XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Anyone Tinted the XE?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 04:42 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Anyone Tinted the XE?

So a question to any of you who tinted their XE, did you guys have any issues with bubbles and small particles getting stuck in them? I had my car tinted on Friday and found that there was a number of bubbles and it seemed like they had little particles of dust stuck in them. Took the car back today and they tried 3 times and each time more of this stuff pops up. They think its the felt material that is next to windows on the inside and it makes sense. They decided to take it off and refund my money as it did not look good. This is a high end shop that is very highly recommended in this area so not sure it's their fault or just how these XE are designed. Do you guys notice the same problem?

Old 05-01-2017, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

No problem with ours, but we had the dealer do it

Old 05-01-2017, 04:52 PM

My dealer does not do tinting, I asked in the early stages. Does your car have the same felt material around windows? I am thinking maybe R Sport has a different design.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member

I'll have a look tonight and let you know. It is my missus' car. I hope I dont see specs in the tint and then obsess about it!

Old 05-02-2017, 08:05 AM
Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Had mine tinted in ceramic aftermarket, no problems here. All the XE's have the felt surrounds on the windows. But the guys I use in Austin have been tinting for decades.

Could be due to the inexperience of the installer with this car.

Best recommendation...take it back to the dealer and have them install the tint.

They will charge you more, but the dealer's installers have done Jaguar's before and know how to remove the door panel a little while installing.

(Most dealers farm out the tint jobs, but only after they are confident the tinter knows their cars. Dealers also don't accept bubbles.)

On ANY tint job you need to wait several days for the film to adhere 100 Pct to the glass, and many of these tiny bubbles will disappear when fully cured. Sometimes this takes days, especially in humid conditions.

Parking the car in the sun instead of in the shade during the day will help the cure.

Last piece of advice...it's difficult as hell to get the inside of your windows 100pct clean after a bad tint job...If it was mine I'd get a full bottle of 90 Pct Isopropyl Alcohol and a fist full of new or very clean microfiber towels and go oven the inside of each window like you were sterilizing for surgery, JUST before taking it in for the re-do.

As the owner you will always do a better job cleaning...some tinters know tint can "cover up" streaks...unless you look really carefully, and might be inclined to cut corners there.

Last edited by Austin7; 05-02-2017 at 08:16 AM.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

If the installer is certified for the brands they install (would only use ceramic tint on my car), they own the bubbles and have to fix it for free.

Look up the film brands you want to use and see who is authorized in your locale.

Old 05-02-2017, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts

What shop was this? I know al the local shops here i the area and mine came out fine. For cars with the felt they just use blue painters tape first and then tint the car and remove the tape when done. My XE came out almost perfect and I got all the windows done.

Find a new shop and get it done right and you will be happy. But, please let them know up front that you are picky and want it perfect to avoid another disappointment

Old 05-02-2017, 02:46 PM

The shop is EuroTech Motorsports, they come very highly recommended and parking is full of very expensive cars like lambos, mercs, aston martins. I had two other shops tell me they would go there with their car. I also found a scratch on my window after the tint (they are saying it was there and have pic prior to tint, but they could very easily have taken the pic before applying tint). They suggested against using ceramic/carbon as only benefit is heat protection (I have no need for this) and the cost is a lot higher. He told me the brand ( I think express film?) and from research it looked like a good one to me.
As I have said my dealer does not do tints @Austin, I guess I could go to a different one but driving long distance for a tint might not be an option.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
If the installer is certified for the brands they install (would only use ceramic tint on my car), they own the bubbles and have to fix it for free.

Look up the film brands you want to use and see who is authorized in your locale.
the problem was not bubbles per say, it was lint (probably from the felt) getting stuck in there. They tried the tint 3 times and said each time it got worse.

Old 05-02-2017, 03:02 PM
Veteran Member

I just looked at ours. The felt has a very low "pile", it actually feels like rubber and not really like felt at all, more like neoprene. Maybe that is an R sport thing? I gave it a rub (the felt stuff) and no lint came off in my finger. There were no bubbles.

I'd ask the dealer where they get it done. It usually costs more through the dealer's guys, but only by a couple of hundred which is worth it to save the stuffing around.

Old 05-02-2017, 03:09 PM

As I mentioned already, the dealer told me they do not do tinting or use anyone. They said on rare occasions customers use their own guys who come on the lot to do it while car is in service.

Old 05-02-2017, 03:10 PM

These guys charged 300 for the tint, to be honest if I were to pay a couple hundred more then I am ok without a tint

Old 05-02-2017, 03:51 PM

I emailed them to ask for the film and it was express films.... he said they did try the tape on the felt....

Old 05-03-2017, 04:56 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my tint done by a friend of the guy who details my cars for less than $200 and they came out perfect. I sat there and watched the whole process and Like BigCat 09 said the guy that did mine also used the blue painters tape to mask off the felt. It sounds like you just got an installer without enough experience or patience.

Old 05-03-2017, 05:01 PM

Coffee, looks like you are in NY, you think he would do mine if I came by somewhere near his location ? and finally where more or less would that be?

Old 05-03-2017, 05:03 PM

RaffiNJ you mentioned there was a scratch on one of your windows. That wouldn't happen to be on the left side rear passenger window would it? Only reason I ask is that's where I found one on mine while the tint was being done. I assumed that the dealer probably did it when they removed the vehicle sticker. Fortunately once the tint was on it wasn't as noticeable.

Old 05-03-2017, 05:11 PM

I had it done in Holbrook NY. Thats where my detailers garage is located but I can check with the tinter and see if he has anywhere more west of that location for you.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:09 PM

wow that is kind of far may not make much sense to travel for a tint job. The scratch was on the front passenger side. It was not there previously, I am almost certain they scratched it. It started right at the top of the window down about 2 inches, perfectly straight line (making me think something was stuck in the window).