Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   X-Type ( X400 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/)
-   -   Weird behaviour (the car, not me!) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/weird-behaviour-car-not-me-218978/)

davidat19 06-11-2019 04:38 AM

Weird behaviour (the car, not me!)

Hi.
I have a 2006 2.0 diesel sport estate. (UK). Manual 5 speed.
I like it, but a couple of things annoy me:-
When starting, you need to wait with the ignition on and beeping for 2 or 3 seconds before cranking, and keep cranking till it starts...this can take a while...people look round as if they think it won't go. As long as you keep it cranking for what feels like minutes but is probably 10 to 15 seconds, it will go. Then you have to wait till the beeping stops and all the lights go out. Again this seems an age (I will time this!). Cold or hot, no difference.
If you don't do this, it either doesn't start or the heater coil light flashes an it is in limp mode.

Second point.....front passenger door wont let passengers out...no real rhyme or reason, but seems better if the handbrake is on. Beginning to think it belonged to a patient rapist!
Door works from the outside, seems to make no difference wether I have overridden the autolockingon moving off.
Scenario is....SWMBO'd opens the gate (we have three to negotiate), gets in , I drive to next...door wont open...I get out and open the door...repeat.
Yet if I am on my own (frequently at the moment...she is cat sitting...99yr old m-I-law is in hospital) I can reach over when I am stopped and open the bloody door from the inside.

Is it me? OK, I am an old fart now, but I used to deliver these things and was a mechanic in years past.....

and can I disable the autolocking at 5mph?

Ok, that's three points.

Dell Gailey 06-11-2019 12:37 PM

I don't agree with disabling auto lock as it is a massive safety feature in case of an accident, particularly a roll over as documented by firemen's association and NTSB in the U.S. That being said here is the procedure to arm and disarm the feature =

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ure-faq-11858/

As for your door, do a search in this forum on the "clip repair" within the door (under door won't open threads = MANY) that wears out and is the most frequent cause.

It's a DIESEL ENGINE, with a what? Yes heating COIL (glow plug) that fires the engine up. After that there is no "spark" applied to ignite the fuel. As for time/delay, the glow plug is probably in need of replacement.

Diesel internal combustion engine differs from the gasoline powered Otto cycle by using highly compressed hot air to ignite the fuel rather than using a spark plug (compression ignition rather than spark ignition).

In the Diesel engine, only air is initially introduced into the combustion chamber. The air is then compressed with a compression ratio typically between 15:1 and 23:1. This high compression causes the temperature of the air to rise. At about the top of the compression stroke, fuel is injected directly into the compressed air in the combustion chamber. This may be into a (typically toroidal) void in the top of the piston or a pre-chamber depending upon the design of the engine. The fuel injector ensures that the fuel is broken down into small droplets, and that the fuel is distributed evenly. The heat of the compressed air vaporises fuel from the surface of the droplets. The vapour is then ignited by the heat from the compressed air in the combustion chamber, the droplets continue to vaporise from their surfaces and burn, getting smaller, until all the fuel in the droplets has been burnt. Combustion occurs at a substantially constant pressure during the initial part of the power stroke. The start of vaporisation causes a delay before ignition and the characteristic Diesel knocking sound as the vapour reaches ignition temperature and causes an abrupt increase in pressure above the piston (not shown on the P-V indicator diagram). When combustion is complete the combustion gases expand as the piston descends further; the high pressure in the cylinder drives the piston downward, supplying power to the crankshaft.

davidat19 06-11-2019 02:42 PM

Errrr.....thanks for that.

There is no problem with the door latches or physical controls. I thought I had been clear on that. If not, my bad.
I have printed off the link about resetting the auto lock feature.. surprised to see "reverse of the below should work"
Usually, these sequenced commands are just that...i.e. do this to turn it on.
do the same to turn it off.
Indeed this was the case and I have successfully tuned the autolock off, which I agree is distinctly dangerous as I was telling people in the 70;'s when a driving instructor.." Don't lock yourself into a car...it's very dangerous"

So, many thanks for that, it appears to have fixed my query, but I am about to go out looking for a 16 year old hitch hiker to test it on.

As for the second part.....yes, I know the difference between petrol and diesel motors having (as mentioned) been a mechanic, ships engineer, Engineering Under grad (don't ask) , trade plating delivery driver and other trades associated with a variety of transport devices.
Still doesn't answer why there is such a ritual to starting when my Focus was a question of get in, turn the key (unless REALY cold) and drive off. Other diesels have required a wait when cold for the heaters, but the ritual around this seems so unnessacary.
It is also something I never encountered in a variety of new and used, low and high end diesel vehicles from around the same time/age that I was driving frequently on a daily basis at the time.
Hence my question.
Anyway, the disable autolock thing was great. Thank you.

Dell Gailey 06-11-2019 03:07 PM

Obviously, being an American, we don't have the diesels here. As for is your ritual being the norm, I bet an European member will soon chime in with how theirs compares.

I thought the front passenger door won't let people out (even if intermittent) was indicative of the door not opening from the inside, but worked from outside. Thus the suggestion for checking the clip.

davidat19 06-11-2019 03:15 PM

Yeah... I can see what you mean.. I was being a bit over reactive..my apologies. It felt electronic if you see what I mean. Did you really not get diesels over there? Most big American trucks I have seen here in the UK and in Holland have been oil burners.

Alfadude 06-11-2019 03:44 PM

Diesel X-Types in the United States? Hell, they barely sold any gasoline powered ones here, let alone diesels.

Plenty of diesel pickups, not a ton of cars though. Volkwagens, BMW and Mercedes all sell diesles here. Can't really think of anyone else off the top of my head.