Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-type climate control not cooling at all

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 09:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default X-type climate control not cooling at all

Hi!

I'm currently experiencing trouble with the climate control in my '02 X-type. The climate control is not cooling at all, instead blowing warm air into my face which isn't really what I'd like it to do.

The system has been recharged (with tracer, no visible leaks and pressurization testing gave no problem as well) so that shouldn't be a problem. The airco pump does not turn on, even though the engine RPM seems to fluctuate a little when I press the A/C button.

I've scanned for DTCs in the climate control and one code came up: B2308. The A/C fuse is fine so my final suspicion lies on the air discharge temperature sensor (according to http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto...Electrical.pdf) located in the passenger footwell.

This manual doens't show a part number for that sensor though, so I'm not really able to find it... Does anyone have a part number for me? Or am I overlooking something?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Bas

Old 05-21-2018, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

If you have had gauges on it and it is charged with no leaks. I would look at the system low pressure switch. You said the compressor doesn't engage. It could be bad fuse or relay to the compressor clutch. The low pressure switch is located behind the wheel arch cover on the right side of the vehicle.

First check fuse #23 in the engine compartment fuse box. That fuse is for the AC clutch. The swap out relay R5 windshield washers for Relay 6 AC compressor.

Attached Thumbnails X-type climate control not cooling at all-ac-relay.jpg  
Old 05-21-2018, 01:26 PM

Thanks for your ideas, it is greatly appreciated!

After letting the car cool down for a couple of hours this afternoon, I got back into the car and the AC turned on almost immediately and became very cold (on the lowest setting possible). I took the car for a short drive, and after about 5 minutes the system began blowing in warmer and warmer air, to the point where the air would be warmer than the outside air (so over 23 degrees celsius). After turning the system off for about 5 minutes, I could then turn it on again only to observe the same behavior as before, but now after about 3.5 minutes. Turning the system off once more, I was unable to get the AC working again. I'm almost certain that if I try again in an hour or so, the AC will turn on for a couple of minutes again.

This leads me to believe that it might be something related to engine(bay) temperature instead of a sensor. I got out the diagnosis-tool and the sensor that I suspected earlier seems to report a sane value. The relay you pointed out gets really, really hot, almost too hot to touch even... Is that normal?

I'm not sure how the low pressure switch fits in to this behavior, as the AC will function normally for about 5 minutes (it gets absolutely freezin' very fast), but should I still check it out?

Old 05-21-2018, 01:33 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

TSBs are your friend.

bob

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
JTB00183NAS1[1].pdf (142.3 KB, 258 views)
The following users liked this post:
MeatBag (06-19-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 02:09 PM

If I read that TSB correctly, you'll have to remove the compressor valve, then the valve spring and reassemble in the reverse order (reinstall the valve, then the valve spring)? Or am I missing something about a modified valve spring or something? In other words: are there additional parts I'd need to order (besides a new O-ring)?

I greatly appreciate your help so far!

Old 05-21-2018, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

Yup you got it, reverse, no other parts than o-ring.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:33 AM

Thanks! The O-ring has been ordered and should arrive in a couple of days, I can only hope to have it before the weekend... I've also got access to a airco service machine so that should fix everything, fingers crossed. I'lll give another update when the fix has been applied.

Old 06-02-2018, 03:44 AM

Well, I've applied JTB00183 today but to no avail, as the airco pump shows exactly the same behavior as before, running for about 5 minutes and then turning off completely. I cleared the DTC's last time, but the car gave the same 'B2308 - In car temperature sensor inlet motor failure' DTC again... Is there something I can try to fix this, would it help to replace the air discharge temperature sensor (and if so, has anyone got a part number for that)?

Old 06-02-2018, 04:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

It says it's a motor failure. Have I missed what you've done to fix/replace the motor?

Old 06-02-2018, 04:12 AM

I've done nothing to any motor, just swapped the valve and spring in the compressor as described in the JTB00183 posted earlier. I'm not sure what motor it is referring to...

Old 06-02-2018, 06:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Go hunting through the a/c-related parts of workshop manual etc - free to download.

Failing that take it to a competent tech.

Old 06-02-2018, 07:35 AM

I've chased down most parts of the A/C system and it is working for 5 minutes, but shuts down after that. We're somewhat out of options to research as the problem seems to be something related to control electronics/sensors, so I hope that someone here has a lead as the primary a/c system with lines and pump do function, albeit for just 5 minutes.

Old 06-02-2018, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

Maybe? Tyco A1301-X17

Old 06-03-2018, 01:16 AM

Is the relay still a suspect? I've switched out with the screenwasher and horn relay but to no avail...

Old 06-03-2018, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member

You stated in one of your posts that the relay gets to hot to touch. That condition would indicate a short causing the relay to draw excess amperage. If you let everything cool and then start it and get cold air and if you watch it when it goes to warm air you will find the compressor clutch is no longer engaged. I would suspect the short to ground is in the A/C clutch and you will probably need a new compressor.

Old 06-03-2018, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member

One additional thought is check the wiring very carefully for damage to the insulation. Check very carefully where the wire is adjacent to any rotating parts.

Old 06-06-2018, 11:26 AM

Well thanks once more for the support. I've bitten the bullet and had a new pump fitted, which solved my problem so my system is fully functional once more.

Old 06-06-2018, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,906 Likes on 1,661 Posts

When you say new pump did you mean compressor or have I missed something?
Mine does exactly the same.

Old 06-06-2018, 11:55 AM

I mean a new compressor indeed.

The following users liked this post:
Steve M (06-06-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 07:06 PM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

The A/C in my 2006 X-Type with 15,000 miles was blowing cool - but not cold - and it wasn't able to keep up when the temperature outside got into the 80's (f).

I was thinking of recharging the AC myself using one of those kits they sell at the auto parts stores, but after reading up on them it seems that about a third of those go wrong and blow up the clutch on your compressor due to cheap gauges on the canisters overcharging the system. It happened to a guy I work with. I decided not to take any chances with it it since i didn't want to have to replace the compressor too.

Then I came across Dell Gailey's post on this forum pointing to Motorcarman's entry in this thread - with the TSB about reversing the valve/spring in the compressor. I printed that bulletin out and I had my independent mechanic do it, and it worked like a charm. That is a pretty odd "fix" - reversing the two parts. But it worked - Nice cold AC again.

Never would have found that TSB on my own - this forum is awesome. Thanks guys.

Last edited by MeatBag; 06-19-2018 at 07:13 PM.

Quick Reply: X-type climate control not cooling at all