XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

Icing Inside

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
The only other thing I can think of is there is a lot of water in the cabin from a leak. As the car warms up it evaporates and then condenses on the windows.

You seem to have a rare problem as nobody else has posted on this as far as I know.
I have an appointment scheduled with the local dealer on Dec 29th; that was their first open slot. They call me this morning to say they won't have a loaner car on that date and their first slot is Jan 15th. Wow, so much for buying a "luxury brand". Any time I had a Honda in for service I got a car no problem. The service writer said this will be a one day service. Not so confident on that one. I suspect there is a problem like water leak or something else. The ice just build on the all the side windows in no time and I have never seen the rear passenger windows actually free of frost in cold weather. The NAV screen says what the reciruclation mode is set to and we've tried every HVAC setting. Even Max defrost barely works and does not clear the front side windows at all. If I did not have lane assist, I would be hesitant to ever change lanes!

Old 12-18-2017, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by booklaw1
This may seem counterintuitive, but keeping the AC operating during winter months also helps to prevent moisture on the inside of the windshield.
I leave the AC on all the time.

Old 12-25-2017, 08:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please keep us in the know moses.

This is my first winter in the car and for me I haven’t been impressed with how long it takes the back window to defrost compared to other cars owned. That being said, 20 degrees isn’t that cold, especially for a car designed and tested in England. I could maybe see one of those record breaking -30 North Dakota winter nights, but this has to be something not working properly.

Did you get a chance to take screen shots of the windshields when you were having issues? I would document everything like climate control settings and what not. I would be worried that will just turn in the heater, feel the windshield and declare “ops check good”. Clearly there is something going on.

Old 12-25-2017, 09:14 PM
Veteran Member

@guppydriver - Did not get any pictures of what the windows look like when cold. We have never seen the rear passenger windows remotely clear below freezing and only max defrost works get the front windows clear and it's barely at that. Had better max defrost on cars made in the 80's.

I don't want to get into details yet, but this issue and thread has the eyes of JLR. Will certainly update as I get them.

The right rear passenger seat buckle not locking is another big issue. I pulled the bottom cushion to make sure no buckles were hidden.

Old 12-27-2017, 04:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 196 Posts

I am told that the new Range Rover Velar has the same issue. It has to do with a blend flap not operataing properly. The fix is going to involve a software update. As of right now it is not available.

Old 12-27-2017, 08:01 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JgaXkr
I am told that the new Range Rover Velar has the same issue. It has to do with a blend flap not operataing properly. The fix is going to involve a software update. As of right now it is not available.
My better half is not loving the XE right now. She says it has to stay on max defrost the whole time to get relatively clear. That means no stereo and freezing feet. Will be interesting to hear the dealer's response.

I really want to know what's up with the seat belt not working. Now she is getting messages mid drive on the AEB and high beam sensor blocked. Comes on randomly.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member

Here is what an hour of max defrost constantly running looks like inside. Back windows are completed iced out. Keep in mind this car is garage stored, so there was no frost when leaving this morning. She had to roll down the front windows a few times in addition to max defrost to help with the frost in the front.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:17 AM
KC-
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Here is what an hour of max defrost constantly running looks like inside. Back windows are completed iced out. Keep in mind this car is garage stored, so there was no frost when leaving this morning. She had to roll down the front windows a few times in addition to max defrost to help with the frost in the front.

Wow crazy. We have had very cold weather here in Chicago, and my car has been in the garage and also kept outside a couple days, never saw any frost buildup at all actually. I don't have the AC on, I have the heat on right before Hi, with it coming out on all areas and no air recirculation.
The only thing I noticed was the back window doesn't clean out fully, but that's because there is no rear wiper like in my GTI

Anyways I also noticed the car does not get super hot either, but it was -22C outside as the car was registering, so I didn't blame it.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:21 AM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Holy crap man, that's awful. Wow! I've been running around here in WI the past week with temps below 0 and it's been good. Long trips, short trips, from the garage or from sitting outside, so quite a number of scenarios with nothing at all like what you have here.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:22 AM
KC-
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by carpenter75
Holy crap man, that's awful. Wow! I've been running around here in WI the past week with temps below 0 and it's been good. Long trips, short trips, from the garage or from sitting outside, so quite a number of scenarios with nothing at all like what you have here.
Same here in Chicago. 0 problems with the car icing up.

Old 12-28-2017, 11:35 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

It's -21 here (-29) With) the wind chill and no cars on the road have any such problems. can't wait to hear the outcome of this one!

Old 12-29-2017, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member

Dropped off the Jag at the dealer and they gave me an XE loaner. The loaner did not ice up on the ride home.

I like on the new XE that the optional NAV screen has a power off button on the task bar. No more three clicks to shut off the screen. Is that GUI change just a software update?

Old 01-03-2018, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JgaXkr
I am told that the new Range Rover Velar has the same issue. It has to do with a blend flap not operataing properly.
The service writer called me with an update. He said it was the blend flap was bent or not seated correctly. Hardware related and was kind of big job. He said that was completed and wanted to test it before releasing the car.

