X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what is the difference between the normal average air filter and k&n air filter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 01:31 PM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Question what is the difference between the normal average air filter and k&n air filter?

I would like to know what is the difference between the normal average air filter and k&n air filter?
does the k&n affect the sound of car and the miles per gallon? any affect on engines performance? thanks

Old 07-22-2011, 02:04 PM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Aside from monitary savings, the K&N is jusst a better system..IF you service it as directed. I have K&N in all my cars, and even on my BMW cycle...The specs say better filtration, and slight more power. and discernable sound difference. just my 2 cents...

The following users liked this post:
MCTheDog (08-28-2021)
Old 07-22-2011, 04:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by zibby_uk
I would like to know what is the difference between the normal average air filter and k&n air filter?
does the k&n affect the sound of car and the miles per gallon? any affect on engines performance? thanks
You might hear a slight differnce in the intake sound, a bit throatier, maybe a very slight increase in MPG and HP but nothing you'll notice, the biggest difference is the K&N will last forever, it is cleanable with a kit you but, you oil it as opposed to having a paper element as most filters are. The oil catchesa smaller air borne particles providing better filtration while letting the engine breath better.

MCTheDog (08-28-2021)
Old 07-22-2011, 08:48 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

zibby, just to back up what the others are saying. The K&N filter is not going to give you any major power gains (if you get 1-2 hp gain, that is giving it a lot). As for sound, I can't say that I heard any difference in the intake. Mileage wise, can't say I saw any difference. It is nice because I spent my money one time and now I can have a clean filter as often as I like for just a little bit of my time.

There is a downside to the K&N's in the fact that if you over oil the filter, it can cause havoc on the MAF sensor. But, you follow the directions, you won't have an issue. You can also keep an eye on the intake and it will be obvious if you over oiled the filter (which will require you to reclean the filter and apply less oil) by seeing if there is an oil streak running up the intake. Takes a few minutes to get to the engine side of the airbox, but it is an easy check.

zibby_uk (07-23-2011)
Old 07-22-2011, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 392 Likes on 289 Posts

in my opinion i stay stock ...i dont want any oil on my maf...
it cost a few bucks and it makes me check things out under my hood

dont forget to change you cabin filter

Name:  3232015.jpg
Views: 1100
Size:  110.6 KB

Old 07-22-2011, 10:34 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile Regular filter and K & N filter

I have used K&N filters for 20 more or less on every car I have owned in that period of time and there were many, Audi, Porsche Carrera, BMW, Mercedes Benz, Prelude (early Vtec engine), Porsche 944 and my Jaguar 03 model year. I put a K&N filter in this one, but I am back to the stock filter as the gas mileage sucked with the K&N, something I never ran into before. My mechanic changed plugs PVC valve and hose, Cleaned TB, tested for air or vacuum leaks and nothing unusually came up. When I bought the car in June 2010 it had 23040 miles on it now I have a bit over 2650 miles on it.

As far as the K&N filter I never had a problem with any of them, on the BMW I had it Dinan's with CAI, headers, exhaust, remapping the computer the works and very expensive and the K&N filter stuck out from the bottom of the car and had a waterproof bag over it. Again never a problem. Why people run into problems with the oil is they just use to much. Even after cleaning very little oil is washed off. The cleaner is not meant to remove oil but dirt and particles of junk. It will remove some oil however. You just need to use it sparingly that's all. As far as power, yea you get a bit of extra HP, a nice intake noise, especially with the CAI systems, but the more air you take in the more you have to let out, so without a larger free flow exhaust the gain is not much, but it is there in some cars better than others. My X got a real boost after about a week with the K&N and I haven't notice a lack of extra go since I have taken it out. At one time K&N advertized better HP and fuel economy. I have noticed in their latest ads they dropped fuel economy completely. Tells me something. I haven't noticed any fuel gains with the stock filter yet, but the ECU takes a week or so to get use to the new air flow when you change things like this around. What I need I am sure now is to drive more. But being partially handicapped makes that not a easy think to do. But if you want some extra sound out of your intake a few more ponies, buy it it can't hurt, unless you over oil it. frugal is is the catch word when oiling a cleaned filter. After I re oiled mine I would place it rip side down on a piece of newspaper so any excess oil would drain off overnite.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by dennis black
in my opinion i stay stock ...i don't want any oil on my maf...
it cost a few bucks and it makes me check things out under my hood

don't forget to change you cabin filter

Unbelievable , it's like fallacious magnet