Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   X-Type ( X400 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/)
-   -   X-Type electrical problems - Any help with troubleshooting greatfully recieved! (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x-type-x400-14/x-type-electrical-problems-any-help-troubleshooting-greatfully-recieved-212214/)

Crazy88 12-29-2018 08:18 AM

X-Type electrical problems - Any help with troubleshooting greatfully recieved!

Hi folks,
So I'm left scratching my head and wondering where to go next with troubleshooting a number of electrical faults on my 04 x-type 2.0 diesel with 5 speed manual transmission. A couple of days ago the LCD heater and a/c panel started intermittently failing to switch on and then yesterday packed up completely. After some initial fault finding I have discovered that the brake lights, reversing lights, rear fog lights and parking sensors have all stopped working too. I've checked every fuse, cleaned the multiplug connectors with contact cleaner, disconnected and reconnected the battery and scanned the OBD port with a generic scanner for fault codes to no avail.
So would any kind member of the forum have been in the same unfortunately position and found the root cause of these electrical gremlins or perhaps could suggest what I could try next to find what's causing the issues please?
Thanks in advance!

Steve M 12-29-2018 10:45 AM

Check as many earth points as you can find.
I have heard of a hot (or cold, can't remember!) reset whereby you disconnect the positive lead from the battery and clamp it to the negative lead for half an hour.
Realigns the chakras or something similar.
There was a post on the X300 forum whereby some weird electronic mishaps (all instrument lights flashing etc.) were eventually traced to a failing coil on plug.

Crazy88 12-29-2018 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Steve M (Post 2006592)
Check as many earth points as you can find.
I have heard of a hot (or cold, can't remember!) reset whereby you disconnect the positive lead from the battery and clamp it to the negative lead for half an hour.
Realigns the chakras or something similar.
There was a post on the X300 forum whereby some weird electronic mishaps (all instrument lights flashing etc.) were eventually traced to a failing coil on plug.

Cheers Steve I'll give that a go, would be interested to know how to trace earthing points as I'm guessing there's a fair few around the car some easier to find than others!

Forgot to mention earlier the 12v socket in the front is also no longer feeding power but the lamp to illuminate is still working!?!

Steve M 12-29-2018 01:57 PM

I think it's been haunted!
Have you considered a séance?
I think that your first move is to put a new battery on it; if it is not quite up to par then all sorts of gremlins will appear.
The more modern the car, the bigger and uglier are the gremlins that will appear if the battery is not 100%.

JagV8 12-31-2018 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Crazy88 (Post 2006596)
Cheers Steve I'll give that a go, would be interested to know how to trace earthing points as I'm guessing there's a fair few around the car some easier to find than others!

I've found details in the electrical guide if you look carefully.