Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What should I check?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 04:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What should I check?

Hello,
I have a 2007 X-type 3.0 AWD. It has been running fine, until today. The other day, I washed the engine. No pressure washer, just with the regular hose with low power. I have not driven the car since I washed it. Today, I started it up and noticed it was running rough. As I started driving, the check engine light came on. The car misfires on acceleration and idles rough. The check engine light also flashes when driving (not while stopped). I scanned the codes, and 3 codes came up...P1316, P0303, and P1313. They are all related, having to do with misfire cylinder 3. If I really have to, I will spend the day taking the intake off to get at the rear of the engine and replace the coil.

Is there anything I should check first? It just seems like too much of a coincidence that the problem started after washing the engine, and it ran perfect before. Thanks for any input and advice!

Old 11-29-2014, 07:35 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

pdfisherman, first off, welcome to the Forums. Lots of good information here to access. But, please stop by the New Member Section and give us a quick intro about yourself and your car. We pride ourselves in being a better car group and as part of this, we like to get to know one another. This will also give you a chance to meet those that make this place what it is.

As for your problem. From what you are describing, your problem lies with cylinder #3. I would say to first start with accessing the #3 spark plug (middle cylinder along the firewall) and I bet you will find that there is either a bunch of water in there or a mixture of oil and water. Dry out the cylinder and odds are, you will find that your problem will go away. Since you are in there, swap the #3 coil with the one for cylinder #2 ( near the engine, behind the passenger headlight, you can reach this one without having to rip anything off of the engine). That way, if the problem moves over to cylinder #2, you can easily replace the coil in the future.

You can try letting the car idle and come up to temp and let the water evaporate away. But, hard to say how long that may take. Driving with the check engine light flashing is not good as this is telling you that conditions are such that damage to the catalytic converter can happen.

The following users liked this post:
Thang Nguyen (08-27-2016)
Old 11-30-2014, 03:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Thermo. I will definitely go over to the new members section and introduce myself. Thanks for the info. I let the car warm up and idle for a while, then parked it in the sun with the hood open all day. I just went start it and the same problem is there. I will have to wait for another warm day soon so I can work on the car. I will take to top intake off and replace the coil to see if that helps. I'll keep you updated.