XE ( X760 ) 2015 -

My two biggest complaints with my XE. What's yours?

Old 10-05-2017, 07:12 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by KC-
In that case yes. It isn't a very long trunk...
Ironically, I've been in an xf loaner for over a week now and a set of golf clubs do not even come close to fitting across the back of the xf. That was a bit surprising. They have to go in at at 45 degree angle. And as I quickly found out by having to reach into the trunk a ways to pull them out, the exhaust tips stick out beyond the bumper cover. Nice little burn on my leg. Lesson learned there.

Old 10-06-2017, 08:49 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

>Ironically, I've been in an xf loaner for over a week now and a set of golf clubs do not even come close to fitting across the back of the xf.

Is that true with a full set? My bag, with a folded pull-cart, just barely fits but I have to remove my driver and other long handled clubs.
==================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons
2015 JCNA National Slalom Champion Class M
Current: '08 Jaguar S-Type 4.2 "Satin Edition" (250.06 whp / 259.67 torque)
Past: '05 X-Type 3.0/auto Jaguar Racing Green

Old 10-06-2017, 12:42 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Just spent two days in a weirdly configured XE loaner while my XJ was in the shop. It was a diesel with all the R-Sport trim. Must be a Vegas thing. Anyhow, here are my gripes and observations.

Gripes:

19" wheels do the ride no favours. The roads out here will quickly have you wishing for more sidewall. The Pirellis were loud on certain surfaces even at a mere 45 mph. Would like to try the car on 18" rolling stock.

I have to agree that the trunk is narrow. I know that folks like a powered trunk lid, but the required arms take up a shed load of space. My old S60 had a similarly small trunk lid but cunning hinges that took up very little space. Of course, you had to slam it yourself. BFD.

Some of the plastic switchgear screams "built to a price". Funny thing was a coworker who had a M-B GLA said the cost cutting was worse in the Benz.

Jaguar REALLY need to work on the motor mounts of the diesel engine. It has a gravelly tone and the vibrations are easily felt. Think T-Rex gargling light bulbs.

Things I did like:

Indicated 46.6 MPG on a surface street commute with stop signs, lights and school zones. Can't do that in a 2012 5.0 XJ.

Great transmission calibration.

Great looks.

It has a spare tyre!!!! So many brands are no sales to me because they have no spare, not even a donut. No spare means no sale here in the desert SW.

An observation:

I don't know how the door armrest complainers are sitting, but my guess is way too far back. If you have to lean forward to get a proper hand grip on the top of the wheel, you are too far away by definition. That's non-negotiable with me. If you can do that and still not get your elbow on the armrest you must have some seriously long arms for your height. I also can't see how you can achieve a proper two-handed hold on the steering wheel (ten to two or quarter to three) have your elbows on the armrests.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:23 PM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Just lost another (the second) tire on my R-Sport in less than 6000 miles. Sidewall bubble. I do not know yet about the rim underneath. The service guy told me that any pothole bad enough to create a bubble will often bend or crack a rim. Once again, they have to order the tire (Pirelli P7 Cinturato) because they don’t keep them in stock.

I’m really glad I bought the tire and rim replacement insurance!

Old 10-10-2017, 07:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

One thing I just remember I dislike on all JLR cars are the wipers. Get rid of the auto sensing wipers! The intermittent wipers setting are worthless. There's no difference between minimum and maximum... Just use a simple wiper technology and that is all that's needed... Save the money & engineering for something else.

Old 10-17-2017, 07:59 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Complaint #1- ticking noise from under the gas pedal floor mat carpeting. Constant ticking when weather is hot. When it gets cold it goes away. Dealer had 4 attempts at it and still didn't fix it.

Complaint #2- Dust in the instrument cluster after only 3000 miles. Cant clean it behind the protective glass without pulling out the whole cluster...Didn't expect this in the luxury car.

Old 12-27-2017, 09:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. No standard proximity key or SiriusXM. Most low end Dodges come with both. VWs did.
2. Needs a place to place car keys
3.Of course the phone promptly connecting to the phone but forever to connect to music. I listen to youtube videos and miss 3 minutes before it syncs and I have to start the video over.
4. Needs locking fuel door if fuel prices skyrocket again.
5. Can barely hear customer service when you push the button. The people that answer and their native language are very hard to understand.
6. Compass on instrument panel or option to turn it on.

