X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what to look for when buying a used X type

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 09:47 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default what to look for when buying a used X type

Looking at a used 2005 X_Type. Low milage. What should I look for in a walk around? Can anyone comment or add to the following list:

- check edge of panels for roughness, which indicates repainted surface
- check door jam stickers, as security feature will show if they have been removed for painting and reapplied
- check edges of doors and hood and check under the side skirts/rocker panel for rust (it spent two years in Michigan)

Anything special to look for on an extended (30 minute) test drive? Interested in Jag quirks, especially this model/year. Any known defects to the car? Thanks guys, hope to be a regular poster soon.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:55 AM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: what to look for when buying a used X type

That's wasa pretty good solid year for the X-type...Also see if you can get a look at all the maintenance records too..

* Does it track well at highway speeds? (no pulling left or right)
* Any vibrations or steering wheel shimmy?
* Wheels for any curb rash?
* Are tires in good shape?
* Spare tire in good shape?
* All doors and latches lock and secure properly?
* all windows raise and lower normally?
* all power seats operate normally?
* All speakers in stereo sound good?
* Look at Brake discs for deep scoring or abnormal blueish color.
* Does it hard brake without pulsating? (warped rotors)
* check to see if Coolant tank is full
* Inspect Oil Dipstick for any foam and or chocolate milk after driving it a few miles.

Hope this helps

Old 01-21-2008, 11:56 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah man on a 2004 and up you should be pretty safe. Also its still under warranty if you said it ahs low mileage. How many miles. How much are you paying for the car, its a 3.0? auto, any options?

Old 01-21-2008, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get the last five of the vin and factoryjagtech can give you some more information! Welcome btw. I say go for any year if the price is right! BTW any pics or info on what your paying for it? Perhaps a link to the dealer your getting it from? What area are you from so we can help possibly find you a better one...

Old 01-21-2008, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

I smella FAQ coming soon lol

Old 01-21-2008, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  T15ESSJAG5.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  6.3 KBName:  X6JYMSAAB5.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  6.1 KBName:  AudiX6JYM-2.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  6.4 KB

Hey tarheel...........tons of good info there from Dennis to get you started mate..
Check the panels for fit ( accident damage )....over here we use the £1 coin as a measure, it should run up n down between the panels without sticking.
Listen out for any whining from the transfer case, although being low mileage all will probably be fine.
As per Dennis check ALL electrics a couple of times to make sure all is good.

On an 05 you should have very few issues as most have long since been ironed out.

Good luck and please keep us informed
Jim

Old 01-21-2008, 12:14 PM

Thanks for all of the tips. Nice to know that2005 is a decent year. I am getting it from Texas Cars Direct, which I am sure all of you are familiar with. Anyone in the Dallas area recommend a good mechanic to give it the once over?

Jim, I do not have a £1 coin handy. Please send me a few so I have a spare. Thanks mate!

Old 01-21-2008, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 432
Views: 430
Views: 428

ORIGINAL: tarheel72
Thanks for all of the tips. Nice to know that2005 is a decent year. I am getting it from Texas Cars Direct, which I am sure all of you are familiar with. Anyone in the Dallas area recommend a good mechanic to give it the once over?
Jim, I do not have a £1 coin handy. Please send me a few so I have a spare. Thanks mate!

Yeah whatever tarheel.........lol Like I havent heard that one before

Anyways.........As this is only your 2nd post I can only assume that you havent intro'd yourself in the new members section. Thats an immediate ban unless you get it sorted straight away with info bout you n your car ( car to be )
Check out the mug shot thread and post a pic too

Cheers and good luck

Jim

Old 01-21-2008, 12:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What to look for when buying a used X-type?????? A HOT 18 YEAR OLD MAN! WHAT ARE YALL THINKING MAN.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:12 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 438
Views: 428
Views: 430

ORIGINAL: jasonzimbran
What to look for when buying a used X-type?????? A HOT 18 YEAR OLD MAN! WHAT ARE YALL THINKING MAN.
Jase me ole mate................whatever floats your boat.........I still love ya, as a friend of course

Jim

Old 01-21-2008, 01:19 PM
ud

Be careful of Texas cars Direct..they buy these cars at wholesale auctions, God only knows what these cars have been through..I had a bad experience with them and they are cash up front and have some pretty wierdcosts you have to go through to get the title..course I'm in Oklahoma, and that may be why the extra title charges...Needless to say, read all the fine print.