They aslo had to order a piece for the seat belt. He did not have the details on the seat belt issue just yet. I said if it was a faulty part on the seat belt, how did they let a car go after I paid dealer prep? They sold me an unsafe car if that's case.

Old 01-10-2018, 01:55 PM
Veteran Member

Got the car back today but it's unusually warm out.

The actuator rod in blend door was disconnected.

They also had to replace a seat belt buckle... I am disappointed they did not check to ensure working seat belts when I bought the car.

The service writer was good and I hope the car is now ice free inside!

Old 01-15-2018, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member

Need to bring the car back to the dealer again.

Somehow, they managed to get grey paint or something else all over the black trim around the windows and side view mirrors on the passenger side. I tried "Bug & Tar Remover" & Meguiars Cleaner Wax; neither did anything...

They also did a sub par repair of one the wheels. Looks just as bad as if they just left the damage alone. There is a big dull circle where they "fixed" the scratch like they just sanded the wheel in that area & that's it... Why can't they just put in the effort to respray/repair the wheel correct the first time?

Old 01-15-2018, 08:55 AM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Need to bring the car back to the dealer again.

Somehow, they managed to get grey paint or something else all over the black trim around the windows and side view mirrors on the passenger side. I tried "Bug & Tar Remover" & Meguiars Cleaner Wax; neither did anything...

They also did a sub par repair of one the wheels. Looks just as bad as if they just left the damage alone. There is a big dull circle where they "fixed" the scratch like they just sanded the wheel in that area & that's it... Why can't they just put in the effort to respray/repair the wheel correct the first time?
Best of luck with that wheel. Dealer here failed 3 times to fix my wheels (to be fair all contracted to a wheel guy. Actually 2 different wheel guys) and I ended up having to get them powedercoated which is fine, but what a hassle.

Here was the "F it, just paint over the dust and dirt" paint job
https://i.imgur.com/3uRLWRr.jpg

and the "As long as we paint 90% of the rim that's good enough" paint job
https://i.imgur.com/MJWUf2B.jpg

Just a couple of the pics of the terrible job. This after 2 previous failed attempts. Needless to say I was not happy. When I asked the service manager why on earth the adviser would call me and say "it's done, looks good" his reply was "well the service advisers aren't QC inspectors" The conversation escalated a bit from there.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by carpenter75
Just a couple of the pics of the terrible job. This after 2 previous failed attempts. Needless to say I was not happy. When I asked the service manager why on earth the adviser would call me and say "it's done, looks good" his reply was "well the service advisers aren't QC inspectors" The conversation escalated a bit from there.
Another complaint that I had and happens every time I go there is that I had the TPMS set to Light Lode and the pressure equal at 37 psi at all corners. I pick up the car and it drives like a tank. Get home and see they "fixed it" to Normal Lode and 47 psi in the tires! Every F-ing time I go there I ask them to keep the pressures where they are. Service guy went out of his way to change my TPMS and set the pressure to something that drives like crap. It must be in their notes on my previous services as I have dinged them in my scores when I get a survey. The service writer started saying something about the techs and setting it for winter... I just cut him off right there as he was good up until some BS about the winter and the pressure. I feel like these techs are on auto-pilot and don't even consider how the customer has the car set. "37 psi at all corners it read, I wonder if they have it set to light lode???" Did not even bother to look. They should know that car rides horribly at that pressure unless there's 4 passengers or a lot in the trunk. I do notice it rides better at high pressure when the car is full, but the car can only be so full as they delivered me a car with a fault seat buckle...

Old 01-19-2018, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member

The dealer was gracious enough to pick up my XE at my house and drop off another XE while they redo the wheel and repair the damage to the trim. I think an abrasive polish should take that stuff off, but I did not have any or would've just done it myself.

They dropped off a Quartzite Bronze colored car that is really great looking. I would recommend the color if you have not seen it in person. I would've bought one if there was an R Sport in that color when I bought my car.

Old 01-19-2018, 03:43 PM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I brought my XE to my dealer yesterday to buy a new key and have it paired with the car. When they gave the car back to me I discovered that they had changed the tire setting from low load to regular load, without adding any air to the tires. So my dashboard warning showed low air in all of the tires.

I nearly panicked before I realized that it was just some moronic tech’s stupidity.

Old 01-21-2018, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by booklaw1
I brought my XE to my dealer yesterday to buy a new key and have it paired with the car. When they gave the car back to me I discovered that they had changed the tire setting from low load to regular load, without adding any air to the tires. So my dashboard warning showed low air in all of the tires.

I nearly panicked before I realized that it was just some moronic tech’s stupidity.
If they filled the tires to 43/47 you'd be like "why does this car drive like tank on solid wheels as your fillings come lose..." I drove 150 miles RT yesterday in my loaner that is at those pressures; did not like at all... Not going to change it since it's their car.

*** Jaguar needs to rename "Light Lode" to "Normal Mode" and "Normal Mode" to "Heavy Lode" since that is what they are actually for once you read the documentation.***