. Sound isn't half bad.

2) Hardline to FM antenna from the sat radio. Connection is behind the console at the back of the radio. You have to yank the radio/hvac unit out, which isn't hard, then connect the Sirius antenna adapter in-line with the FM antenna. The sound is pretty decent although the volume doesn't go up super high.

Do a search if you need help with taking the radio/hvac out - been covered lots.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now, with this tip to hard wire the sirius deck into the head unit antenna, will I still be required to use the FM modulator for my signal??? I know the answer to this question, and that's what i'm trying to get away from. I've got a CD plaer, no tape, and also trying to avoid wires hanging out of the orifices.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Understandable wanting to get away from FM mod, they can bring the suck. I currently have the hardwired FM antenna option and believe it or not, the sound quality itself is very good. The downside as I mentioned is top volume is decreased a bit. I listen to it everyday and don't have a problem with it. And its a quick, cheap solution.

So, to keep the OEM look, you may want to try to find a used tape deck unit instead and go that route to avoid the FM mod. You could permenantly mount the cd cassette adapter into the head unit, and run the wires behind the deck so you don't have wires hanging out.

The OEM unit to the cd changer is fiber optic. There may be a way to hack it but that's beyond me.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:32 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

If you add Jaguar's Audio Connectivity Module, it will give you a pair of RCA jacks that you could use for the Sirius radio - no FM modulator required. And you could have all of this tucked away in the armrest storage bin.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acm

Where is a good place to get this Audio Connectivity Module? Is there a picture of it that I can see somewhere? Also, I'd like to see how it connects inside the vehicle. I would easily pay several hundred dollars for a cleaner connection instead of this hardwired FM modulator. It honestly is better than wireless FM mods but that don't say all that much.

Thanks.

Tony

Old 05-21-2010, 01:31 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

Tony, Dan at Nalley Jaguar sells those ACMs all day long, and forum members get a discount. Go to his vendor page here, he's a great guy to work with. I just read about another member installing his kit from Nalley. Went off w/o a hitch!

Old 05-21-2010, 04:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome, I am going to shoot him a message now. I talked to him before about the phone add-on but that's a much bigger or more expensive of a project for me right now. I don't need the phone connection in the car that badly. The sound from my Satellite radio is definately a greater priority.

Thanks again!