X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the average annual maintenance cost on your X-Type

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 09:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What is the average annual maintenance cost on your X-Type

Just curious what every one would say their average yearly maintenance cost is. I spoke to a mechanic and he told me that my 03 X-Type will cost me on average about $2400 a year in maintenance including oil changes and repairs. I think this is way overboard...What do you think?

Old 07-26-2011, 09:54 PM
Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

I think he's wrong. Sure, oil changes are expensive, but if you do them yourself all you're paying for is the oil filter and the oil. Make sure you use synthetic oil too, and remember, Jaguar recommends Castrol. Here's what I used on mine just yesterday actually. Castrol USA - CASTROL EDGE WITH TITANIUM

Old 07-26-2011, 11:06 PM

I've owned my x-type for almost a year now and I've only spent about $900 in maintenance. $600 for new brake pads and rotors on all 4 sides, $80 for oil and oil filter, $30 for new cabin air filter and about $160 for a TC kit and gear oil. I've only driven it about 4k miles though.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:19 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your mechanic is an idiot!!! My X type has not cost that even when looking at it over the last 6 years!!! Guy is a fool.. This sounds similar to the cost of a new XKR I have not had a problem large or small with my 2011.... Doubt I will either.

I will admit I need new battery cables for my X but have not purchased them yet.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:09 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

Loose the transfer case w/o warranty and that price will look cheap.

Routine things should not be that much more expensive than with a more "regular" car. However, the known problem of the transfer case presents a risk that every X-Type owner should be preparing themselves for.

Seems prudent to stash a couple grand away and earn interest (such as it is, now...) so that you have an "endowment" for the foreseeable expensive repairs. However, there really doesn't seem to be many reports of non-TC "expensive" failures (e.g., A/C compressor, alternator, steering rack, power steering pump, fuel pump, radio/NAV-unit, ABS electronics, head gasket). The tranny is somewhat suspect but there really don't seem to be many reports of large numbers of transmission failures, either.

Everything else (tires, brakes, oil changes) can just be paid out the same way as you would with a Toyota.
================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons

The following users liked this post:
phill12345 (07-27-2011)
Old 07-27-2011, 09:34 AM

yes i defiantly feel that he was over anticipating my annual costs.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by phill12345
yes i defiantly feel that he was over anticipating my annual costs.
I bought mine, about 2 years ago, the mechanic was probably averaging it for you. You might end up lucky, or not. To date mine has cost me about 3K in parts, 1K in labour, 2 weeks of car rentals, 300 deductable for a windshield, and a couple of days of lost productivity. Mine had less than 50K on the dial. That's over and above the maintenance I've done, like 3 oil changes, a TC case flush and change.

So I think the mechanic was being conservative. Lets revisit this thread in a year or 2.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:25 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Cool 2003 X-Type Maintenance

Originally Posted by phill12345
Just curious what every one would say their average yearly maintenance cost is. I spoke to a mechanic and he told me that my 03 X-Type will cost me on average about $2400 a year in maintenance including oil changes and repairs. I think this is way overboard...What do you think?
The guy is crazy.

I bought our 2003 in Aug 2007 and since then approximate total maintenance has been $1685.
This includes new tires, rear brake pads (I did this), coolant change (myself), fan control module (used one, did work myself), IMT valve O-rings (replaced myself), replaced coolant return hose off radiator ( myself again), replaced battery (1st thing done after buying Jag), annual oil changes (Castrol Syn + filter K&N) (do this myself also) and some other things but I think this gives a general idea of what's been done over the past 4 years. The only other expense is fuel which of course varies with usage. Right now I'm getting around 18-20mpg city & 28 to 30mpg highway.

Last edited by Green Machine; 07-27-2011 at 09:27 PM.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:13 AM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm coming up on 3 years with my 2004 x-type. When I picked up the car it had a leaky oil pan gasket and I had the dealer I purchased it for replace at no charge to me (~$1000 savings). Other then that I have only had 1 issue that I didn't fix myself that required the dealer to fix. That was a wheel speed sensor. I never did look into how hard it would have been to fix myself but parts and labor was only $300. For the most part all the rest of the maintenance cost has been routine and all done myself. Oil changes (~$25), front brakes pads and rotors ($200), air filter (~$25), cabin filter (~$30), fuel filter ($10), coolant change ($30), brake booster vaccum hose, IMT o-rings, and intake manifold breather hose ($114), new battery ($100), transfer case cooling scoop ($40). That's about all I have had to do that I can think of. I did buy rear pads and rotors but haven't had the time to replace as I know they are a little tricky and require the special tool.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:18 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Green Machine
The guy is crazy.

I bought our 2003 in Aug 2007 and since then approximate total maintenance has been $1685.
This includes new tires, rear brake pads (I did this), coolant change (myself), fan control module (used one, did work myself), IMT valve O-rings (replaced myself), replaced coolant return hose off radiator ( myself again), replaced battery (1st thing done after buying Jag), annual oil changes (Castrol Syn + filter K&N) (do this myself also) and some other things but I think this gives a general idea of what's been done over the past 4 years. The only other expense is fuel which of course varies with usage. Right now I'm getting around 18-20mpg city & 28 to 30mpg highway.
IMO you might have just confirmed that he was correct for the average punter who needs to take it to a Jag tech.