Old 12-28-2017, 07:19 AM
Veteran Member

Am I the only one or does the Spotify default to U2 in the Jag? Very odd as the album it plays is nothing I have ever searched or asked Spotify to play

Old 12-28-2017, 03:04 PM
Received 4,175 Likes on 3,638 Posts

must have power to release electronic parking brake
transmission release to put in neutral when battery dead - not covered in manuals - had to call dealer and got 2 different answers - on mine it is in engine bay under engine cover
no tow hook included in my tool kit although manual says it is standard

Old 01-01-2018, 03:10 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. "Knocking" noise coming from the rear roof passenger cabin. Noise only happens when driving on bumpy roads. Already had Jaguar take a look at it, but apparently the fix didn't fix it at all.
2. The infotainment system doesn't always sync up with my smartphone.

Old 01-02-2018, 05:01 PM
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Transmission programming - drive a Maserati with same transmission and it's light years better than what Jaguar has done.

Brakes - They look cheap and provide just average braking power

Sim Card - Who cares... Just show me a map and give voice directions. All this other crap is just that; crap. Keep it simple and make the screens snappy.

Seat Programming - If it's the blazing hot out, the car should know you want to turn on the cooling function, not default to heated seats. Would be great if a threshold could be set for automatic heating or cooling when the car starts.
Performance brakes upgrade is well worth it, basically the same as fitted to the S stop brilliant.

My gripes are the half cut off car view in the rear view mirror and that there is no protection on the rear sill from road rash, got it sorted myself. Apart from that, everything works fine.

Old 01-03-2018, 01:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ian D
Performance brakes upgrade is well worth it, basically the same as fitted to the S stop brilliant.
Was at the dealer the other day and XE S brakes look like the normal ones, but painted red. What is different about them?

Old 01-03-2018, 06:16 PM

350mm as opposed to 325mm and much larger calipers.

Old 01-03-2018, 07:31 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Ian D
350mm as opposed to 325mm and much larger calipers.

Those here in the US (I assume other markets) with the 2017 and 2018 35T have the same 13.8 inch front (350mm) and 12.8 inch rear (325mm) brakes as the S. The 35T is now gone from the lineup, however.
The 30T and 25T has 12.8/12.8 inch and the 20D diesel has 12.4/11.8

Last edited by carpenter75; 01-03-2018 at 07:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (01-04-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 08:26 PM

Was just a £265 option to spec the performance brake upgrade on my 25t. Well worth it for the price IMO.

Old 01-04-2018, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member

I wish there were a fancy brake option when I bought my car. Alfa and Maserati both offer much nicer looking calipers than Jaguar does on the XE (at least here in the US).

Old 01-12-2018, 11:38 PM

Biggest gripes I have with my XE-S is how easily my paint has scratched and how sensitive the tire pressure sensors are. Got two rock chips within the first month of owning the car and went and got them repaired and put a paint protection film on the car.

Last edited by TheIceman131; 01-12-2018 at 11:42 PM.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by TheIceman131
Biggest gripes I have with my XE-S is how easily my paint has scratched
Agreed on the paint. Year newer JLR product I get, the softer the paint becomes. The paint is inferior to the German marques IMO due to their softness. No one cares about ecology if their paint scratches by looking at it... The colors look nice, but they always have...

The following users liked this post:
TheIceman131 (01-16-2018)
Old 01-15-2018, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Agreed on the paint. Year newer JLR product I get, the softer the paint becomes. The paint is inferior to the German marques IMO due to their softness. No one cares about ecology if their paint scratches by looking at it... The colors look nice, but they always have...
I ended up having to get a paint protection film put on my cat about a month after ownership.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:44 AM
Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Loaner Reminded me...

I was in a loaner for my annual service, and it reminded me of a couple gripes.

1) Auto start/stop defaults to 'On', where it should be programmable either direction (IE: Default to off). (There are fixes like pulling a plug or ecu programming.)

2) 120 MPH Speed limiter on the USA spec jags. (Can be rectified with an ecu program.)

3) Heated windshield in the loaner XE had a screen-door effect that drove me CRAZY. If you don't need it, don't get it.

4) Factory Continentals not sticky 'enuff to handle the horsepower of that lovely 6 cylinder engine...

5) Navi system is a little average. (You can speed it up easily and cheaply by upgrading your SD card to a class 10 media. Thanks Sam486).

6) I wish the sunroof controls were located down on the center console, not on the roof...

These are all minor and I am no longer affected by gripes 1-4 after the ECU tune and new rubber. :-)

Last edited by Austin7; 01-16-2018 at 08:54 AM.

Search this Thread