Good luck

Old 01-21-2008, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

We have a service shop in Carrollton under the same name, Motorcars, Ltd. Call Mike Ortiz at 972-416-8999. Pre-sale inspection is $75.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey ken your from texas...man we might be moving down that way! Hey ken you guys sell jags as well or no?

Anyone else have any information they'd like to share about texas cars direct?

Old 01-21-2008, 03:41 PM

Yes, I would like to hear more about that bad experience with Texas Cars Direct. I found lots of feedback on them and it was 99% positive, so details would be appreciated.

I ran a Carfax and got the VIN checked with our buddy in Florida, and it looks to be OK. Auctions do not scare me that much, I think most of these are lease returns for the most part anyway, or repeat customers trading up.

Ken, thanks for the heads up, that sounds like a fair price. I will probably be giving Mike a call in a day or two. I hope they are open on Saturdays.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:50 PM

Never mind Ken, I see I have to make it during the week! Thanks

Old 01-21-2008, 03:51 PM
ud

For one thing..It was a sizable deposit to hold the car for a couple of days and it was not refundable..they don't take credit cards for the down payment, it must be cash overnight or a cashiers check/money order overnight and it's first come first serve..They were not to easy to work with or flexible..I was up in Seattle at the time and couldn't swing any monies till I got back and asked them to hold it for one day till I got back to Oklahoma..they said no can do and I missed the sale...Maybe I'm just a little sore about the way they were so rigid..Other than that I know little about their cars or anybody that had experience with them..they are probably a fine place and I just couldn't meet their terms... And Like I said they have a wierd title policy too, dealing witha third party brokerage or some such crap as that..

Old 01-21-2008, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

No, we don't sell cars. My understanding is that Texas Cars Direct deal in cars that have come off lease. I don't really know much about them first hand. I've heard lots of good things.

Dennis, I can understand your frustration. One the other hand, if I held parts for everyone who promised they were coming I could tie up half our inventory. It sucks when good customers get caught in this web.

Tarheel, talk to Mike Ortiz. Maybe he can work something out with them to bring the car or something.... I think Texas Cars is fairly close to the Motorcars shop. I don't typically travel as far north as Dallas. It gets cold up there![sm=yikesomg.gif]

Old 01-21-2008, 06:11 PM

Yeah Ken, it is pretty close. Not sure what the policy is, will find out tomorrow. But I will get it checked out asap. probably stop by to get so hide food from you if nothing else. thanks much for the advice

Old 01-22-2008, 06:23 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just having bought an 02' X-type Sport I would check to make sure you can get whatever service records are available. Check to see if the headlight washers and rear park assist works (if applicable).

Make sure all the features as state before work correctly...A/C too. It was not the first thing on my mind living up near WI border in the winter but I am glad I did check. Look to see if the wheels are equipped with the locking lugnuts security feature and if so make sure there is the proper tool to get the off with the car. Hope the car still has all the owners manuals...I had heard from the dealer I bought my car from that it was a rare find. They are $236 for replacements w/ the green leather case.
Might want to scan the message center in dash for any codes. IIRC hold the trip button on stalk while turning ignition on.
Hope this helps!
Good luck with the purchase!!

Old 01-22-2008, 07:20 AM

Thanks Chas, good advice. I will check the codes, assumng I can find that button!

Quick Reply: what to look for when buying a used X type