Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XE ( X760 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xe-x760-85/)
-   -   Random Beeping While Driving (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xe-x760-85/random-beeping-while-driving-177808/)

KayuJag 03-06-2017 12:57 PM

Random Beeping While Driving

I have a Jaguar XE 2017 and while driving through the same intersections or area of the city I get random beeps (2 at a time), there are no symbols that pop up on the dash that I have noticed but I am wondering what the beeps are warning me about.

This isn't a seat belt warning beep.

We aren't able to find anything in the manual in regards to warning beeps.

It has happened at four way intersections with lights, and even on straight roads ways.

Please help as this is a little annoying.

booklaw1 03-06-2017 01:12 PM

Could it be a blind spot mirror warning? Or a cross-traffic warning?

KayuJag 03-06-2017 01:26 PM

I do have the blind spot warning and cross traffic warning but this isn't the case.

It happens in the same intersection whether there are cars near by or not.

It is a quick 2 beep while driving or coming to a stop at a red light. And we have notice it only happens in one direction. We could be driving through the same intersection the other way and there is no beep-beep.

Demetre Gvaramia 03-06-2017 01:29 PM

Can it be your parking sensors going off due to some object being to close to your vehicle at the stop light?

KayuJag 03-06-2017 01:32 PM

I'm not sure, the car isn't in park while I am sitting at a light.

It is almost like the car is detecting something while driving.

Demetre Gvaramia 03-06-2017 01:34 PM

The car does not need to be in P for parking sensors to function.

Can it be Automatic Emergency Braking? If you are approaching a stationary object too quick, the car might alert you with a beep.

KayuJag 03-06-2017 01:42 PM

It could be, but on one of the roads here we are going uphill when the beeping occurs, but coming to a light it is a flat surface. It happens every time I go down the same roads or the same intersections.

I don't think it could be the emergency braking either.

NewLester de Rocin 03-06-2017 02:24 PM

I love a puzzle.
I've already been involved in a great mystery with someone else's XE from England, on one of the other forums.

First, you must tell us in detail what 2017 XE you bought. Did you buy it in the UK? Is it the base-version, US-Premium version, US-Prestige version, or R-sport, etc?

This will help us know how your different systems are tricked out to work.

Let's see now...
Blind Spot Detection in the US models DON'T have an audible option---they are silent lights in your mirrors.

Cross Traffic warnings ARE audible+visual,... but are supposed to operate only when your vehicle is reversing, or standing perfectly still with a gearshift active. The beeping is also very rapid beeps.

Parking sensors are active any time that you slow down and are approaching a curb or bump higher than 3 inches off the ground. Like a parking curbstop.
For instance, my driveway at home is very narrow, with a high sidewalk curb at either end. If I approach it with my nose or my rear-end to near the sidewalk curb, I get a quick parking sensor beeps.

Hope we can begin to help you.

drtdvl 03-06-2017 09:22 PM

Is it the traffic camera warnings that are part of the maps in the navigation system? If you check your settings, you may have traffic cameras (or red light cameras) turned on.

BigCat09 03-07-2017 08:06 AM

Is there a way to get audible warning for the Blind Spot to work? I get warning sounds for everything else except the blind spot which I only get visual warnings. The audible warning would be great!

Can we change the distance on the AEB warning as well as mine gets triggered way to easy?

NewLester de Rocin 03-07-2017 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by drtdvl (Post 1633801)
Is it the traffic camera warnings that are part of the maps in the navigation system? If you check your settings, you may have traffic cameras (or red light cameras) turned on.

Good point. That is all dependent on what model XE he has, and if he has the intouch or intouchPro navigation package.

The US intouch standard does not have beeping alerts for traffic cameras (I don't think, anyway). Mine strictly uses a voice to alert you of traffic problems, and speed limit excess.
Not beeps for those things.

NewLester de Rocin 03-07-2017 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by BigCat09 (Post 1633997)
Is there a way to get audible warning for the Blind Spot to work? I get warning sounds for everything else except the blind spot which I only get visual warnings. The audible warning would be great!

Can we change the distance on the AEB warning as well as mine gets triggered way to easy?

I don't think it's configurable. Blind Spot systems seem to be deliberately an "indicator", and not a real "warning" with a sound.
All the cars I've tried (not a whole lot) have visual-only, with not beeping.

This might make sense, since in expressway traffic, that darn beeping might drive you nuts with cars jockeying alongside you every 5 seconds.

Yikes! what are you doing with your car that you're triggering AEB regularly? I thought that only triggers if the car senses you haven't applied your brakes yet when you're RUSHING up on someone's rear...

LOL, BigCat09, are you an off-duty policeman?:icon_razz:

BigCat09 03-07-2017 02:50 PM

My AEB triggers al the time, maybe it thinks I can coming up onto the forward car way to quickly? IT just flashes red and beeps at me. I swear it just started to beep more often since I played with the guided cruise button on the wheel the other day. Time to bust out the manual and read on this.

The way the Blind Spot warning works on my other cars is if and only there is a car when the indicator is on and you put a blinker on to that lane it will give an audible beep. If you don't use a blinker during this time then just the indicator lights up. Very handy to have with sound and always works great with no false triggers.

Kevin Hamilton 11-23-2018 05:14 AM

Little late

Late to this but I found this page and I’m extremely curious to what this beeping is. I have a 2018 Jaguar XF-S and call me crazy but I only hear this beep beep noise when I go through an intersection that has a red light camera.

Prange 11-23-2018 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin Hamilton (Post 1992309)
Late to this but I found this page and I’m extremely curious to what this beeping is. I have a 2018 Jaguar XF-S and call me crazy but I only hear this beep beep noise when I go through an intersection that has a red light camera.

