X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whoa Be Unto Me...

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 03:20 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Whoa Be Unto Me...

Haven't posted for a while which is a good thing, right? Gonna make up for my absence...

Month ago I got an engine light then the ABS light. Pulled the codes and it said LR speed sensor. A few weeks later there's a noise from the same wheel.

Brought it to my guy and got the following:

LR axle NG
RR axle NG
LR lower control arm NG
RR lower control arm NG
Both speed sensors (L&R) NG

Evidently, both sensor rings are rotted off the CV joints. Not really surprised at that or that the arms are toast. I had an issue with my last tires only going 18K on the rear. That would explain the wear. Guy said he didn't want to do the work (sparkle factor?) and kind of hinted that the car was done.

Thing is, it's a 2004 3.0 X-Type that just rolled 80,000 miles. I like the car, hate to think of dumping big $ into it. The resale, even w/o these issues in minimal. With them it's much less.

I'm not an idiot on a wrench and 10 years ago I'd have not thought twice just to do this work myself. Not sure what to do now. I guess my big question is how hard is it to just do the outer CV's (separating them from the axle)? Not too worried about the control arms as if I have it that far apart, they're right there.

Any thoughts? I'm perplexed.

Dave

Old 11-05-2015, 04:13 PM
Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

I assume you drive it in the winter, is the body rotted? Do you enjoy driving it? If you answered no and yes then the next question you have to answer is; is the cost worth it to you to fix it and keep driving it? When I buy a car and it starts to need some of the more costly maintenance items done the first thing I figure out is how much, and do I enjoy the car enough that I want to keep it for some years to come. I dont give much thought about resale value, since 90% of cars are not going to be an investment. Eventually after a majority of maintenance items have been done, you practically have a new car as far as drivability. I've put so much money into my X and I know I'll never get it back, but by the time I'm over 200k miles I'll have a practically new X type, ready for another 200k miles.

Old 11-05-2015, 04:58 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

You can do it. Plenty of room to work back there and minimal complications.

Old 11-07-2015, 01:33 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Mine has over 150K on the odometer, with lots of work needing to be done, but I like the car so much I just keep trucking along replacing everything (oh, and for the rest of you, once I get to the bottom of my "clattering", I'll update my thread, it's not abandoned). Eventually, it'll be a new car, so current resale value means nothing to me.

If all I had left to do was axles, speed sensors and control arms I'd be ecstatic.
This car is easy enough to work on in general that I wouldn't hesitate to do what you have to do.

If we all let resale value determine the repairs we made, these cars would all be in the junk-yard right now. But they're too damn likeable. I'm keeping mine!

Old 11-07-2015, 08:18 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you all for your ideas and input. Maybe the initial shock of hearing the diagnosis threw me but after reading your thoughts I've decided to put on my Big Girl Panties and get to work on this thing.

If the X had 180k on it and was a rustbucket, I may have thought different but it doesn't and isn't. I do have a rust spot on the LR wheel well but was planning to address that in the spring anyway. Looks like used axles are fairly available locally so that I can see them before buying them. Control arms are reasonable, sensors may be OK but even if not the price isn't too bad for new ones. I'll likely put shocks in as well if I do have it all apart anyway.

Thanks again for the reality check and giving me at least a direction to go. I actually love the car and am comfortable with it.

Now I'll need to find a 55 gal drum of penetrating oil!

Thanks, Dave