Old 07-30-2011, 05:06 PM

Wow it does look like I might have some heavy costs if I don't do most of the work myself. The car already has had a few parts replaced before my ownership...so that's all I have to look forward to.

Old 07-30-2011, 05:38 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Well I will chime in here. This is an impossible question to answer without a lot of "what ifs". It depends entirely on how old the car is, the milage, how well it has been maintained, how you drive the car, what mechanic you use, if you get used or new parts, and of course luck. For instance I do not think you should factor in brake pads, rotors, a cracked windshield or other things that you have some control over when calculating annual maintenance costs. You are going to replace brake parts eventually but it depends on how hard you drive and how many miles you drive per year. I got my new battery at WalMart, after the OEM one was over 4 years old, even though the dealer said it was fine. I have no intention of using a four year old batter in a Texas summer! I think it was about $70 or so.

If you check you will find that in general people who do not own a Jag will tell you that are broken all the time and cost a fortune to maintain; money pit. If you talk to people that own one, or even look at the reports, the reliability of Jags is actually pretty good over the last few decades. A Jaguar is like a MB, BMW, Lexus or any upscale brand. It will cost more for dealer service than a Ford, Chevy, etc. If you want a car the has a good reputation for reliability and is cheap to maintain, buy a Honda.

If you take care of your X-Type it will cost you no more than the average luxury car to maintain. My Jag dealer charges about $90 for an oil change. That's a bunch, compared to the local Quik Lube. So take it wherever you feel most comfortable. I paid about $700for a 30k service, about average I think for a dealer. There are plenty of independent Jag garages that charge a little less, but I like dealing with my dealer. I establish a relationship, get a fee loaner (Jag) for the day or overnight if needed, and know the work is fully guaranteed. I can tell you if I paid $2400 a year to keep a car running, I think I would buy a new car. I have a 2005 and bought it used in January of 2008. I did not get it from a Jag dealer so I did buy an extended warranty (70000/7 years). It only had 17600 miles when I bought it. So far it has had only one problem. It quit on me once. The engine worked fine but no power to the wheels. It was out of warranty by then (pass 48 months) and I called the extended warranty people and had it towed to the dealer. Took two days to fix but dealer gave me a car to use. The dealer told me (no kidding) that the axle had popped out of some coupling connection. They DID NOT charge me for the repair or the loaner, all I paid for was the $50 tow charge that the dealer had paid to the tow company I used. Now that is good service and really got my loyalty to the dealer. YMMV.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by direng
IMO you might have just confirmed that he was correct for the average punter who needs to take it to a Jag tech.
That was $1685 over four years. Granted he did a lot of the work himself, but even if it was all done at the deler that wouldn't come close to $9600. That mechanic said $2400 a year. I can't imagine an avarage X that had minimum of care and wasn't abused would cost that much on a yearly basis.

Old 07-31-2011, 04:49 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by direng
I think you're wrong. The only thing I had that was out of the ordinary was the fan control module and the IMT O rings. All other was routine maintenance. If you take any car to a dealer to have all maintenance done of course your annual cost will be high, maybe even higher than $2400. What I took from this mechanics quote was that because this was a Jaguar X-Type your expenditures would be extraordinarily high and I don't find this to be the case.

Old 07-31-2011, 05:50 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

My annual works out to:

1. Oil change - $50 at the dealer, once a year
2. TC flush - $200 a year

Apart from that repair costs have included:

1. Front and rear control arms replaced - $600 or so.
2. Brake pads and rotors - $600 or so.
3. Battery - $125 or so.

That's pretty much it. I've owned mine since Aug of 06 and it has around 35K miles on it.

The cost of maintenance is in line with every previous car I've owned.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

'02 3.0 Sport with just north of 120k kms or 75K miles. In 4 years of ownership, average "maintenance" costs per year including new brakes, TC flush, prop shaft, the vacuum leaks, oil changes, etc has been less than $600/yr. KNOCK WOOD, now! I have however, been putting $ aside every year in case of anything major. The "Save Kitty Fund" got large enough to spend it on new wheels, tires, a few mods, etc. Heck, the fund even provided me a new Scotty Cameron putter and a couple weekend get-a-ways. She'll be ten years old soon so I will do a bunch of stuff in the fall (plugs, belts, new coolant, etc) and that will boost up the average but not by much.

Old 05-23-2014, 05:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Resurrecting this thread because I'm a new member interested in buying an 2003 X type and trying to see what I should expect.

If any of these members are still active on this forum, could you please chime in and update your latest issues with your jags?

Old 05-24-2014, 07:59 AM
Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm spending around $1000 a year. This year's big spend was an ABS pump. Last year I had to have the sump gasket replaced. But servicing is just like a Ford. Change the oil regularly and the engine is pretty much bullet proof.
FIND A JAG GUY! Seriously. Find an independent Jag shop. Avoid the dealers unless its a recall.
I'm considering a paint job later this year. Mines a Florida car and consequently the paint on the roof is pretty much gone.