I believe you're correct on the red light camera.

It's useless,because when it beeps, you can see the camera, which means it's too late for you to slow down.

If you can see the camera, it's already got you.

booklaw1 11-23-2018 10:52 AM

As far as I know (and I could certainly be wrong), the beeps indicate speed detectors as well as red light cameras. I usually hear the beeps halfway down the block before I am anywhere near the intersection. I have not received any speeding tickets in spite of having a heavy foot on the gas pedal, so I believe the beeps to be quite useful.

BrendonSF 04-03-2019 09:27 AM

For what it's worth, I have a 2017 XE and also experience random parking sensor beeping while driving for no reason. It was driving us mad, but I finally figured out the cause: power lines

When driving under low-hanging power lines, the electromagnetic interference seems to throw off the system. Not sure if this is normal behavior or not. Going to ask the dealer next time I'm in.

chrisjp 04-04-2019 05:50 PM

In the UK I finally realized that the beep-beep that I was getting periodically was when I approached a roadside speed camera. I suspect the warning is triggered by the windscreen camera (and not the GPS system) recognizing the speed camera. The windscreen camera is also used to recognize speed limit signs and provide the display of the speed limit on the instrument panel. Not sure how this might apply in the US but I guess red light cameras at intersections might be triggering the beeps.
In the UK the system is quite useful because it provides a warning of the approaching speed camera - which only triggers if you pass it above the speed limit. There is however NO mention of this feature that I could find in the manual. I guess I could speculate why....but I won't!

NewLester de Rocin 04-09-2019 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by BrendonSF (Post 2049818)
For what it's worth, I have a 2017 XE and also experience random parking sensor beeping while driving for no reason. It was driving us mad, but I finally figured out the cause: power lines

When driving under low-hanging power lines, the electromagnetic interference seems to throw off the system. Not sure if this is normal behavior or not. Going to ask the dealer next time I'm in.

Sharing the same parent owner makes Jaguar and Land Rover an interesting pair of siblings.
They don't have anywhere the same interests in the driving experience (the magic a Land Rover does on the terrain and weathered road is nowhere related to the magic a Jaguar does on the motorway and weathered road).

But ever so often technology or sensors or gadgets from one company is DUPLICATED in a the other company's cars.

I climbed into a 2019 Land Rover Discovery a month ago, and found it had the exact same SatNav system my 2017 Jaguar has. Normally Land Rover packages it own very different, posh-posh sounding SatNav system that has nothing in common with the Jag's system.

The Radar Pulse warning system in the Range Rover Velar behaves exactly as you're describing is happening in your Jaguar:
It uses the forward radar sensors of your car to detect when any radar gun is "pinging" somewhere ahead of you (usually about 400 ft). That means any active speed camera mounted near school intersections, or even an active speed gun sitting in an unmarked police vehicle, will trigger the beeping in your car. It doesn't mean the camera is pinging on YOU---it just means it's live and has just pinged on the traffic somewhere ahead of you. LOL, no it's not designed to be a counter-tactic against the police, just to be a reminder to you to pay attention to the intersection speed requirements.

Since this feature is (stolen, LOL?) from Land Rover, it may be hard for you to find where in your Jaguar setup menu this option can be found and turned off, if you desire.
The Range Rover makes it easy to find and disable.... but the Jaguar may not.

Sensitivity to the overhanging power lines is something that I think should NOT be considered normal behavior for the sensor system If it's beeping for something like that, some other aspect of that system may NOT behave properly at a time when you car's safety may depend on it.

Yes, do go have it looked at by the dealer. And don't let the dealer shrug you off, just because it's something he'll have to spend time investigating and testing.

BrendonSF 04-09-2019 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by NewLester de Rocin (Post 2052668)
Sharing the same parent owner makes Jaguar and Land Rover an interesting pair of siblings.
They don't have anywhere the same interests in the driving experience (the magic a Land Rover does on the terrain and weathered road is nowhere related to the magic a Jaguar does on the motorway and weathered road).

But ever so often technology or sensors or gadgets from one company is DUPLICATED in a the other company's cars.

I climbed into a 2019 Land Rover Discovery a month ago, and found it had the exact same SatNav system my 2017 Jaguar has. Normally Land Rover packages it own very different, posh-posh sounding SatNav system that has nothing in common with the Jag's system.

The Radar Pulse warning system in the Range Rover Velar behaves exactly as you're describing is happening in your Jaguar:
It uses the forward radar sensors of your car to detect when any radar gun is "pinging" somewhere ahead of you (usually about 400 ft). That means any active speed camera mounted near school intersections, or even an active speed gun sitting in an unmarked police vehicle, will trigger the beeping in your car. It doesn't mean the camera is pinging on YOU---it just means it's live and has just pinged on the traffic somewhere ahead of you. LOL, no it's not designed to be a counter-tactic against the police, just to be a reminder to you to pay attention to the intersection speed requirements.

Since this feature is (stolen, LOL?) from Land Rover, it may be hard for you to find where in your Jaguar setup menu this option can be found and turned off, if you desire.
The Range Rover makes it easy to find and disable.... but the Jaguar may not.

Sensitivity to the overhanging power lines is something that I think should NOT be considered normal behavior for the sensor system If it's beeping for something like that, some other aspect of that system may NOT behave properly at a time when you car's safety may depend on it.

Yes, do go have it looked at by the dealer. And don't let the dealer shrug you off, just because it's something he'll have to spend time investigating and testing.

Many thanks for the thoughtful response. To be clear, my car is not equipped with any of the traffic sign recognition or forward radar technology. Only Park Distance Control and Automatic Emergency Breaking.